PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use a Driving Monitor?

Michael G.
04-04-2024, 12:24 PM
To save on auto Insurance, this option to lower my rate and save was
offered to me to get a discount on my auto insurance.

It's a app that tracks your driving habits.

Anyone have one?

retiredguy123
04-04-2024, 12:27 PM
I don't have one and don't want one. But, just curious, how much is the discount, and, can it increase your rate?

bgnn54
04-04-2024, 12:32 PM
Yes I do, have for a year. Really reduces car insurance. I don't drive very much anymore, maybe a thousand miles a year and I don't drive at night. Paid about $ 550 for 12 months of coverage 300/100/100.

Road-Runner
04-04-2024, 01:11 PM
Big Brother already knows everything about us including driver statistics gleaned from already installed software & monitors built into new cars. So for now you may have a choice, but once we've all purchased these newer vehicles they'll have all the info they need to raise and lower your rates as they see fit. This isn't tin foil hat conspiracy theories, it's already happening and was exposed in a recent article about this. Should be able to Google it.

Bill14564
04-04-2024, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't be interested at this time. I was basically required to use one when I initially signed up with this insurance company (or possibly when I added a new vehicle) but I would not choose to have one full-time.

retiredguy123
04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
I find it difficult to believe that auto insurance companies even care how people drive. Simple math will tell you that these companies must be making a killing selling auto insurance to retirees. Most companies will not even cover a driver for more than $250K, so their overall risk is extremely low, while collecting tens of millions in premiums from Villagers alone.

Maker
04-04-2024, 02:28 PM
The big problem is these devices make mistakes that ding your rating. Then your rate goes up (a lot).
Things like...
Excessive speed in a school zone, such as 40 in a 20; but the school zone is not in effect at that time.
Hard braking; but you avoided an accident as a result = reckless bad behavior.
Speeding in a round about; but you are not in a roundabout you are in the bypass.
Going over 75 at any time.
You have no control over how a valet or mechanic is driving your car.
Following the direction of police at an emergency scene, or at road construction with alternating traffic in a single lane, thus driving the wrong way on a one way. [At a hazardous waste drop off, was directed the wrong way and the car alarmed loudly about that]
Roads change over time (speed limits, lanes, construction, one ways become two ways), and maps take a while to update; so every time you are doing the new "right thing" you are being flagged for dangerous driving.
Stopping on a limited access highway; even if there is an accident or heavy traffic.
Driving off road because the map doesn't have your new development's roads yet.

Surely none of these happen here LOL

Michael G.
04-04-2024, 03:32 PM
The big problem is these devices make mistakes that ding your rating. Then your rate goes up (a lot).
Things like...
Excessive speed in a school zone, such as 40 in a 20; but the school zone is not in effect at that time.
Hard braking; but you avoided an accident as a result = reckless bad behavior.
Speeding in a round about; but you are not in a roundabout you are in the bypass.
Going over 75 at any time.
You have no control over how a valet or mechanic is driving your car.
Following the direction of police at an emergency scene, or at road construction with alternating traffic in a single lane, thus driving the wrong way on a one way. [At a hazardous waste drop off, was directed the wrong way and the car alarmed loudly about that]
Roads change over time (speed limits, lanes, construction, one ways become two ways), and maps take a while to update; so every time you are doing the new "right thing" you are being flagged for dangerous driving.
Stopping on a limited access highway; even if there is an accident or heavy traffic.
Driving off road because the map doesn't have your new development's roads yet.

Surely none of these happen here LOL

Some good points here not to get one.

To hi-jacket my own post here a little, yesterday I sat down with my insurance people and to figure out ways to lower my premiums, (I drive a 9 yr old Highlander.)

The lady behind the desk said all those new safety features that come with
new cars, there's a big insurance discount on them.

I said well, if there's a accident with all the sensors, relay switches etc. that need to be adjusted, plus the body work, your discount just went out the window because
your insurance has to pay.

Everything went silent.

tophcfa
04-04-2024, 03:47 PM
Nfw

vintageogauge
04-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Big Brother already knows everything about us including driver statistics gleaned from already installed software & monitors built into new cars. So for now you may have a choice, but once we've all purchased these newer vehicles they'll have all the info they need to raise and lower your rates as they see fit. This isn't tin foil hat conspiracy theories, it's already happening and was exposed in a recent article about this. Should be able to Google it.

Ford is the only company that doesn't sell it's information to insurance companies. All of the others do so they know how you're driving.

PJMac
04-04-2024, 05:42 PM
I did a quick check on this because, well, TOTV. It looks to me like this was true until very recently. Ford apparently now sells to lexnexis who makes it available to insurance companies.

Fastskiguy
04-05-2024, 04:24 AM
We have them and are saving about $230/yr between the two cars. I'm at or close to 100 (perfect) on braking and phone distraction but "fair" on acceleration (because electric car) and speed (because of the hell that is I75). Cornering is always "needs improvement" because spirited corning is fun.

The ramp northbound onto the turnpike at 301 is a tough place. Uphill, on a corner, with a bridge shortly after the merge lane ends. It's nice to hit the merge area at 60-70mph, and the electric car does that with ease, but I get dinged there every single time for excessive acceleration. Sure guys, just try to accelerate slowly there and see how it goes for you! Grrrrr!

Roundabouts ding me for cornering all of the time.

I kinda resent it but I kinda like the idea of monitoring driver behavior too. So many lunatics on the roads these days.

On my thing you can pull up your drives on your phone and see where your violations occurred. I think it makes you a safer driver, just knowing something is monitoring you and getting feedback on where "stuff happened" on your drives.

Joe

westernrider75
04-05-2024, 04:39 AM

Anyone have one?

We have State Farm’s version and it saves us a couple hundred dollars a year on our 5 year old truck. I think we are pretty safe drivers but it still dings us here and there but a couple hundred dollars is still better in my pocket than theirs.

rsmurano
04-05-2024, 04:45 AM

Anyone have one?

Have had 2 companies offer them and I did both. 1 hooked up to the car (better option) and the other ran on our iPhones (very bad)..

Drawbacks:
Plugged into your car:
* if you brake hard for a bird, some idiot turning from the wrong lane in a roundabout, and you put on your brakes hard, you get dinged.
* if you give it gas to get around a slow driver, you get dinged

The positives:
* actual mileage used
* didn’t care or knew if your passenger was on the phone (more on this later)

App on your iPhone:
Don’t do this, the app is too dumb and I told them up front (more on this);

No positives!
Drawbacks:
* the app is always on, the root of all problems
* the app is stupid, if you and your spouse is in the same vehicle, it can’t differentiate who is driving (root of all problems)
* every time you drive, ride in a friends car, ride as a passenger, it counts the mileage driven. So if you and your wife both ride in the car you just drove 2x miles. Every time you take your golf cart somewhere, you are adding miles driven in your car.
* say you and your wife are in the car together and your wife is the passenger and she answers her phone, dinged! Can’t talk and drive, but she isn’t driving. The app doesn’t know that.
* are are riding in a friends car and you get on the phone, dinged! Can’t drive and talk on the phone, but you are a passenger in somebody else’s car, app doesn’t know this.
* same as above but you are in your golf cart, dinged! The app doesn’t know or can’t tell you are in a golf cart.
* while a passenger in a friends car, he better be a good driver because every brake slam, speeding, it goes against you!!

So I tried to explain all of these problems of the app to the insurance company. They agreed to every problem, so hear is what they told me I had to do EVERY day:
Both my wife and I had to log into the app each night and tell it: I was a passenger, I was in a golf cart, I was in a friends car, etc.. I’m not going to do this. So I let it go. I had triple the miles, I had my golf cart driving on the golf course go against our driving, we were driving while using or talking on the phone while driving, etc..

Berwin
04-05-2024, 05:01 AM
I used to be a cop (deputy sheriff) and still drive like one so no discount for me. Rates would probably double. :-)

Ajete
04-05-2024, 05:13 AM
I have a 2024 Jeep grand Cherokee. My rates went up because of all the technology in my car. And I don’t have the highest package. No a/c seats/ side windows don’t electronically fold.

kimgarwel12@gmail.com
04-05-2024, 05:21 AM
I don't have one and don't want one. But, just curious, how much is the discount, and, can it increase your rate?

We have it for USAA and save 30% every 6 months on our rate.

Maker
04-05-2024, 05:56 AM
One other fallacy is that you "save" anything. They raise the rates and then give some back.

Allstate did that with their "safe driver discount". You paid a higher rate with Allstate assuming you would have a claim. If you went claim free that year you got a rebate.
Previously the rate assumed you were a good driver and got the lower rate initially. If you had a claim, then next year your rate went up.
Sounds like the same thing? Nope. In the year you had the claim you are already paying the higher rate. They got more money from the customers and could advertise the program like it was giving you extra money.
Made Allstate millions.

nn0wheremann
04-05-2024, 06:02 AM

Anyone have one?
Had one. It drained the batteries in our cell phones, and came up with crazy reports. It had me making sudden stops and starts when I forgot to disarm it while on the golf course. It had my wife leaving from somewhere about a mile from our house and going to places far from where she went. It also used a lot of our cellular data. Completely inaccurate and thoroughly useless. Besides, they buy the same information from Lexis Nexus, which buys it from the car manufacturers who snoop on our every move through the data systems in the cars we drive.

La lamy
04-05-2024, 06:03 AM
No desire to be Big Brothered. Now that I know new cars are, it makes me want to keep my 21 yr old car even longer!

Fastskiguy
04-05-2024, 06:04 AM
Had one. It drained the batteries in our cell phones, and came up with crazy reports. It had me making sudden stops and starts when I forgot to disarm it while on the golf course. It had my wife leaving from somewhere about a mile from our house and going to places far from where she went. It also used a lot of our cellular data. Completely inaccurate and thoroughly useless. Besides, they buy the same information from Lexis Nexus, which buys it from the car manufacturers who snoop on our every move through the data systems in the cars we drive.

That sounds different than ours..we have a little box on the windshield that captures the data. I wouldn’t like the phone app either.

Joe

Justputt
04-05-2024, 07:30 AM
All the more reason to buy/keep older cars and fix them up! Big brother knows too much, and like the kids these days, people are too willing to give up personal privacy for something. Besides, with older cars you can drop collision insurance because you won't get much for an old car anyway and the insurance will total it anyway!!!! Insurance rates get a lot cheaper without collision insurance!

bragones
04-05-2024, 07:35 AM
I used the type that plugs into your car's ODB port. It was required for a time period, which I think was 6 months. At that time, I was deemed a safe driver and no longer required to use the device. I then received a discount which I've maintained for years, so it was worth it. Agree that it was a pain in that hard breaking to avoid an accident or changing lanes quickly because an emergency vehicle was on your tail, would ding you. But you were allowed a reasonable number of offenses w/o being deemed an unsafe driver. It was a huge relief when the 6 month period was over and I could resume my normal driving, which would be considered unsafe by the device, yet I've never been in an accident.

Ageller
04-05-2024, 07:36 AM
I have a heavy foot while driving and have an electric car, so my app says I need improvement on speed and acceleration. Despite this valid feedback, I saved over $143 over my last 6 month bill with State Farm. If I can save almost $300 a year, it's a good deal for me and I don't intend to change my driving habits. The phone app does not record golf cart trips, only auto trips.

Bwanajim
04-05-2024, 07:52 AM

Anyone have one?

HELL NO!! we have enough government intrusion in our life!

MrFlorida
04-05-2024, 08:12 AM
No for me, I already have Google and Alexa watching me .....that's enough !

Topspinmo
04-05-2024, 08:16 AM

Anyone have one?

No. I don’t need a mommy looking over me.:highfive:

Topspinmo
04-05-2024, 08:19 AM
I have a 2024 Jeep grand Cherokee. My rates went up because of all the technology in my car. And I don’t have the highest package. No a/c seats/ side windows don’t electronically fold.

Didn’t know you could buy vehicle nowadays without A/C?

Marine1974
04-05-2024, 08:23 AM

Anyone have one?
Yes , from usaa auto insurance. Tracks everything from your phone . 30 % discount for a good score .

Marine1974
04-05-2024, 08:26 AM
30% discount. For not handling your phone while driving.
No harsh breaking . Download an app if your insurance carrier offers it .

Marine1974
04-05-2024, 08:53 AM
Are all the police who monitor speeders going away ? The insurance companies only track your phone usage and harsh breaking to receive a discount .

Two Bills
04-05-2024, 08:58 AM
Our grandson has one in UK.
17 when purchased car, now 18 years old, first car, full insurance rate is prohibitive.
Saves him a lot of money, and he has to drive to the speed limit, which gives his parents and us a little reassurance that he is driving reasonable, and not racing his mates.
Gets a monthly report of transgressions, only one red one last month.
Three this year, which, if stays the average over the year, is well inside the limit allowed.

Velvet
04-05-2024, 09:18 AM
Didn’t know you could buy vehicle nowadays without A/C?
I think they meant A/C seats, perforated leather seats that cool you.

kkingston57
04-05-2024, 09:31 AM

Writer is questioning technology that monitors your driving habits. Technology you described is a concern to the insurance company since the car costs a lot more to repair these days. Some headlight assemblies cost over 3K to replace plus labor and it only takes a small impact to damage them. That is the tip of the iceberg

kkingston57
04-05-2024, 09:34 AM
HELL NO!! we have enough government intrusion in our life!

Hate to say it, but this is big business intrusion and is going to get a lot worse.

Vermilion Villager
04-05-2024, 01:15 PM

Anyone have one?
NOPE...NOPE...and........NOPE!!!!!!

Velvet
04-05-2024, 01:30 PM
NOPE...NOPE...and........NOPE!!!!!!

Same here, I like what little privacy is left.

And you don’t spend $100,000 on a car with good pickup to drive it like a hearse…

opinionist
04-05-2024, 01:42 PM
I used a plug-in to monitor my driving to get a break on insurance. I could go online to see how I was doing. The brake usage events were understandable but people with a heavy foot on the accelerator would be in for a surprise. Normal driving for them would be interpreted as non-stop dangerous events. I don't have a heavy foot but my savings were not remarkable.

JRcorvette
04-05-2024, 01:44 PM

Anyone have one?

We have one with USAA for the discount. We are both pretty good drivers and your car already knows what you are doing and some report to your insurance company. The only think that I don’t like is that it is not very accurate. It records phone handling/use even when you do not do that. If your phone is in your pocket like mine is and you move your leg to break it thinks you are using your phone! So you need to keep it on a seat or cup holder. Also harsh breaking reporting is crazy inaccurate! As log as I get a decent discount of 10%++ I will continue to allow it. Oh as far as I know it does not track your speed vs the speed limit. Good thing LOL

fdpaq0580
04-05-2024, 05:39 PM
I used to be a cop (deputy sheriff) and still drive like one so no discount for me. Rates would probably double. :-)

Did you just intimate that police officers are aggressive, unpredictable and possibly dangerous drivers? Inquiring minds want to know.

Just teasing. 😉

mtdjed
04-05-2024, 07:11 PM
Are all the police who monitor speeders going away ? The insurance companies only track your phone usage and harsh breaking to receive a discount .

These things track more than braking and speed. They know and transmit where you are, the time of day etc. And that info can be used against you for a variety of issues. Where were you on such and such night? Were you in the DC area on Jan 6? Did you stop in a bar for 3 hours?
What a tool for the litagators!

Fastskiguy
04-05-2024, 07:44 PM
These things track more than braking and speed. They know and transmit where you are, the time of day etc. And that info can be used against you for a variety of issues. Where were you on such and such night? Were you in the DC area on Jan 6? Did you stop in a bar for 3 hours?
What a tool for the litagators!

Or to prove you actually were home having a quiet evening?

Joe

skippy05
04-06-2024, 05:43 AM
It reduces your rates until you have an accident that is your fault and then they use the data against you in order to not pay a claim. I would never do this.

Fastskiguy
04-06-2024, 06:09 AM
It reduces your rates until you have an accident that is your fault and then they use the data against you in order to not pay a claim. I would never do this.

I guess I’m looking at this a different way….i want all the data I can because I’m a super careful driver and it’s almost certainly going to be the other guys fault. By simply not drinking, not speeding, and not on your phone the odds of a crash where you are at fault is nearly zero.

Maybe I have this wrong…..and I agree completely that insurance companies fund a way to not pay.

Joe

Nana2Teddy
04-06-2024, 07:08 AM
No desire to be Big Brothered. Now that I know new cars are, it makes me want to keep my 21 yr old car even longer!
Same here! 2004 Honda Odyssey still going strong, and about $500 annually for insurance. It’s our only vehicle plus two golf carts (one gas, one electric cool kart).

Michael G.
04-06-2024, 07:21 AM
Drive a 1980 YUGO, then you got nothing to worry about. :shocked: :coolsmiley:

Singerlady
04-06-2024, 07:57 AM
Personally, it’s a joke. Hubby had one on Chicago. He drove on a major road to work. When others cut him off and he had to swerve and brake hard to avoid a collision, he got dinged that it was his fault. He didn’t pass. Just a gimmick. Don’t waste your time.

TheWarriors
04-06-2024, 09:05 AM
We have them and are saving about $230/yr between the two cars. I'm at or close to 100 (perfect) on braking and phone distraction but "fair" on acceleration (because electric car) and speed (because of the hell that is I75). Cornering is always "needs improvement" because spirited corning is fun.

The ramp northbound onto the turnpike at 301 is a tough place. Uphill, on a corner, with a bridge shortly after the merge lane ends. It's nice to hit the merge area at 60-70mph, and the electric car does that with ease, but I get dinged there every single time for excessive acceleration. Sure guys, just try to accelerate slowly there and see how it goes for you! Grrrrr!

Roundabouts ding me for cornering all of the time.

I kinda resent it but I kinda like the idea of monitoring driver behavior too. So many lunatics on the roads these days.

On my thing you can pull up your drives on your phone and see where your violations occurred. I think it makes you a safer driver, just knowing something is monitoring you and getting feedback on where "stuff happened" on your drives.

Joe

You must not be married ;)

Sully2023
04-06-2024, 10:00 AM

Anyone have one?

I use the Safe Pilot app for USAA insurance. I saved $220 this current six month premium. The app looks at two main issues: touching the phone when in the car and braking hard. I carry my phone in the center storage bin. Keeps me from playing with my phone when driving.

CoachKandSportsguy
04-06-2024, 10:17 AM
:popcorn:
I use Waze mostly, monitors my speed and monitors my route.

Velvet
04-06-2024, 10:37 AM
I use Waze mostly, monitors my speed and monitors my route.

Waze = gives you information and feedback, I am not fond of the word “monitors” something about it feels Machiavellian.

jimjamuser
04-06-2024, 12:23 PM

Anyone have one?
Of course, I do. I have a very, very expensive and LOUD one. It is called...........My Wife.

Two Bills
04-06-2024, 12:45 PM
I just pay the premium, and drive like a lunatic.
Much more fun!

tophcfa
04-06-2024, 01:11 PM
I just pay the premium, and drive like a lunatic.
Much more fun!

I sometimes use a driving monitor, when my wife rides with me. The monitor gives instant feedback when my driving doesn’t meet the required standards.

JohnN
04-06-2024, 06:46 PM
Of course, I do. I have a very, very expensive and LOUD one. It is called...........My Wife.

Bingo

Shipping up to Boston
04-06-2024, 06:57 PM
I did a quick check on this because, well, TOTV. It looks to me like this was true until very recently. Ford apparently now sells to lexnexis who makes it available to insurance companies.

Not only that......

This carmaker develops tech that can shut down car remotely if owner misses EMI | HT Auto (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto/cars/ford-develops-tech-that-can-disable-car-remotely-if-owner-misses-emi-41677825426311.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwj00Y2Z5K6FAxWyhIkEHRviDkgQFnoECAkQAw&usg=AOvVaw3WbmgMDR8ldCaBmBsFjdMP)

CoachKandSportsguy
04-06-2024, 08:11 PM
Waze = gives you information and feedback, I am not fond of the word “monitors” something about it feels Machiavellian.

:thumbup:

:BigApplause:

Limey
04-06-2024, 09:20 PM
Our daughter was one of the designers for this program. I asked if she would put it in her car. Response : Absolutely not, your insurance costs will probably go up.

CoachKandSportsguy
04-06-2024, 09:21 PM
There is no way I would ever agree to take a monitor. you can counter all of the assumptions with a constantly recording dash cam, but not worth the time and expense.

Now that now I drive a "big" truck in the villages which is built for golf carts so I go very slowly in most places, but highway driving has so many differing conditions and trying to make up time etc. Plus fast braking has certain safety advantages, to give more time to decide what to do in a non standard scenario. The app makes just way too many assumptions about what should happen.

A low mileage driver can save, but a high mileage driver will have so many scenarios happen, more out of the ordinary than a local only driver, that an app can't account for all the potential variations. . .

good luck for those who attempt it. .

Salty Dog
04-06-2024, 11:51 PM
We have it for USAA and save 30% every 6 months on our rate.

We also have USAA and save over $200 every 6 months. Rates can't be higher. It's a phone app and only measures phone use, hard braking and miles driven. I assume more miles driven is a negative. Handsfree phone use is also a negative, but not as bad as hands-on phone use. The automatic cruise control causes a hard braking now and then.

Two Bills
04-07-2024, 04:55 AM
I sometimes use a driving monitor, when my wife rides with me. The monitor gives instant feedback when my driving doesn’t meet the required standards.

I never let my wife drive me. She is 87 years old, and still thinks she is a Rally Driver! :eek:

Maker
04-07-2024, 07:50 AM
I use the Safe Pilot app for USAA insurance. I saved $220 this current six month premium. The app looks at two main issues: touching the phone when in the car and braking hard. I carry my phone in the center storage bin. Keeps me from playing with my phone when driving.

Let me correct your math...

Your base rate is actually $300 more than it should be, but you get back $220 for having a nanny monitor.
That makes you happy.
Until the day IT decides you are a bad driver, and your LexisNexis profile has you dinged for life.

Shipping up to Boston
04-07-2024, 08:25 AM
Let me correct your math...

Your base rate is actually $300 more than it should be, but you get back $220 for having a nanny monitor.
That makes you happy.
Until the day IT decides you are a bad driver, and your LexisNexis profile has you dinged for life.

The technology, we all agree is/has been out there. I know they say everybody has their price ....but, wow how little that number is for some to sell their soul!

Fastskiguy
04-07-2024, 10:00 AM
The technology, we all agree is/has been out there. I know they say everybody has their price ....but, wow how little that number is for some to sell their soul!

Or get rewarded for careful driving?

Joe

Shipping up to Boston
04-07-2024, 10:15 AM
Or get rewarded for careful driving?

Joe

You do realize if you’re a ‘careful driver’....with or without the monitor, you’ll get a discounted premium. The numbers, not vetted, here....are nominal. The difference, you’re every move is being tracked and monitored and you....allowed for it. Thus my earlier comment

Fastskiguy
04-07-2024, 10:25 AM
You do realize if you’re a ‘careful driver’....with or without the monitor, you’ll get a discounted premium. The numbers, not vetted, here....are nominal. The difference, you’re every move is being tracked and monitored and you....allowed for it. Thus my earlier comment

It seems you object to being monitored. I object to dangerous driving. You’re not “for” dangerous driving and I’m not “for” being monitored. I wish there was a way to not be monitored and not have dangerous driving.

Joe

Shipping up to Boston
04-07-2024, 10:43 AM
It seems you object to being monitored. I object to dangerous driving. You’re not “for” dangerous driving and I’m not “for” being monitored. I wish there was a way to not be monitored and not have dangerous driving.

Joe

You sir, are a gift to this industry! All due respect.
If your not ‘for being monitored’, then you agree with me. Last I checked, we have law enforcement for the other part of your argument....cameras at major intersections, existing on board technology manufacturer installed and other ‘tools’ that are used to that end. Again, all power to you and others if you feel that your personal tracking device is helping the cause. Much like the insurance drone thread, good luck with disputing the industry’s findings on your patterns and mannerisms

Fastskiguy
04-07-2024, 11:32 AM
You sir, are a gift to this industry! All due respect.
If your not ‘for being monitored’, then you agree with me. Last I checked, we have law enforcement for the other part of your argument....cameras at major intersections, existing on board technology manufacturer installed and other ‘tools’ that are used to that end. Again, all power to you and others if you feel that your personal tracking device is helping the cause. Much like the insurance drone thread, good luck with disputing the industry’s findings on your patterns and mannerisms

My driving truly is a gift to all who share the road with me. Unfortunately the people who need monitoring the most are probably the least likely to opt in.

Joe

Bill14564
04-07-2024, 11:36 AM
My driving truly is a gift to all who share the road with me. Unfortunately the people who need monitoring the most are probably the least likely to opt in.

Joe

Why should they opt in, they know that their driving is a gift to all who share the road with them :)

Shipping up to Boston
04-07-2024, 12:12 PM

Joe

If you read my my post initially, I prefaced with the fact that I am a responsible driver...sans monitor. I also receive safe driver discounts. It’s not about ‘who needs monitoring’. It’s an individual choice to this point. If people subscribe to the belief that the info gathered by these monitors is solely the industry’s effort to reward you for being Gods gift to the motoring public, then you should get an additional discount for naivety!

Dusty_Star
04-07-2024, 12:28 PM

Anyone have one?

I don't use one.

coffeebean
04-07-2024, 12:51 PM
~~~

Fastskiguy
04-07-2024, 02:23 PM
Why should they opt in, they know that their driving is a gift to all who share the road with them :)

You know what is really funny is that I’ve been getting dinged on acceleration while on fsd now that I’ve got the free month. I’m running on chill mode too!

Joe

collie1228
04-08-2024, 10:00 AM
You know, it's kind of nice that the police no longer give out tickets. I can feel free to roll every stop sign, never stop at a red light before making a right turn, drive up I-95 at a solid 80 MPH, never having to use my directional signals. Makes life less cumbersome, not having to follow all those overbearing rules. Now you tell me my insurance company wants me to self incriminate. Gees.

Shipping up to Boston
04-08-2024, 10:17 AM
You know, it's kind of nice that the police no longer give out tickets. I can feel free to roll every stop sign, never stop at a red light before making a right turn, drive up I-95 at a solid 80 MPH, never having to use my directional signals. Makes life less cumbersome, not having to follow all those overbearing rules. Now you tell me my insurance company wants me to self incriminate. Gees.

Yup. But in addition to receiving the ‘gift to other drivers’ nominal discount, they’ll also throw in an additional 10% ‘just for being old’ discount at Bonefish Grill*....

*Void where prohibited. Only one discount per table. Not valid if you recently registered as an independent

lkagele
04-08-2024, 10:41 AM

Anyone have one?

Had one through AllState. We don't drive much and it kept draining my battery.

Shipping up to Boston
04-08-2024, 11:43 AM
The comparisons of some that have monitors and ones that should in their eyes....reminds me of a great bit the late comedian Greg Giraldo did on the Comedy Central roast of David Hasselhoff (he of Knight Rider fame along with his infamous Trans Am KITT). At the time of this special, he had some issues with alcohol etc....

“David Hasselhoff, you used to have a car that started when you asked it to....now you have a car that only starts when you blow into it”!