PDA

View Full Version : Metrodome Collapses

2BNTV
12-12-2010, 11:31 AM
The Metrodome roof collapse in Minny postponing the Giants - Vikings game.

I had made plans with my nephew to see this game at a sports bar.

Holy cow - Who woulda thunk it?

This game is to be rescheduled for a Monday and Tuesday and the Giants play the Eagles next Sunday.

How does this impact the Giants chances getting into the playoffs?

English Ivy
12-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Before the roof collapsed the game had already been postponed until Monday due to the Giants being stuck in Kansas City because of the weather.

It's a good thing because otherwise people could have been in the dome if they were getting ready to play a game today.

njbchbum
12-12-2010, 11:41 AM
since it isn't a division game, can't they cancel it and play it at the end of the season in the event that either team needs the game to determine a playoff spot? of course, that just eliminates a whole lot of revenue for vendors; and we all know how teams count on that gravy $$. the economics of the game will prevail rather than the common sense - it's sports.

chuckinca
12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Apparently the Metrodome roof has collapsed a few times before due to heavy snow on the roof. It is held up by air pressure; people coming and going use revolving doors to keep the air pressure in the building.

2BNTV
12-12-2010, 11:56 AM
since it isn't a division game, can't they cancel it and play it at the end of the season in the event that either team needs the game to determine a playoff spot? of course, that just eliminates a whole lot of revenue for vendors; and we all know how teams count on that gravy $$. the economics of the game will prevail rather than the common sense - it's sports.

I may be wrong but they have to play this game on Monday or Tuesday and not at the end of the season as the playoffs would be starting then. The season needs to end on schedule, (week 17or January 2, 2011), to determine who is in the playoffs. The Giants would be affected as they will have a short week until they play the Eagles.

Your right about the economics taking precedent over everything else. It might turn out to be a logistical nightmare in trying to determine where the game is to be played.

I hope all invovled will have a safe transport to the location of the rescheduled game.

Minnesotalyn
12-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Yea, It sucks too be up here. The media up here is saying they could play at the Gophers stadium but that would be outside and the temps are suppose to be around 10 below without the wind chill.:ohdear:

Shimpy
12-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Yea, It sucks too be up here. The media up here is saying they could play at the Gophers stadium but that would be outside and the temps are suppose to be around 10 below without the wind chill.:ohdear:

Great watching a game like that in the comfort of my living room. Another Ice Bowl.

Pturner
12-12-2010, 02:34 PM
We're having snow flurries in ATL! :eek: No danger of roof collapsing though. :)

Minnesotalyn
12-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Just in on our news network, Viking, Giants game heads to Detroit Monday night

14thMed
12-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Just like the Vikings

mitchbr47
12-12-2010, 03:03 PM
The Metrodome roof collapse in Minny postponing the Giants - Vikings game.

I had made plans with my nephew to see this game at a sports bar.

Holy cow - Who woulda thunk it?

This game is to be rescheduled for a Monday and Tuesday and the Giants play the Eagles next Sunday.

How does this impact the Giants chances getting into the playoffs?

I saw the collapse on the pre game. Fortunately no one was hurt.

They are playing the game indoors at Ford Field in Detroit. 7 pm on Fox in the Minnesota and NY market. Folks at todays's GB-Lions game get in with a ticket stub. Holders of the NY-Minn game tickets get better seating. Travel to Detroit might be dicy with their weather. General admission tickets are free, but must be picked up in advance. They will make $$ on concessions. The Ford Field is not an inflatable dome like the Metrodome.

At least the Lions, the worst franchise in pro sports the last 50 years won't be playing. With the crap they put on the field they still make money.

chuckinca
12-12-2010, 03:39 PM
At least the Lions, the worst franchise in pro sports the last 100 years won't be playing.

Corrected your post.

spk7951
12-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Saw the video of the Metrodome collapse today and it is really something to see.

Back in 1978 I had tickets to a Hartford Whalers hockey game, that is until the night before the game the roof of the civic center collapsed just hours after a college basketball game.