PDA

View Full Version : Gardeners, I need a source for an arch. Ideas please?

Boomer
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I am stuck in Cincinnati, but at least the sun is shining today. I am looking out the window and making plans.

I would like to find a high quality metal arch to go over the sidewalk entrance to the patio. The arch would be next to a short section of privacy fence that has autumn clematis climbing on it, and that's the plant I would use on the arch, too. Autumn clematis is fast and tough. I have had it on the fence for two years. It climbed the fence and bloomed beautifully its first year and did great the next year, too. And it does not mind being mostly ignored. Not like some of those clematis from my past who always whined if I did not keep their feet in shade and their heads in sun.

So anyway, that's the plan. An arch covered with a vine that covers itself with little white flowers just as summer is starting to get a little long in the tooth.

But the problem is that I cannot find a source for a good metal arch that will last for a long time. I used to subscribe to "Fine Gardening" which had ads for suppliers that were good ones, but I don't subscribe anymore.

So if anybody knows of a good source to find the arch of my dreams, one that will not have to be replaced every year or two, please let me know. My patio is rather small and I am going after a kind of beer garden look. I was going to say biergarten but do not know for sure how to spell it.

Bavarian Boomer (ancestrally speaking that is)

batman911
03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Boomer,

Maybe a blacksmith shop could make a custom arch for you from your own design. Usually not too expensive and you could paint it any color.

JohnN
03-01-2011, 06:53 PM
yeah, I would think that's not too costly and any iron shop can make one just right for you. trapped in Cincy? Brrrrrrrrrrrr

Boomer
03-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi batman,

Thank you. I like that idea a lot. And it would mean that I would be paying someone who is in business locally. I like doing that whenever I can.

I have an old metal lawn chair from the 40's that was in my parents' yard long, long ago. I held onto it because I knew that someday I would bring it out of the basement and get it all spiffed up and use it.

But the more I looked at the job, the more I knew that i could never get it to look like I want it to look. It is one of those all-metal chairs with a shell-shaped back. There have been knock-offs of those in Target and other places, but my chair is a real one. I envision it in turquoise, a turquoise of that '57 Chevy shade.

So what I did was I took the chair to a little shop to be sandblasted. And part II of my plan is to next schlep it somewhere to be powder-coated.

So as you can tell, your idea is right up my alley. Thank you.

Boomer

salpal
03-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Just Googled "metal garden arbor" and saw numerous ones such as:

http://www.garden.com/arbors-and-structures/metal-arbors/1934/

http://www.simplyarbors.com/arbors/metal/2186+2188+4293326011.cfm?source=googleaw&kwid=metal%20garden%20arbor&tid=exact

http://www.homegardenandpatio.com/patio/rod_iron_furniture.htm

bike42
03-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Smith & Hawken has very nice metal arches. Apparently they are part of Target now. See
http://www.target.com/b/ref=sc_iw_r_sh_nav_2_5/?node=2518874011

graciegirl
03-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Boomer,

Go up North, near our house, to the Frontgate outlet. We bought a really neat metal gazebo there a few years back for a fraction of what they were asking.

Their pricing is WAY too high...but we found this gazebo that looks weathered, even has that rusty greenish look that the designers call vere something, but it is made of aluminum that lasts for a long time.

We kept going back every week until it was marked WAY down. Sometimes they have stuff like that there...and sometimes I stand and laugh uproariously at how much they are asking for towels.

Cheapy Gracie

Boomer
03-02-2011, 02:28 PM
A big thank you to all of you for the help. I have been around TOTV for several hundred years, and I have yet to ask a question where I did not get fast and excellent answers. -- And also, I have had lots of fun here along the way.

Boomer