PDA

View Full Version : How have you organized your Kindle

movinsoon
01-16-2011, 04:21 PM
I am trying to decide the best way to organize books on my Kindle. I recently purchased a collection of JD Robb on ebay and made a collection for all of them. The rest I have in collections called read and unread. I plan to purchase more collections by the authors that I read all the time but cannot decide how to best save them. Also, do you store some books on your computer and then download them to your kindle when you are ready to read them or do you keep everything on your Kindle?

Nansim
01-16-2011, 04:30 PM
I just bought a Kindle. I didn't know you could buy books on Ebay. Are they cheaper than through the Kindle store? Nancy

barb1191
01-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I am trying to decide the best way to organize books on my Kindle. I recently purchased a collection of JD Robb on ebay and made a collection for all of them. The rest I have in collections called read and unread. I plan to purchase more collections by the authors that I read all the time but cannot decide how to best save them. Also, do you store some books on your computer and then download them to your kindle when you are ready to read them or do you keep everything on your Kindle?

Why not store each authors' books separately on CDs, flash drive or the like rather than on your Kindle or C drive? In that fashion, you can have easier access to your authors' separated and stored, as well as keeping your C drive less cumbersome.

We have a kindle and love it but haven't become that ambitious in heavy-duty reading. (Especially since the football season is upon us.) :bowdown:

Pturner
01-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi Memason,
I have the original Kindle, which didn't have the "collections" feature. My lighter, thinner 3rd gen. Kindle is on the way! Can't wait.

One thought: Since you can put a book in more than one category (collection), you could have a category for each author you collect and file the same books under "read" or "unread".

I've thought about doing Feb. 2011, March 2011, etc. categories to challenge myself to read more. If I put something in Feb. 2011 and don't get to it next month, or decided on something else instead, I would move it up a month or so. If I do this, I would still keep all my unread books in an unread category so I could reconsider my next reads.

I don't think I will use a "read" collection though. If it's not in my unread, I read it, so it doesn't seem useful. Maybe I'll file those I've read by genre and/or author. In addition, I'm thinking about filing them as 1-star, 2-star, etc. When somebody asks me to recommend a book, I could review my 4-star list.

I don't keep books on my computer to download later to Kindle, as I always just download them straight to Kindle. If I were buying a large collection at once though, I might consider doing this.

Happy reading.

BBQMan
01-16-2011, 06:48 PM
I keep books that I am currently reading or refer to a great deal on my Kindle. For the rest, I rely upon the library function on Amazon. I can always go back and retrieve any bought that I have paid for or received free.

KayakerNC
01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
My collections are mostly by author. I also have a "Currently Reading" and a "Finished Books". I tend to pick up a lot of free books from Amazon and Smashwords, so I have one called "Free & Iffy" for those.:read:
My K3 has a 3500 book capacity, so I'm not too worried about over-loading. And once a week (Sunday), I copy my Kindle's document file to my thumb drive for back-up.

movinsoon
01-16-2011, 10:14 PM
I just bought a Kindle. I didn't know you could buy books on Ebay. Are they cheaper than through the Kindle store? Nancy

Yes but it takes a little time to get them to your Kindle. I purchased 37 JD Robb for $10. If you would like details send me a PM

LittleDog
01-17-2011, 11:07 AM
My collections are mostly by author. I also have a "Currently Reading" and a "Finished Books". I tend to pick up a lot of free books from Amazon and Smashwords, so I have one called "Free & Iffy" for those.:read:
My K3 has a 3500 book capacity, so I'm not too worried about over-loading. And once a week (Sunday), I copy my Kindle's document file to my thumb drive for back-up.

Amazon has all the books you purchased in their archives. If for some reason your Kindle crashed you could just download your books from Amazon. You needn't copy your books to your thumb drive.

John

KayakerNC
01-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Amazon has all the books you purchased in their archives. If for some reason your Kindle crashed you could just download your books from Amazon. You needn't copy your books to your thumb drive.
John

Amazon does not keep books from other vendors such as Smashwords, Webscription (Baen Free Library) or Tor, in the archives. Converted PDF's are not archived. Also if you get a book from Amazon that they later decide was a mistake for them to sell, it will also disappear from the archives.
Having had a Kindle crash and replaced thru Amazon's great customer service, I'll keep my thumb drive backup.:read:

crummybuttons
03-05-2013, 12:10 PM

I for one go to the Menu button and hit Create New Collection. Then I put all of the authors (Grisham) in that collection. I do this for each author. For instance I have a collection called "Stephnie Meyer" Twilight Series and so on. This makes for a clean organized Kindle. I guess I have OCD and have to have things in neat order.