PDA

View Full Version : Private "taxi" to MCO

cybermuda
02-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I have looked at previous threads concerning transport to/from MCO in other than the advertised shuttles/vans/taxis, but none of the contact details appears to be current.

My best journey to MCO was in a private car operated by a TV resident, earning some spending money for himself, but he has sadly passed away.

Grateful for any leads on residents who provide airport transportation.

Thank you

cybermuda
03-30-2011, 02:04 PM
My wife and I used All Area Car Service to get from TV to MCO yesterday and are happy to recommend it

Cost for the two of us was $55 (plus tip) and door-to-door was one hour fifteen minutes

Don Ried can be reached on 352-446-8986

Talk Host
03-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Are these shuttles insured as livery operators. If not, you could lose big if there is an accident. If he hits a school bus and he has no insurance for "car for hire" you could be considered his employer and "boink."

anotherNYtransplant
03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Good point. I never thought of that. Last trip here I used the shuttleliner. they were very reasonable.

cybermuda
03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Are these shuttles insured as livery operators. If not, you could lose big if there is an accident. If he hits a school bus and he has no insurance for "car for hire" you could be considered his employer and "boink."

It amuses me what people choose to worry about.

Of course, IF he was uninsured and IF he hit a school bus and IF he caused enough damage/injury to be sued and IF it was proved that I was his employer THEN I would be in a fix, but the chance of all that happening is so remote that I don't worry about it.

Are the Villages Shuttles insured? One hopes so, but have you checked?

Are the Villages Taxis well-maintained? Have you checked? If not, you could be seated happily in the back seat when the steering column shears and the car veers into a lamp-post and you get paralysed from the neck down.

What about that anti-meteorite hat you forgot to wear when you went outside today? Risky move - you never know when one is going to hit.

shcisamax
03-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Is there a Village taxi in addition to the shuttle? For some reason, when we fly in, our flight invariably arrives 5 minutes after the shuttle leaves and so we always have to rent a car. On the next trip, we need to have one way transport and we have a small dog so what would someone suggest?

Barefoot
03-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Is there a Village taxi in addition to the shuttle? For some reason, when we fly in, our flight invariably arrives 5 minutes after the shuttle leaves and so we always have to rent a car. On the next trip, we need to have one way transport and we have a small dog so what would someone suggest?

If you look at the thread "Transportation To/From the Airport", you'll see some good information.

My husband used to commute a lot and he would arrive at midnight after the Village Shuttle had stopped running. He used the Village Airport Van a lot because it runs 24 hours a day. (But there is some waiting involved, please be clear on that, it's not like your own personal taxi, it's a shuttle bus).

jblum315
03-12-2012, 04:04 AM

They are all insured and bonded. Otherwise they could not operate.

Ohiogirl
03-12-2012, 07:55 AM
I believe the poster was talking about private villagers operating as livery drivers on occasion, for extra income. Yes, they probably have auto insurance (like you and I do), but most auto policies have an exclusion if the vehicle is being operated as a livery service and is not insured as such with a commercial policy.

Talkhost is correct in that if there was an accident, the operator's insurance company would likely deny coverage if they found out the vehicle was being used as a "for hire" enterprise. And that's one of the questions an adjuster is supposed to ask. They'd also ask the relationship to the driver of any injured passengers. Many factors could trip a more extensive investigation. That's not to say it couldn't slip by, but it's a big chance to take. It's possibly your own coverage would then kick in, but who wants to go thru this kind of hassle?

This is not to say there aren't villagers doing this who do have the proper commercial policy - I have no idea.