PDA

View Full Version : adding landscape islands in yard

sonny&karen
03-06-2011, 07:41 AM
has any one added any islands in their yard? if so who did you use? rock or mulch ?we are trying to get rid of some grass we have huge corner lot

thanks
sonny

Ohiogirl
03-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Sumter County extension agents and master gardeners at various meetings (Garden Club and Twice on Tuesday, etc) all recommend avoiding stone and lava rock - gets too hot. Stresses the plants.

They said, to paraphrase, that if you "have" to use it (or already have it), to not put it right up to the base of the plants but to leave a buffer of natural mulch (wood chips, etc) for a few inches around the base of each plant.

kb8tpw
03-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Villages Palms, on 466 near Rolling Acres designed and built our "island" along with the remainder of our landscaping. We too have a huge corner lot with a lot of grass that needed to be considered. The island contains a waterfall and pond and fills in the corner of the lot very well. We are extremely happy and get many compliments. Plan a pergola on the corner of the house in the next few months to set it all off. We used mulch and omitted the curb-it. PM me and I'll give you address and you can stop by and see it firsthand. Ray

Atlantic
03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi Sonny and Karen, are you here permanetly now? I sent you a message a while back with our phone number. We also used Villages Palms. Drop by and see us. D&j

barb1191
03-06-2011, 05:41 PM
has any one added any islands in their yard? if so who did you use? rock or mulch ?we are trying to get rid of some grass we have huge corner lot

thanks
sonny

We have a corner lot and an island and I would prefer to have it all grass as the island commands more care with pruning than I care to keep up with. We purchased a for-sale-by-owner and have no regrets about that as there were sooo many extras that were all inclusive in the sale. No big deal, it's just that I would prefer the grass rather than the cost and care of all the shrubs in the island. Just something to mull over.

raynan
03-06-2011, 06:27 PM
kb8tpw & Atlantic
We want to use Village Palms on our corner lot as recommended by several people on TOTV. If you would PM me, my husband and I would love to do a driveby to see how you handled the corner lot. Thanks
Nancy

momar
03-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Regarding landscaping islands, we and three other neighbors had landscaping involving various palms, shrubs and flowers in the islands. We are all pleased with the work done by Jamie's Landscaping.

billethkid
03-19-2011, 04:22 PM
depending upon the kind that is used. As said in another post above, do not put rock around the base of any plants. The weight and density does not allow air to get at the base of the plant.

btk

PS yes rock is more expensive initially....but then you are done!