PDA

View Full Version : Charger question/problem

gage405
01-06-2011, 08:28 PM
My charger sometimes is still running in the morning after being on all night.
It shows that the batteries still need about 1/4 charge or so.
Sometimes, though, the charger is off in the morning, indicating
a full charge.

Does this mean that the charger is sometimes malfunctioning? I read on
another thread that this could indicate that the charger is restarting
itself even after a full charge has been given. And that this also means that the batteries are being overcharged? If I understood the other thread
correctly. I am inexperienced in these areas.

Does the charger need repair? Is it the batteries themselves that
need some checking?

I have made it twice round trip from Virginia Trace to Lopez playing 18 holes but both times the charge on the dash was in the red area by the time I got home. I got kind of nervous, lol.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

golfnut
01-06-2011, 08:49 PM
sounds like a battery issue, first check to make sure all of the batteries have enough water, second check to be sure one of the batteries doesn't have a bad cell. if you don't know how to check for a bad cell i would recommend you call ken spano (352 804 0722) and have him check your batteries. if you end up needing batteries, he usually has the best price, i have always bought my batteries from him......gn

villages07
01-06-2011, 10:29 PM
VT to Lopez and back plus 18 is probably about 24 miles. Depending on the age of your batteries that might run them down pretty low. It's not unusual for the charger to still be running in the morning after such a load.

But, as Mr Nut says, you may also have a bad cell. You can buy a simple 4 ball hydrometer at Walmart for a couple of bucks. It's not terribly accurate but will give you an idea if any cells are bad.

ajbrown
01-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Ace has a decent hydrometer for short money instead of the 4-ball.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1292142