PDA

View Full Version : Kindle vs. Nook, Battle of eReaders

dfn8tly
01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Hello my friends;

I have read many of the reviews and customer comments on several forums regarding both the Kindle and the Nook. I am seriously considering purchasing a Kindle in the very near future (I never thought the day would come when a dedicated hardcover bibliophile would give it up to an electronic device) However, before I make the jump I'd really like to hear from owners, yes actual users. What to you like best? Are there disadvantages and if so please define them.

Most of the professionals say the war is essentially over and Kindle holds the field of battle. What do you think?

Your comments will be so much appreciated.

Thanks!

LittleDog
01-10-2011, 11:05 AM
We've had 3 Kindles. I bought my wife a Kindle 1 for Xmas a few years ago. I'm not a reader but I enjoyed reading on her Kindle so when the Kindle 2 came out I purchased one for myself. When the Kindle 3 came out at a reduced price I got her one and we gave our Kindle 1 to a friend. Of course we have really enjoyed our Kindles and the customer support at Amazon is superb which to me is a big plus. There was one feature of the Nook that the Kindle didn't have. That was the book lending. I understand that you can now do that with the Kindle. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either device.

John

Pat_RI
01-10-2011, 11:24 AM
One thing to keep in mind is the financial situation of the companies involved I would think that Amazon is on a much better footing and therefore the Kindle should be around for a while.

Avista
01-10-2011, 11:34 AM
We are a two Nook house. I'm sure either the Nook or Kindle will serve you well.
The Nook has a open platform allowing you to borrow ebooks from the library as well as buying them from other places besides Barnes and Noble. This I like. My Nook has library books on it all the time. My daughter works in a library and would not buy an e-reader that did not accept library books.

If you're not interested in library books and are content to buy only from Amazon, the Kindle I think would be fine.

Make a trip to B&N to see the Nook. Then check out the Kindle at Best Buy. Both seem to be great e-readers.

Customer service with the Nook has been great. B&N offers free classes for Nook owners. Also you can run and see them with any problem as well as the B&N 800 number for help.

BeeGee
01-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I got a Kindle 3 for Christmas...and I love it. Don't want to read/subscribe to magazines, I just want to read a book and didn't mind the non-lending of Kindle, but now I think they do allow to any device for 14 days. Anyway, some of the things I really like is: lighter, thinner; easy to use; page turning is quicker than the nook; wider range of books Amazon just has more; better PDF support; text to speech; battery life (1 month as compared to 10 days w/nook). I'm sure I'll discover more to love, but that's what I came up with. Before getting my kindle, though, I read a LOT of reviews from techno geeks that were very helpful. Whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I too would never have thought that I'd be using an electronic device instead of a real book.:icon_wink:

DickY
01-11-2011, 09:42 AM
I just bought a color Nook and am completely satisfied with it. I researched the reviews (google "ereader reviews comparison") on both and it was obvious you could not go wrong with either one. Read the reviews and see which one fits your preferences. I chose the Nook because of the color aspect and the extra things available when in B&N, including the free classes there. I went to the one held Saturday and there were about 30 people attending. I was able to go out to the site Project Gutenberg where you can download over 33,000 free ebooks to read on your PC, iPad, Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, iPhone, Android or other portable device (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page). I downloaded several books to the PC, hooked up the Nook with the USB cable and copied them to the Nook.

Avista
01-11-2011, 09:34 PM
I just bought a color Nook and am completely satisfied with it. I researched the reviews (google "ereader reviews comparison") on both and it was obvious you could not go wrong with either one. Read the reviews and see which one fits your preferences. I chose the Nook because of the color aspect and the extra things available when in B&N, including the free classes there. I went to the one held Saturday and there were about 30 people attending. I was able to go out to the site Project Gutenberg where you can download over 33,000 free ebooks to read on your PC, iPad, Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, iPhone, Android or other portable device

(http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page). I downloaded several books to the PC, hooked up the Nook with the USB cable and copied them to the Nook.

Also, did you see the "Skins" Amazon is selling for the color NooK?
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&x=0&ref_=nb_sb_noss&y=0&field-keywords=decal%20nookcolor&url=search-alias%3Delectronics

Pturner
01-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I got a Kindle 3 for Christmas...and I love it. Don't want to read/subscribe to magazines, I just want to read a book and didn't mind the non-lending of Kindle, but now I think they do allow to any device for 14 days. Anyway, some of the things I really like is: lighter, thinner; easy to use; page turning is quicker than the nook; wider range of books Amazon just has more; better PDF support; text to speech; battery life (1 month as compared to 10 days w/nook). I'm sure I'll discover more to love, but that's what I came up with. Before getting my kindle, though, I read a LOT of reviews from techno geeks that were very helpful. Whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I too would never have thought that I'd be using an electronic device instead of a real book.:icon_wink:

Hi dfn8ly,
BeeGee summed up my thoughts. In addition, the current Kindle has a sharper screen, and I like the navigation on the Kindle better.

I've loved to read books all my life. I think you will be pleasantly surprised that, at least at our 55+ age, the e-readers are easier on the eyes than many printed books that with smallish type and average-quality paper.

Enjoy!

brostholder
01-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I have owned a Kindle for over a year now and absolutely love it. However, the nook has come a long way in the past year. The few shortcomings I have found in the kindle after a year of use are: no color; no back-light; no ability to download books from the library or other open sources;
The things I really love about the kindle are: easy to use, to carry around and to navigate; huge selection of books from amazon. But the best thing about the kindle has been customer service. I have dropped and broken it twice in the last year. Each time I broke it, Amazon sent me a new on via ups with 2 days. Now that my year warranty is up, I am being a lot more careful with it.

dfn8tly
01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Thank you everyone! You have been and continue to be a big help. I have ordered my Kindle and really look forward to many happy days with this ingenious device. One of my "good" friends made the comment "YOU ordered an electronic reader?" I responded with pride (you see she knows I'm an electronics geek. I can't plug in a string of holiday lights).

Again, so many thanks to all who responded. You helped me make what I hope will be a rewarding experience.

tudacee
05-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Congratulations on your new Kindle.
I'm sure it will be a source of reading pleasure for you. :wave:

tonyafd
05-14-2011, 02:43 PM
I brought the Kindle back because the web browser was inferior. The Nook now has Flash as part of its web browser. The reader is good on the Nook and I like the touch screen. Plugged into my PC, the Nook functions as a separate drive with the ability to download .pdf files as well as E-PUB books from Project Gutenberg.

Taj44
05-14-2011, 03:25 PM
I brought the Kindle back because the web browser was inferior. The Nook now has Flash as part of its web browser. The reader is good on the Nook and I like the touch screen. Plugged into my PC, the Nook functions as a separate drive with the ability to download .pdf files as well as E-PUB books from Project Gutenberg.

Do you mean the color nook or the regular nook? I bought the regualr nook a few months ago, and don't have flash.

I do like the ability to get library books that the nook offers. I'd never buy a kindle for that reason.

ljones190
05-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Do you mean the color nook or the regular nook? I bought the regualr nook a few months ago, and don't have flash.

I do like the ability to get library books that the nook offers. I'd never buy a kindle for that reason.

Taj44
Amazon has indicated the Kindle will be able to get library books within a few months. I just bought the 114.00 Kindle and love it. I like the feature that you can get a sample of a book before buying it, most likely available on all e-readers.

jojo
09-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Following advice on this forum, I bought a Nook and have a Philadelphia library card. I cannot figure out how to get the books from the library. Can someone help?

skyguy79
09-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't have a Kindle or a Nook, but my wife has a Nook. I just setup the Nook for android application on my droid, can access my wife's account and once I figured out how to use it, I fould that it's easy to use. Turning pages requires just a touch on the side of the page your turning and saving your page takes just a touch on the upper right side. You can also adjust the font size to what you're comfortable with. There is also an application for Kindle users but I don't know anything about that!
http://media.bstdownload.com/icons/2011/05/11/NOOK_for_Android_by_BN_icon.jpg

Halle
09-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Following advice on this forum, I bought a Nook and have a Philadelphia library card. I cannot figure out how to get the books from the library. Can someone help?

Hi JoJo,

Are you able to get to the area where you select the books you want or are you having a problem getting the book to your cart and then downloading it? We use the Philadelphia Free library and it took us a while to learn how to navigate the site but once you figure it out it is not that difficult. If you need help PM me and I will try to talk you through it.

Technically challenged,
Halle

Avista
09-18-2011, 02:52 PM
I was at the Leesburg City Library yesterday and they have ebooks. Since I live in Sumter County, I had to pay $20, but will get that back quickly as I borrow their books. There is a sign up that all ereaders will be able to borrow except Kindle. Kindle is proprietary

Yorio
09-18-2011, 03:33 PM
For those contemplating purchasing Kindle or Nook, have you thought about purchasing an I-Pad and adding a Kindle Apps? You can also download other free e-book apps. I-Pad may cost more initially but there are more usage with it. Just a thought.

jojo
09-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Avista, thanks for that info. Is the $20 annual?

Avista
09-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Avista, thanks for that info. Is the $20 annual?

NO, It's for 6 months. Sumter is supposed to get ebooks soon, and I'm hoping they will be available then.

oatmealgirls
09-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Avista, Thanks for the info! Leesburg is part of the Lake County Library system, so anyone in the Lake County area of TV who has a Lake County Library Card can borrow the ebooks for free.

You need to download Overdrive for your device (computer, iPad, nook, etc). Here's the link for the Library system info page (http://mylakelibrary.lib.overdrive.com/6B52A7E3-27D6-411B-99EB-856F9714586A/10/836/en/Default.htm) on ebooks.

villages07
09-18-2011, 09:26 PM
JoJo... As Halle said, it's a sort of convoluted process to get books from Free Lib of Phil, aka FLOP, but once you get it setup it works fine.

You need to put adobe digital editions on your main computer. Login to FLOP, get to the Overdrive section where media is downloaded, search and find a book you want that is available for download, add to cart, download to your PC via adobe digital.

Once on your PC in adobe, plug in the nook and drag a copy of the ebook from the adobe folder to the nook.

This is a pretty common setup for library ebooks. lake County might work the same way.

Snowbirdtobe
09-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Text to speech in the kindle was the deciding factor for me.
I can take any pdf, text or .doc file and email it to my free kindle email account for conversion to a kindle text to speech file that is sent to my kindle.
I can then read a book on the screen and at any point have the reader speak the book to me. Great for walks with the dog.

Gerald
09-19-2011, 04:38 AM
I think that the kindle is slightly better for reading. My wife enjoys hers. Also most of the library's will be doing down loads for both units very soon. Inside information from my granddaugther who works for the library in NY.

villages07
09-23-2011, 05:01 PM
The "Free Library of Philadelphia",(FLOP) which has an extensive collection of ebooks, has raised their fee from $15 to $35 per year for non-residents. Quite an increase, percent-wise, but, still a bargain if you read a lot.

I asked at Sumter/Pinellas library last week about ebooks. They say coming soon, perhaps after the first of the year. I didn't get a warm, fuzzy feeling that their collection was going to be very extensive. Time will tell.

When my FLOP subscription expires next March, we'll see if the Sumter fee/offering is a better alternative.:read:

Halle
09-23-2011, 05:12 PM
The "Free Library of Philadelphia",(FLOP) which has an extensive collection of ebooks, has raised their fee from $15 to $35 per year for non-residents. Quite an increase, percent-wise, but, still a bargain if you read a lot.

I asked at Sumter/Pinellas library last week about ebooks. They say coming soon, perhaps after the first of the year. I didn't get a warm, fuzzy feeling that their collection was going to be very extensive. Time will tell.

When my FLOP subscription expires next March, we'll see if the Sumter fee/offering is a better alternative.:read:

Wow that is quite an increase but like you said V07 still a bargain since we usually read at least one book a week each,(more when we are out working in the BUSH). We will probably stick with Free Library of Philadelphia since they have such a wonderful selection.

PS
see you in December.

batman911
09-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Word on the street is that Amazon is developing a Kindle with Android to compete with the iPad.

uujudy
09-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Word on the street is that Amazon is developing a Kindle with Android to compete with the iPad.

I bought a Chinese knock-off Samsung Android tablet ($150) to see if I would actually use something like that. I downloaded the free Kindle app, and can read books just fine on it. I can also read my email, Facebook, play games, To Do list, Evernote, Google Talk, Google Calendar.... So why would I want a seperate Kindle for just about the same price? :shrug:
(I'm not being sarcastic. I really don't understand why I should buy a Kindle instead of using the free app)

rhredd1654
09-26-2011, 07:10 PM
I bought a Chinese knock-off Samsung Android tablet ($150) to see if I would actually use something like that. I downloaded the free Kindle app, and can read books just fine on it. I can also read my email, Facebook, play games, To Do list, Evernote, Google Talk, Google Calendar.... So why would I want a seperate Kindle for just about the same price? :shrug:
(I'm not being sarcastic. I really don't understand why I should buy a Kindle instead of using the free app)

My thoughts exactly! I bought a tablet (Viewsonic G) for exactly the same reason. Has wi-fi but not 3g. Do my downloading a home where I have wi-fi. Get my email, etc. on it. Tried reading at the pool the other day, and no amount of fooling around with the settings could I get a readable screen, unless I went in the shade. Experiment over! I ordered a Kindle yesterday (with 3G, of course!). Maybe the settings on the expensive iPad enable reading in the sun.

Taj44
09-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Maybe the settings on the expensive iPad enable reading in the sun.

Apparently they don't. My daughter-in-law has an ipad and says she can't read in the sun. That is the advantage of the ereaders like Nook and Kindle.

rhredd1654
09-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Sometime in the not too distant future, we will have a lightweight tablet that will replace laptop , eReader AND smartphone. Oh yeah, also at an affordable price.:a040:

dsned
09-27-2011, 06:52 AM
I used to have a library with over 1000 books, i loved my books! all gone now and thanks to the kindle I don't miss them.

batman911
09-27-2011, 12:26 PM
New Kindle (iPad competition) coming out soon. I believe it is called "Fire".
The street thinks this may be the iPads only serious competition.

BBQMan
09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Sometime in the not too distant future, we will have a lightweight tablet that will replace laptop , eReader AND smartphone. Oh yeah, also at an affordable price.:a040:

The Kindle Fire came pout today. It is not a smart phone, but is a fully functional color touch tablet and a fully capable eReader. It lets you do 90% of what the iPad does including web browsing, e-mail and an eReader. The price is $199 and with Amazon Prime membership gives you access to free movies and TV shows. It does everything the Nook Color does and more for less money.

It is expected to be the first serious competitor to the iPad. For a black and white touchscreen Amazon introduced the Kindle Touch. It like the Nook b&w eReader has a six inch screen, uses e-ink and is in most ways very similar. The difference in price will be touch for B&N to match. The Kindle goes for $99 while the Nook sells for $139. Amazon offers a new model of its existing Kindle for $79.

I have ordered the new Kindle Fire and will use it to replace my iPad AND my existing Kindle. At $99 for the touchscreen Kindle delivered, my Christmas shopping list is going to be easy this year!

LittleDog
09-29-2011, 06:45 AM
I ordered a Kindle touch for $99 but at that price you also get ads which doesn't bother me. Without ads it costs $139.

John

linandvin
09-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Just heard the FIRE will be fine tuned AFTER the holidays with more than ever before! When to buy....hmmmm....I do LOVE my IPAD. However, when you put on polarized sunglasses, you can't read it in the sun. So I wear a hat instead!

rhredd1654
09-29-2011, 03:58 PM
I too ordered the Kindle for $139 (includes 3g). My understanding is that the Fire DOES NOT have 3g, so you're tethered to a Wi-Fi location. To each his (her) own..whatever melts your butter!

mitchbr47
09-29-2011, 05:51 PM
The Kindle Fire came pout today. It is not a smart phone, but is a fully functional color touch tablet and a fully capable eReader. It lets you do 90% of what the iPad does including web browsing, e-mail and an eReader. The price is $199 and with Amazon Prime membership gives you access to free movies and TV shows. It does everything the Nook Color does and more for less money.

It is expected to be the first serious competitor to the iPad. For a black and white touchscreen Amazon introduced the Kindle Touch. It like the Nook b&w eReader has a six inch screen, uses e-ink and is in most ways very similar. The difference in price will be touch for B&N to match. The Kindle goes for $99 while the Nook sells for $139. Amazon offers a new model of its existing Kindle for $79.

I have ordered the new Kindle Fire and will use it to replace my iPad AND my existing Kindle. At $99 for the touchscreen Kindle delivered, my Christmas shopping list is going to be easy this year!

I also was reading about the Fire yesterday. I don't think it will drastically affect the iPad for these reasons...
Apple has a great track record with their devices.
The Fire is only available in the US. 50% of iPads are sold overseas.
limited to only wifi- no 3G connectivity
smaller screen at 7 inches
only 6GB of storage space. That can fill up fast.
Might be ok if everything is stored on the Cloud. But then Wifi connection must be used to access it.
no camera or microphone for Skype
though it uses Android in the background
limited number of Apps currently available
Amazon can track everything that you do every web visit, transaction, etc.
To access movies you need an Amazon Prime account. 30 day trial included. Membership is $79 a year.
Maybe some don't realize that an iPad has both Nook and Kindle apps for books

BBQMan
09-30-2011, 12:15 AM
I also was reading about the Fire yesterday. I don't think it will drastically affect the iPad for these reasons...
Apple has a great track record with their devices.
Tire is only available in the US. 50% of iPads are sold overseas.
limited the Fo only wifi- no 3G connectivity
smaller screen at 7 inches
only 6GB of storage space. That can fill up fast.
Might be ok if everything is stored on the Cloud. But then Wifi connection must be used to access it.
no camera or microphone for Skype
though it uses Android in the background
limited number of Apps currently available
Amazon can track everything that you do every web visit, transaction, etc.
To access movies you need an Amazon Prime account. 30 day trial included. Membership is $79 a year.
Maybe some don't realize that an iPad has both Nook and Kindle apps for books

1. Apple has a great track record with their devices. Absolutely true, but so does Amazon
2. Kindle Fire is available only in US. A clear advantage for iPad, but probably temporary. Previous Kindles are available world-wide.
3. Wifi only, no 3G. Again true, but a mixed blessing. 3G adds a minimum monthly cost of $15 to iPad ownership and a more realistic cost of $40 per month if you are using the data feed at all. Cumulative 2 yr cost of ownership: Kindle Fire - $199, iPad $859 to $1459 (and potentially more)
4. iPad 10" screen vs Kindle Fire 7" screen. True, but a mixed blessing. The increase in screen size comes with an increase in weight. iPad weighs in at 21 oz, the Kindle fire at 14 oz both without covers. A typical paperback (I used Silva's, The English Assassin, 491 pages} weighs 10 0z.
5. Only 6GB of storage space. That can fill up fast. Might be ok if everything is stored on the Cloud. But then Wifi connection must be used to access it. Good point and a clear advantage of iPad. How much this will mean in real life remains to be seen.
6. No camera or microphone for Skype. Clear advantage for iPad, if you use Skype. But isn't this what your smart phone is for?
7. You need to have Amazon Prime for movies and this costs $79 per year. I think this is an advantage. It eliminates the needs for NetFlix and saves money at the same time. It also provides free two-day shipping on anything you buy from Amazon and hassle free returns, if for ANY reason you don't like what you purchased.
8. iPad has both Nook and Kindle apps for books. True and there is also an Apple app for the iPad. I've used all three and have found that it is best to have all your books in one 'library'. All of these apps function well, but I have found I prefer using the Kindle app on my existing Kindle, iPad and Computer.

I am both a Kindle and Apple fanatic. I've owned Apple computers since my Apple 2 and then the original Mac. I am now on my iMac and have a mac.com e-mail address. I'm also a iPhone and iPad user. I've used Kindles since they first came out and found that the only one I did not like was the Kindle DX with its 10" screen and 19 oz weight. Just too heavy to be comfortable for extended reading.

In the final analysis both are great at what they do, but the two year cost of ownership: $199 for the Kindle Fire vs $1459 for the iPad with 3g capability makes the Kindle an easy decision for me.

KayakerNC
09-30-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't think the Amazon Fire is an "iPad killer".
More likely designed to be a Nook killer. If I were B&N, I'd be worried.:read:

Pturner
09-30-2011, 07:43 PM
I don't think the Amazon Fire is an "iPad killer".
More likely designed to be a Nook killer. If I were B&N, I'd be worried.:read:

I don't know. It's smaller, lighter and way less expensive than iPad and has a similar feature set. I won't buy the Fire 1.0, but might by a 2nd gen. if it's thinner, sleeker, has built up an excellent app collection and has 4G (or whatever is current at the time). I could see it replacing my iPad-- but not my 3rd gen. Kindle, (which replaced by 1st gen. Kindle).

The reason is, I love the iPad2 for apps and surfing net, but not for reading. I much prefer the e-ink, non-backlit screen for reading.

It will be interesting to see how things develop. The iPad will keep innovating too. Increasing competition will drive down it's price.

A killer pad devise to me would have an e-ink screen on one side and an iPad-like screen on the other, each with a sliding protective screen that automatically turns the side on when the screen is slid open. :) It would cloud sync too. Must admit, I think iTunes is as inelegant and clunky as the iPad and most Apple devices are elegant and endearing.

I agree B&N can't be thrilled about Amazon's huge techno leap for Kindle.

Taj44
10-01-2011, 06:39 AM
I agree, the new Kindle will certainly be a hot item. But it will, I think, spur new developments in the other ereaders and tablets. In the next couple of years, with all the competition going on, the consumer will have many choices. I have a second generation Nook which I love - 2 month battery charge, and we have a Macbook air for our computer needs, which is light enough to travel with. But in a year or two, when the prices come down, I expect to be looking at tablets.

oatmealgirls
11-22-2011, 10:54 PM
I just bought a Kindle Keyboard 3g + wifi 6" E Ink Display for $89.99 at Best Buy. ( Amazon site has it currently selling for $139. Good descriptions and Kindle comparisons here.)

I think there may be reviews with talk of discontinuing this model because of the newer Touch Kindles, and of course the new Fire, but thought it was a good price, so wanted to pass along to anyone else who may be interested!

grandma-annie
11-29-2011, 09:34 PM
I just received a Kindle Fire as a gift. There was no manual with it and I don't know where to begin or how to use it. Any suggestions? thanks

jblum315
11-29-2011, 10:19 PM
If you got it in its original package, there is tiny leaflet tucked in the box that tells you how to use it. Anyway, first you have to charge the battery. Plug in the cord and let it charge for about 4 hours.

njbchbum
11-29-2011, 11:30 PM
I just received a Kindle Fire as a gift. There was no manual with it and I don't know where to begin or how to use it. Any suggestions? thanks

like jblum posted - charge the battery! and while that is happening you can try these:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33198_7-57324707-286/cnet-answers-your-kindle-fire-questions/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVsfLnMqOC4

there are lots of videos on youtube - but this one is a good intro.

hope this helps

Bob45
11-29-2011, 11:30 PM

Try this.
http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindle_Fire_Users_Guide.pdf

Sadie1313
11-30-2011, 12:18 AM

The Kindle DOES have the ability to download books from the public library for free. TV Library will have the download set up by the Spring. Until then, you can register in another library, (I forgot the name....but TV's library will tell you). Once you're registered, you can download to your kindle, and not have to leave the house. I've had a kindle since they first came out. I can't tell you how great it is to hold this lightweight device, and not feel my fingers cramp up when reading for a long time. Holding a large book is not the best for Arthritic fingers. LOL I have dropped my kindle on two occassions, andAmazon has replaced it both times....even on the 2nd occasion when it was beyond the warranty date. I told them I needed to PURCHASE a new one, as I had dropped it. The customer service rep asked me from what height I dropped it. I told him I was 5'2" and dropped it from about waist high. He told me since it was dropped from a normal height during normal usage, they'd replace it for free....SURPRISE TO ME lol. I've had all 3 versions of the Kindle, and couldn't be happier with it. Enjoy!!!! Trish

Taj44
11-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Yes, I see it is something the Kindle recently added, probably to keep pace with the Nook. I'm glad to hear the Villages library is finally starting to think about getting ebooks. I've had to go elsewhere for them for the last year or two.

I love the 2 month battery life on my Nook Touch. My hope is that the technology will improve to the point that tablets similar to the iPad will come out with extended battery life, so I can read, and also check email, enjoy music and videos, etc., without having to recharge frequently. My sense is the computer manufacturers are concentrating on the tablet market, and in the coming year or two, prices will be coming down, and features will be increased.

Pathel
11-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Yes, I see it is something the Kindle recently added, probably to keep pace with the Nook. I'm glad to hear the Villages library is finally starting to think about getting ebooks. I've had to go elsewhere for them for the last year or two.

I love the 2 month battery life on my Nook Touch. My hope is that the technology will improve to the point that tablets similar to the iPad will come out with extended battery life, so I can read, and also check email, enjoy music and videos, etc., without having to recharge frequently. My sense is the computer manufacturers are concentrating on the tablet market, and in the coming year or two, prices will be coming down, and features will be increased.

Those who have the iPad have paid to have those features. The old quote, "You get what you pay for" holds for the techy stuff. As time goes on, the Nook and the Kindle will get better but the iPad will surpass them - BIG TIME!

It is nice to have the Nook, Kindle, eBooks, etc. on the iPad.

Avista
11-30-2011, 12:07 PM
In the past I have always preferred the Nook do to the the ability to borrow from
Libraries. Now I have my iPad. This is now my preference. I can go from the book I am reading to a game of Words (Scrabble) with a friend, to checking posts on TOTV, to Facebook, to Twitter, to checking mail. Love my iPad.

Ohiogirl
11-30-2011, 12:48 PM
I was one of those holdouts - a book purist, I guess, but after lugging 3 good size books on my last trip, I purchased a Nook Simple touch at Best Buy, on sale for $79.

Took me awhile to figure out how to add the library books - I downloaded them just fine (from my Ohio library) but couldn't figure out how to get them onto the Nook - I'm not the techiest person out there. Finally reread the library's directions and followed step-by-step. Just finished my first library e-book and enjoyed the process.

Contrary to some other posters, I think I like that my Nook is not connected to the internet - except if I want to order books (read that Spend Money) from B & N. They make it very easy to do that, and I guess I will probably use that feature in a reading emergency. What I like is that I can sit and read without being so distracted. I think I have a shorter attention span since the onset (for me) of email, facebook, surfing the internet, etc.

Also, since you apparently can't renew e-books, and only get them for 14 days, I'm kind of taking the time to read more extensively than the last couple of years, I think. Would hate to be in the middle of one and have it disappear, although I can always go back in and either download it again or get on a request list.

I think I will love downloading travel books (with maps) instead of lugging around heavy paperbooks when sightseeing. Already downloaded a free foreign language phrase book from B & N. And apparently, there is a free Friday book every week. Planning on going to the Nook group here in TV, which meets monthly, for other tips.

PennBF
11-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Both my wife and I have (a) 2 Good Laptops, (b) Kindles with 3G..Her's the smaller one and mine the large one and (c) iPad's 2 ..One without 3G and one with 3G. (d) iPhones 4's with 3G. We like the iPad's however they are better for travel and use the Kindle to read. The iPad's are good to move around the house and tap into eMail but they are not as useful as the Laptops for home purposes and the Kindle for reading. Given that we could pick only 2 I think I would prefer a laptop and a kindle. The iPad being a nice add on but not as essential as the first two. The iphone's are very good for travel and eMail, etc. and although we did not realize it at the time the GPS is better than the TOM TOM when traveling. :wave:

Avista
11-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Both my wife and I have (a) 2 Good Laptops, (b) Kindles with 3G..Her's the smaller one and mine the large one and (c) iPad's 2 ..One without 3G and one with 3G. (d) iPhones 4's with 3G. We like the iPad's however they are better for travel and use the Kindle to read. The iPad's are good to move around the house and tap into eMail but they are not as useful as the Laptops for home purposes and the Kindle for reading. Given that we could pick only 2 I think I would prefer a laptop and a kindle. The iPad being a nice add on but not as essential as the first two. The iphone's are very good for travel and eMail, etc. and although we did not realize it at the time the GPS is better than the TOM TOM when traveling. :wave:

Interesting. We also have a laptop, Nook and iPad. I prefer the iPad over the laptop and Nook. (Although I use all three.). Just a matter of taste, I guess.

jblum315
11-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Interesting. We also have a laptop, Nook and iPad. I prefer the iPad over the laptop and Nook. (Although I use all three.). Just a matter of taste, I guess.
I have an iPad, a Kindle 2 and a Kindle Fire (the last because I just couldn't resist it) Traveling recently, I found the Kindle Fire more useful than the iPad in retrieving and sending my email as long as I had WiFi access.

cybrgeezer
11-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Contrary to some other posters, I think I like that my Nook is not connected to the internet - except if I want to order books (read that Spend Money) from B & N. They make it very easy to do that, and I guess I will probably use that feature in a reading emergency.

I also have the Nook (Simple Touch) and I use the internet option frequently, without spending a penny. B&N offers many free books, with new ones added each week, on Friday (bn.com, search for Free Fridays). You "purchase" those books and later get an email showing you spent $0.00.

Avista
11-30-2011, 02:40 PM
I have an iPad, a Kindle 2 and a Kindle Fire (the last because I just couldn't resist it) Traveling recently, I found the Kindle Fire more useful than the iPad in retrieving and sending my email as long as I had WiFi access.

Just curious. Why was the Kindle Fire easier for emails when traveling. We just got back from a two week cruise. Wrote my emails off line and when we got to a port found a hot spot to send them off. (using my iPad)

njbchbum
11-30-2011, 03:57 PM
i just purchased the nook tablet [wi-fi no 3g] and i am HOOKED! i evaluated the ipad and all sorts of tablets and e-readers and tossed and turned over making a decision! the cnet reviews on each product made me choose the nook because of its screen clarity and because of the add'l memory that can be added via a micro sd card! the ipad offered functions that this newbie user just did not need at this stage - thus, i could not justify the expense - maybe later on if i become dependent on such electronics!!! ;) i'll use the nook primarily for entertainment when travelling between homes in maine and florida, as well as streaming an occasional movie from netflix.

will attend my first nook session @ b&n tomorrow nite and look forward to finding out even more potential offered by this gizmo! am hoping i might meet someone there who can - "after class" - show me how easy it is to sideload the amazon appstore!! as i indicated, am nook hooked!

grandma-annie
12-02-2011, 01:36 PM
When I find a seach thread...and it says 1 of 6 pages, how do I get to the pages beyond the first page.

zcaveman
12-02-2011, 01:42 PM
When I find a seach thread...and it says 1 of 6 pages, how do I get to the pages beyond the first page.

On the right hand side at the top or the first post and the bottom of the last post is the page indicator. Click on 2,3,4,5,6 to go to that page or last to get to the end.

logdog
12-03-2011, 06:01 PM
I have the 1st Edition nook and was very happy with it until I played around with the nook tablet. I knew I would get one eventually when the prices came down and all the kinks were worked out. Then came Cyber Monday last week with Barnes & Noble taking $50 off. I couldn't resist. The tablet is absolutely fantastic. For me it made sense to stay with the nook since I already have a library of over a hundred free nook books that transferred right over to the tablet. I was initially concerned about glare when reading for lengthy periods but found a nice sepia background that's easy on the eyes. The browser is almost as fast as my desktop and I can check in on TOTV and news feeds with ease. Still having some issues with e-mail but working that out with the folks at the Barnes & Noble store. Nice to have local tech support. Apps are easy to download and a lot of fun. This thing is a whole lot more than just an e-reader.

njbchbum
12-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I have the 1st Edition nook and was very happy with it until I played around with the nook tablet. I knew I would get one eventually when the prices came down and all the kinks were worked out. Then came Cyber Monday last week with Barnes & Noble taking $50 off. I couldn't resist. The tablet is absolutely fantastic. For me it made sense to stay with the nook since I already have a library of over a hundred free nook books that transferred right over to the tablet. I was initially concerned about glare when reading for lengthy periods but found a nice sepia background that's easy on the eyes. The browser is almost as fast as my desktop and I can check in on TOTV and news feeds with ease. Still having some issues with e-mail but working that out with the folks at the Barnes & Noble store. Nice to have local tech support. Apps are easy to download and a lot of fun. This thing is a whole lot more than just an e-reader.

i got the nook just before thanksgiving and i am enamored by it, too! just wish it had more free apps for word games. am sure they will come in time.

logdog - check out the pulse and tv.com apps - they're free to download and great to use in wi-fi!

logdog
12-04-2011, 09:29 AM
i got the nook just before thanksgiving and i am enamored by it, too! just wish it had more free apps for word games. am sure they will come in time.

logdog - check out the pulse and tv.com apps - they're free to download and great to use in wi-fi!

Thanks for the tip. I was looking for a TV app and tv.com works great. I like pulse also. Can't beat the price. I'm posting this from my tablet. Can't put it down. Help...

njbchbum
12-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the tip. I was looking for a TV app and tv.com works great. I like pulse also. Can't beat the price. I'm posting this from my tablet. Can't put it down. Help...

glad ya liked that one.

do you know how to use the 'shop' icon to get a list of all the free books/apps?

send me a pm if you need that info - don't wanna tie-up a thread just for the nook!

there is a free smithsonian app that is supposed to be a good one, too - lots of videos.

logdog
12-04-2011, 01:34 PM
When you drill down to a specific catagory, ie apps, games, then word; the top bar lets you sort. Default is "Best Selling" but you can change that to "Price: low to high" to see the free apps. Works the same for books.

grandma-annie
12-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Is there someone who could meet me at one of the rec centers to show me how to get started on my Kindle Fire.?.. Am registered, battery is charged, and have amazon prime. But I am so tech. impaired... it's unbelievable. Thanks a bunch.

njbchbum
12-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Is there someone who could meet me at one of the rec centers to show me how to get started on my Kindle Fire.?.. Am registered, battery is charged, and have amazon prime. But I am so tech. impaired... it's unbelievable. Thanks a bunch.

i'm sure you will hear from lots of volunteers who will want to help you - but for a back-up you might be able to get some assistance from the sales staff at staples where the kindle fire is sold. a slaesperson was most helpful to me when i was wrangling with the decision re which e-reader or tablet i should buy!

grandma-annie
12-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the tip....

njbchbum
12-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the tip....

welcome:)

rosygail
01-22-2012, 06:27 PM
We are a house divided. My Husband has a Nook Tablet and I have a kIndle Fire. We are both very happy with our choices. I am a more prolific reader than he is and I love all the free books I can get from Amazon. Not so many free books available from B&N. Check with your library and see if they loan for both formats. Our Northern library does.

All things considered, If you want lots of free books available, go Kindle. If you don't mind paying for every book go Nook!

We are coming down to close on our new villa Feb 10-13! Can't wait!

jojo
01-22-2012, 09:25 PM
I have a Nook Color and a Kindle Fire. Barnes and Noble has a free book every Friday. I do find it easier to download library books to the Kindle. Amazon has a reduced price book daily. I like both.

njbchbum
01-22-2012, 09:39 PM
i have a nook and if you go to 'shop' then 'books' and sort by ascending price you can find LOTS of free books that are available besides the free friday selection!

logdog
01-23-2012, 05:36 PM
I have the Nook Tablet and over 100 free ebooks collected over the past year. Also, I have several free library cards that keep me in ebooks.

The Amazon Fire does have more apps available but the Nook Tablet is more powerful and made the CNET top 5 Tablets of the Year list. The Fire did not. Best 5 tablets - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tablets/)

Barnes & Noble has been running specials lately so you can get their tablet for the same price as the Fire. I paid $199 for mine on Cyber Monday.

tomjbud
01-23-2012, 06:49 PM
My wife and I are a house divided - she has the Kindle Fire and I have the Nook Tablet. Both are wonderful machines. WiFi and Web Browsing are about equal. The Nook has the edge for storage capacity, with a 32 GB optional storage card. I have already loaded complete movies - great for travel. The Nook also seems more compatible with our local public library.

The Kindle has the advantage of more content from Amazon, including free books. Neither of us have downloaded magazines or newspapers, but the mobile version of our local paper works fine on both. We also love the small size as compared to the Apple ipad.

In short, I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.

South Bend, IN
soon to be in TV

Yankee Quilter
01-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Love my Nook but Santa brought me a iPad for Christmas. Now I have the nook and Kindle app so guess it is the best of 2 worlds!

TrudyM
01-04-2013, 08:38 PM
I thought I would give you all an update on the new Kindle paperwhite. I got one and love it. The side lighting (nook has one with the same feature) but still using the e ink is just the best. I can adjust it to compensate for glare or run it up to read in bed at night without wakeing the hubby. Used it on the plane while others watched the movie.
It does not have text to speach and is so light weight you really need a cover or at least I do or I drop it. Also bought an off brand of cover and accessory kit that works great for charging and was much less than the amazon version. Here is what I bought from the Amazon site but not an amazon product, Ionic Black Folio Leather Case with Charger and Screen Protector For Amazon Kindle PaperWhite, Kindle Paper White 3G New Kindle eReader.

PS. More and more authors are giving their books away for a day or two on Amazon to get people to try their work. The ones available change every day but if you get it when it is free you get to keep it forever they are betting that you will like it and buy others. The new ones are listed on Kindle Buffet- Kindle Buffet (http://www.weberbooks.com/kindle/) Alot of the titles offered as a temp promotion free here are also available for the nook free also or so a friend told me.

I read all your suggestions before I bought my first one so I thought I would return the favor.

Happy New Year
TrudyM (still soggy in Seattle)

Liebdoc
01-04-2013, 08:57 PM
I was a dedicated "real" book enthusiast and resisted an ereader for years. I finally gave in and found that with a cover just like the hardcover of a book, I had the tactile fulfillment of holding a book with the added advantages an ereader affords as mentioned in previous responses. I now have three kindles and "never leave home without it." Good luck!