PDA

View Full Version : Score Tracking Software

memason
03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Anyone have a software package that tracks golf score, calculates handicaps and overall statistics ??

PC, MAC, iPad or Android platform is fine.... Would prefer free, but paid is OK too.

Thanks .... Mike

Bosoxfan
03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
bump

Pturner
03-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I like ViewTI for iPhone. But it's not free. Mike, didn't you use to have a good golf app on your iPhone?

memason
03-28-2011, 05:28 PM
I like ViewTI for iPhone. But it's not free. Mike, didn't you use to have a good golf app on your iPhone?
Hi P.... yeah, I used GolfLogix on the iPhone in Germany. I have it for the Android phone, but don't like the scoring feature very well. It does work well for GPS, during play and I believe all of TV courses are mapped, including all but the newest Exec. courses. I'll take a look at Viewti too...

Thanks....

BowleesCreekYachtClub
03-28-2011, 06:07 PM
If you have a Callaway Upro GPS you can add the scoring function for $20 and enter the scores as you play.

Pturner
03-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi P.... yeah, I used GolfLogix on the iPhone in Germany. I have it for the Android phone, but don't like the scoring feature very well. It does work well for GPS, during play and I believe all of TV courses are mapped, including all but the newest Exec. courses. I'll take a look at Viewti too...

Thanks....

Hope you get some more ideas too. Although the scoring feature on Viewti is fabulous, the app overall can be confusing. There have been times when I quit using it during a round because I'd get the wrong screen and couldn't get back to what I wanted. Don't want to hold up the field using my GPS app! It has a steep learning curve and when I haven't used it in a while, I have to reorient myself to it before I can use it during play.

With those caveats, it has cool scoring features. If you take the time to input what club you used on each shot, and let it know when you get to your ball, it will calculate the average distance you hit each club and eventually, recommend a club for each shot like a caddy would. Theoretically-- although I mess up trying-- you can get the distance to any landing spot you want, not just distance to defined features. So if you want to land at a certain location to avoid a tricky next shot, it will calculate the distance to that landing area and recommend a club for the shot.

It presumably reads the greens too, but I haven't taken advantage because it's not realistic during casual play to spend time fooling with it and then not being ready when it's my turn to putt.

So, it's good features are it's bad ones too. I actually like to learn the gee-whiz features of complex apps on my computer (such as Adobe Dreamweaver, InDesign, etc.), but on the golf course, I find a rich-featured app can be too time consuming.

I want to focus on my game on the course, not my app, and to enjoy the folks I'm golfing with. Another problem is you can't help spot a playing partner's ball when you're keying in data and studying your app. I guess I'd rather be a good etiquette golfer than a good golfer. OR...

That's my excuse and I'm sticking too it.:D

BogeyBoy
03-28-2011, 07:26 PM
I have Golflogix on my iPhone. I have used GolfLogix for a few years, first with the Garmin powered Golf GPS they sold, then with a Droid, a Blackberry, and now the iPhone. Each device had slightly different software and the best was for the Droid until a very recent update for the iPhone. I like it so far but have only used it a few times with the upgrades. Makes it easier to enter scores, etc. Allows you to track distance on each club. Allows you to enter (as baseline info) the distance you hit each club and then that club flashes as the recommended club for the distance.

As I said, I've only used it a few times but am quite pleased so far.

One last thing, you can also logon to your account online and check your stats, change what you have in your bag, etc. (More stuff there that I have not investigated.)

Bosoxfan
03-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I use Free Caddie Pro on my droid .It's $9.99 for the Pro version!

memason
03-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks everyone...

P... Thanks for the in-depth analysis. There is a free version of Viewti, so I might try that one. The free version is missing some of the functionality you mentioned, so it might be a little easier to use on the course. I agree with you though, you can spend more time tracking your shots than socializing and actually playing.... ha ha Hands down, paper is the easiest...

Since I already have a version of Golflogix, I think I'll give that a shot and see if it'll do what I want. I'm interested in how well it will upload and store rounds for analysis and handicapping.

Getting GPS yardage is really easy, but finding something to keep score is a bit more difficult. ...and the scorecards need to be available too.

Ciao....:thumbup:

Lobwedge60
03-30-2011, 07:36 PM
I have been using Stat Doctor for three years and it really helps pinpoint the serious areas of concern with my game. It is for PC and costs $33. You can keep what stats you want and get all types of reports and graphs.

http://www.golfstatdoctor.com/default.html