*The Help
*Super Favorites

Midge538
12-23-2010, 09:05 AM
"The New Yorker Stories" Ann Beattie
"An Object of Beauty" Steve Martin

Barefoot
12-23-2010, 01:37 PM
I loved the triology starting with "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". The books are slow in the beginning, but well worth pursuing.

villages07
12-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I was just up at B&N with my 25% off any one item coupon in hand. Planned to buy either Grisham's "Confession" or sequel to "The Nanny Diaries" which is in paperback. Even with the discount, Grisham would be $15 and Nanny was $15 (yikes, when did paperbooks get so expensive!!!) ..so would have been 11 with discount.

I gave my coupon to someone else and will buy both as ebooks and read them on the iPad.

I guess I'm so used to $5-$7 paperbacks at Sam's/Costco that I was astounded at how expensive they've gotten in the 'real' store. So, prices will probably push me to ebooks sooner than I expected.

I'm reading 61 hours by Lee Child on Nook for iPad right now. I kinda like the look and feel. Can set my own fonts and color scheme (black letters on a pale yellow background).

Minnesotalyn
12-23-2010, 02:51 PM
That's why book stores are going out of business. I just bought Southern Lights by Danielle Steel at Wallmart for $5.99:thumbup: I was just up at B&N with my 25% off any one item coupon in hand. Planned to buy either Grisham's "Confession" or sequel to "The Nanny Diaries" which is in paperback. Even with the discount, Grisham would be $15 and Nanny was $15 (yikes, when did paperbooks get so expensive!!!) ..so would have been 11 with discount.

I gave my coupon to someone else and will buy both as ebooks and read them on the iPad.

I guess I'm so used to $5-$7 paperbacks at Sam's/Costco that I was astounded at how expensive they've gotten in the 'real' store. So, prices will probably push me to ebooks sooner than I expected.

I'm reading 61 hours by Lee Child on Nook for iPad right now. I kinda like the look and feel. Can set my own fonts and color scheme (black letters on a pale yellow background).

Taj44
12-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Some of the ebooks are pretty expensive too. I've just been buying used books online, and rarely spend more than $5 to $8 or so, and that includes shipping. I think the advantage with ebooks, is that you will eventually be able to get them from libraries (for free).

Avista
12-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Some of the ebooks are pretty expensive too. I've just been buying used books online, and rarely spend more than $5 to $8 or so, and that includes shipping. I think the advantage with ebooks, is that you will eventually be able to get them from libraries (for free).
Go to Philadelphia Free Library http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com/3FEDB02C-C2CA-4500-A795-B2F2AEEE0853/10/354/en/BrowseeBooks.htm
Live out of PA pay $15 per year. They have loads of e-books that you can download to most e-readers. My Nook is loaded with library e-books.

Villages Library says they are coming, but they don't have them yet.

MSNPA
12-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I love reading and I am still reading books while thinking about a Kindle. Usually I read current bestsellers (fiction), however this year I searched out previous bestselling books I missed.
Here are some of my favorites that I've read recently:

Paris Trout - Pete Dexter (great)
The Post Birthday World - Lionel Shriver (fantastic)
We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver (fantastic)
Mrs. Kimble - Jennifer Haigh (great)
Becoming Strangers - Louise Dean (good)

Taj44
02-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Go to Philadelphia Free Library http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com/3FEDB02C-C2CA-4500-A795-B2F2AEEE0853/10/354/en/BrowseeBooks.htm
Live out of PA pay $15 per year. They have loads of e-books that you can download to most e-readers. My Nook is loaded with library e-books.

Villages Library says they are coming, but they don't have them yet.

Thanks for the link. I did go and join the library, and have been happily downloading library ebooks to my Nook.

I think my favorite book recently has been "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, author of "Seabiscuit". Terrific biography and exciting adventure story set during World War II.

dfn8tly
02-09-2011, 10:24 AM
I never thought an old hard-cover only bibliophile like myself would ever resort to an "electronic" book. However, about a month ago I bought the new generation Kindle on the recommendations of a couple of my friends. What have I been missing? This is wonderful. Strongly suggest everyone look into it.

K9-Lovers
02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes, I'm a die-hard book lover (you know the old-fashioned books printed on paper?), yet I am reading almost everything now on my Nook and love it.

With Nook, I get Library books for free, and also anyone can get free books from Google Books online.

Right Now I'm reading :

Freedom by Franzen, and
The Art of Racing in The Rain by Stein.

Taj44
02-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I loved Art of Racing in the Rain.

Pturner
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Loved The Help, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse.

I also am a history buff and love classical literature, so I tend to alternate among recent fiction, non-fiction and classics. Most recent classical re-reads-- both among my favorites-- were East of Eden by Steinbeck and Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. Just started reading, Ratification (non-fiction) by Pauline Maier. My book club just read, My First Two Women, an excellent short story by Nadine Gordimar.

K9-Lovers
02-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Yup, I'm a classics fan, too. It figures . . .

tudacee
02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
I have a short story for the Nook and Kindle. This one is humorous...and you can download a free sample before buying. Let me know what you think...you can get it for the Nook at Barnes&Noble online

http://tinyurl.com/LasVegasSeagull

or for kindle, apple devices: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15195

Would love feedback....

Avista
02-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes, I'm a die-hard book lover (you know the old-fashioned books printed on paper?), yet I am reading almost everything now on my Nook and love it.

With Nook, I get Library books for free, and also anyone can get free books from Google Books online.

Right Now I'm reading :

Freedom by Franzen, and
The Art of Racing in The Rain by Stein.

What did you think of Freedom? I have it on my Nook too and so far haven't been able to get into it.

jblum8156
02-12-2011, 10:51 PM
What did you think of Freedom? I have it on my Nook too and so far haven't been able to get into it.

Didn't care for Freedom. Never finished it. I just read The Imperfectionists, and I loved it.

brostholder
02-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Here are my favorites of the last few months:
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand; The Confession by John Grisham; Worth Dying For by Lee Child; The Help by Kathryn Stockett; The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy; Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes; The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy; Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

tudacee
02-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Just bought a refurbished Nook online from B&N for $99. I usually buy my laptops refurbished (by manufacturer) and have always had luck, hope the same is true with the Nook. I'm so excited, I already signed up for the Philadelphia Free Library while waiting the delivery of my Nook.

Some good books to read that I've enjoyed:

American Rose: A Nation Laid Bare: the Life & Times of Gypsy Rose Lee (bio and fascinating reading!)

Death by Black Hole (non-fiction)

Red Wolf by Liza Marklund (a Swedish author like Stieg...) mystery

I want my Nook now! lol
:crap2:

Donna

JenAjd
03-05-2011, 12:30 PM
A bit off the track of "good" books. I don't have a reader yet but am seriously considering a Kindle. I don't know a whole lot about them except the 2 most popular ones are priced differently---$139 and $189. What other differences are there in these. I've been a prolific reader until about the last year when my eyesight seemed to take a change and it's harder for me to read w/o alot of strain. I'm thinking with a Kindle I can adjust the letter-size to be more comfortable. I was thinking of ordering thru Amazon but if there are other good outlets for that...I'd consider that too.

Can anyone offer some tips?? You can either respond here or email me privately!! Thanks a bunch ahead of time!

BeeGee
03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
because it's small enough to fit in my bag, light so it's easy on my hands, not back-lit so it's easy on my eyes. the $139 model is great - i'll browse @Amazon.com on my laptop for my reads, purchase and seconds later (no, really, seconds!!) the book is on my kindle and i'm ready to read. the differences between this model and the more expensive $189 is not enough for me to warrant paying the extra - if i'm going on a trip and may need several books, i just purchase several books, i don't need internet access while traveling, if you do then get the more expensive one. either way, you'll love it!!

JenAjd
03-05-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm so NOT a techy...can you explain "internet access" for the Kindle while traveling (or whenever else)?? Thanks!!

BeeGee
03-05-2011, 09:38 PM
I guess what I meant to say is the $189 kindle has built-in wi-fi - allowing you to download books wherever you are, as opposed to being able to download from home only w/the $139 version....if you have wireless in your home, you can just download your reads at home. the one w/the built-in wi-fi allows you to be able to download them when you're away from your home. hope this helps, i'm not very techy either.

JenAjd
03-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I guess what I meant to say is the $189 kindle has built-in wi-fi - allowing you to download books wherever you are, as opposed to being able to download from home only w/the $139 version....if you have wireless in your home, you can just download your reads at home. the one w/the built-in wi-fi allows you to be able to download them when you're away from your home. hope this helps, i'm not very techy either.

Oh...thanks that helps a bit!!

K9-Lovers
04-09-2011, 11:06 PM

Sorry it took me so long to respond to you Avista, but I just finished reading Freedom last week.

I liked it. It grabs you and you think about the characters quite a bit in between reads. It helps you see how family members share similarities in character and actions, even spanning generations.

The main character, Patty, still needed work to completely flesh her out. I could tell the book was written by a man. The problem being that Patty is not a man. The way she was written reminded me of a female Woody Allen.

Before this year, I was reading nothing but classics (and a cookbook or how-to book here and there). But because I enjoyed Freedom so much, I will probably read Franzen's The Corrections, which was written several years ago.

waterman1952
04-11-2011, 02:34 PM
My wife just bought a nook and raves about it. She says it's much easier on her eyes than reading from a book and she uses it to go on line via wifi.

red tail
04-11-2011, 03:55 PM

the $139 kindle operates on the sprint network. so wherever there is a sprint signal 'think cell phone' you will be able to shop and download books and newspapers and magazines.

Avista
04-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Sorry it took me so long to respond to you Avista, but I just finished reading Freedom last week.

I liked it. It grabs you and you think about the characters quite a bit in between reads. It helps you see how family members share similarities in character and actions, even spanning generations.

The main character, Patty, still needed work to completely flesh her out. I could tell the book was written by a man. The problem being that Patty is not a man. The way she was written reminded me of a female Woody Allen.

Before this year, I was reading nothing but classics (and a cookbook or how-to book here and there). But because I enjoyed Freedom so much, I will probably read Franzen's The Corrections, which was written several years ago.

Thanks, maybe I should give it another try. Since my Nook was runover (I think) by a car, I have been doing all my reading on my i Pad. I didn't think I would like the back light, but have found it is adjustable. I keep the light low, and use sepia as a background color. This keeps the glare down and it's kind of nice not needing a light over my shoulder. We still have a Nook in the house as my husband has one. Since we share an account, our books are on both his Nook and my Nook AP on my iPad.