PDA

View Full Version : Sunsets are one thing....

ajbrown
03-05-2011, 12:01 PM
..... but a set of one year old Trojan batteries after first their annual cleaning is simply breathtaking .....

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030773.jpg

OK, I admin it, I may be just a bit bored waiting for my tee time...:icon_bored:, but consider this a public service to remind folks to maintain their battery pack.

Bill-n-Brillo
03-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Pristine! Good job..........and sorry about your boredom!! :)

Bill

K9-Lovers
03-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ~ paraphrased from Plato

graciegirl
03-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ~ paraphrased from Plato

Two votes for batteries. One vote for sunsets.

It takes all kinds of us to make this world.

ajbrown
03-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Not sure what to expect when I posted that picture. You all made me smile... thanks :D

Fourpar
03-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Not sure what to expect when I posted that picture. You all made me smile... thanks :D

I just can't figure out where you sit on that thing:a040:

pooh
03-08-2011, 07:40 AM
BRAVO!! Good picture and very CLEAN batteries! :BigApplause:

EdV
03-08-2011, 07:43 AM
AJ, how do you clean them.

skyguy79
03-08-2011, 08:08 AM
I just can't figure out where you sit on that thing:a040:Let's hope it's not like they say at the race track.... "IT'S POST TIME!" http://www.smilies.our-local.co.uk/index_files/sign_ouch.gif

ajbrown
03-08-2011, 09:55 AM
AJ, how do you clean them.

Not sure you are asking me for my whole procedure or not, but here it is just in case. I follow the general guideline at: http://www.trojanbattery.com/BatteryMaintenance/Cleaning.aspx

Notes:

Do not clean your batteries on your driveway.
Find a way to protect your controller and computer from excessive water.

I have switched from baking soda to a battery cleaner/acid neutralizer. IMO, it is much easier to work with and clean up. In this case I used Noco Battery Cleaner and Acid Detector. You spray in on and it foams up yellow, turning purple if any acid is detected. Wal-Mart has cans for less than $3 - $5.

My procedure looks like this:

Take body off. This is optional, but this Club Car has 8 6V batteries and it makes it easier to get to everything.
Roll cart onto front lawn.
I detach battery pack's + and - terminals, optional, but dead shorts can be a scary thing and when I am in and around the pack/motor I do it by habit.
I use hot soapy water to clean around rear axle, motor to keep dirt and grease free. Obviously optional, but while I am here….
Visually inspect batteries and cables.
Make sure battery caps tight.
Talk to neighbors who are going by (this step will be repeated for everyone that passes, especially if your cart has no body :)). It is the most enjoyable part of the process.
I spray the sides, backs and between batteries first, looking for any acid (spray turns purple). If I find acid on the side, near tray it may cause me to remove batteries and wash tray. I do not expect to find acid on sides and did not this time. If I do find acid I make a note to keep an eye on that area.
Next I spray each terminal, battery holders and tops of batteries, again looking for acid, where I see acid I spray a bit more in that area. I DO NOT put neutralizer on caps. To wash caps I take them off after I am done and do them separately.
I use a big brush to give the terminals and battery tops a gentle scrub. Be careful to not scrub the neutralizer into the cap vent holes.
I wash down the pack with low pressure and re-inspect. If any areas are still dirty I redo.
At this point the pack is clean and acid free.
I now disconnect each terminal, inspect connector, rewash connector and terminal with battery cleaner. I reattach wires.
Wipe pack dry.
Check and tighten battery holders.
Spray connections with battery terminal protector.

When you write it down it seems like alot of work, but it is not so bad....

ajbrown
03-09-2011, 01:56 PM
I just can't figure out where you sit on that thing:a040:

A seat? Only so many hours in a day and I had a tee time. Nothing a small piece of plywood will not solve. I would recommend removing all jewelry and wallet chains :)

Dennis Ga
03-09-2011, 03:50 PM
They look GREAT, but after reading this I think a Gas Cart will be what I get next year when we move to The Villages. 14 Months and counting:wave:

ajbrown
03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
They look GREAT, but after reading this I think a Gas Cart will be what I get next year when we move to The Villages. 14 Months and counting:wave:

Get whatever kind of cart meets your needs, but do not give up on electric because of me. I always make stuff sound harder than it is. So you kill an hour shining batteries while soaking up some sun and chatting about carts with neighbors, how can that be bad :beer3:

rubicon
03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
aj nice pictures. How many miles do you get with 8 batteries?

ajbrown
03-09-2011, 05:33 PM
aj nice pictures. How many miles do you get with 8 batteries?

I did a test a year ago when I had first rebuilt the cart with two sets of batteries (both in good shape). I took a set of 6-8 volt TrojanT890 (T890 has highest AH rating for 8V) batteries and ran the pack down 50% in about 35 miles.

I then replaced with a set in the same cart with 8-6 volt T105s. This time it took over 50 miles to run the pack to 50%.

I do not run my pack to less than 50%, so that is why I stopped there. In both cases the cart was running as fast as it was in the first 5 miles. My gut feel is I could have pushed another 20%++ mileage out of each.

That was a perfect comparison of 8 versus 6 volt packs in same cart.

same
03-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Do you plug in the charger after say a short `10 or 15 minute ride?

Dennis Ga
03-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for you saying in a later post that you got 35 - 50 miles out of a charge that sounds good to me. I guess it will just depend on where we buy a home and where we will be going.:faint:

ajbrown
03-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Do you plug in the charger after say a short `10 or 15 minute ride?

/** caveat reader: I just washed my batteries and posted a picture, no professional here :icon_wink: **/

I have read so many opinions on this question I am not sure a correct answer exists.

My rule of thumb is to charge after 15-20 minutes or more of pedal time. As an example, last night I went to the post office within a mile and back and did not charge. If that is all I ever did with the cart I would probably charge weekly.

That said, I almost never just go for rides less than 20 minutes, so I charge daily.

IMO, it is more important to not discharge the pack too far between charges. I think many folks run the pack down way too low (past 50% discharge) with each use which really affects live of pack.

rubicon
03-10-2011, 03:36 PM
ajbrown thank you for that info. I have 6-8v Trojans just changed to Powertrons. I believe with my trojans would get 25 miles and then could feel the motor somewhat strained even though my gauge registered in the green zone . I am going to test the Powertron to see if I can reach 35 miles without much of a loss. If I can then I am saitisifed because it will equate to travel to and from the new championship course on 466A and 18 holes of play. By the way I ran across a guy who claimed 95 miles with his 8/6v battery pack? God bless him if its true. I suspect that there are some variables with different carts that alter these figures?

ajbrown
03-10-2011, 04:26 PM
ajbrown thank you for that info. I have 6-8v Trojans just changed to Powertrons. I believe with my trojans would get 25 miles and then could feel the motor somewhat strained even though my guage registered in the green zone . I am going to test the Powertron to see if I can reach 35 miles without much of a loss. If I can then I am saitisifed because it will equate to travel to and from the new championship course on 466A and 18 holes of play. By the way I ran across a guy who claimed 95 miles with his 8/6v battery pack? God bless him if its true. I suspect that there are some variables with different carts that alter these figures?

I sure would have a bunch of questions for a 95 mile claim :D. I wonder if he is related to the salesman for EZGO that told me his Mom was getting 60+ miles in the new AC drive RXV. Not saying 95 is not doable, but I see no way driving as "we" do around here in TV.

25 miles is not too too bad, depending.... I recently bought an '02 Club Car DS with 3 year old 6-8V Trojan T875s. I just took it out to test batteries before some guests arrive and 50% discharge takes about 26 miles. Were your Trojans older? If not, any chance they were T860s?

I am not sure the gauge you mean, but below is the gauge that came with my used carts. The line between the green and white (F) is 48 volts. When I say I "never" go below 50% pack discharge, I mean that the needle will be at least at that line (F) or above after the cart has sat for 5 minutes. If it will not recover above that F line it has discharged more than I like.

I will do another test with the 8-6v before I head home to document how batteries are aging. Maybe I will get 96 miles :loco:

Should probably move this thread to all about golf carts and things :)