PDA

View Full Version : Do you use custom golf clubs?

Pturner
04-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Reading another thread brought this question to mind. I'm curious how many TV golfers use custom fit clubs. Although the poll itself only asks whether you do or do not use custom clubs, I would also love your thoughts on:

Whether you think they make a difference for average golfers? Do you need to be at least a certain handicap golfer before you notice a difference?
If you do have them, how much, if any, did they improve your game or confidence playing? Did anyone ever play worse after getting custom-fit clubs.
Ever had them, then bought a set that wasn't custom fit? How did it work out.
Any other thoughts and advice on the subject.

BogeyBoy
04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Based on my knowledge of golfers there is a ongoing effort to "buy" a better game. My guess would be that generally a golfer goes out and buys a new wedge, putter, brand of golf ball, etc. to try and improve. He/she does that without much thought, maybe a great ad on The Golf Channel got their attention. A lot of these clubs probably end up in the far corner of the garage.

I started golf by using my father's old clubs. Over the years I bought my own clubs and followed the pattern outlined above. Then in the mid-eighty's I quit golf, got expensive and took time I felt I good better use elsewhere. (Where I lived in southern California had limited courses and green fees got steep.)

I started to play again when we moved to TV just over 5 years ago. Bought clubs off the shelf. For the next four years I bought some miscellaneous fill in clubs and a new driver. (Starting to follow that old pattern.)

Then I took some lessons, improved my game, and got fitted for clubs. I realized I wasn't ever going to be a great player so asked to be fitted for clubs which best met my play and were somewhat forgiving. I'm glad I got fitted and my game is improving after I thought it had got to the best it would ever be.

To me the greatest advantage of getting fitted was having someone understand my game and recommend the clubs. I would not have picked the ones I ended up buying.

rubicon
04-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I have had three different sets of clubs and three different drivers. None helped I went to a pro to fit me for a driver and 3 wood. Both custom clubs have helped my games. so I am going to have him build me an iron set. Conversely I have riends with low handicaps that buy $39 clubs and hit them well. So ?????????????

katezbox
04-06-2011, 06:29 PM
PT,

You know my golf level - pretty much a bogey golfer. I finally had some clubs fitted for me this year. I have struggled with irons for years. and Maria Brooks (Pro at Palmer) told me that part of the reason was that standard women's clubs were too short for me. So I now own a set on Ping clubs with a laddies' flex and mens' standard length. The also adjusted the offset.

I play senior woods for some and ladies for others - all secondhand. I am doing much better with the irons, but struggling a bit with the new hybrids. Time to visit the range...

kate

hedoman
04-07-2011, 03:56 AM
We have to define custom. If I order clubs with the correct shaft flex, desired loft and lie, weight etc is that custom? Versus off the shelf? But if off the shelf meets my requirements are they custom because my personal "specs" are met?

Always buy clubs that fit YOUR swing
not fit your swing to the clubs...

BogeyBoy
04-07-2011, 05:33 AM
We have to define custom. If I order clubs with the correct shaft flex, desired loft and lie, weight etc is that custom? Versus off the shelf? But if off the shelf meets my requirements are they custom because my personal "specs" are met?

Always buy clubs that fit YOUR swing
not fit your swing to the clubs...

Good point but for this survey I would think "custom" means you had someone analyze your swing and make recommendations whether the clubs had to be tweaked or not.

"Non-custom" would mean you walked into Dick's Sporting Goods and bought a set of Callaway Clubs because you liked the ad on television and thought they were the clubs for you. Or you got a set of clubs from your sister in Montana who thought it was a nice birthday gift. She bought them at the local thrift store.

graciegirl
04-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Sweetie is a good golfer. His handicap wavers around my shoe size. I just asked him if he has/had custom clubs and he said no.

We have a LOT of clubs around here, yessir, yessir, six bags full, (Maybe more) accumulated over the years. We also have a catch net in the garage and a golf swing piece of exercise-like equipment in the box room. I don't ask what he buys because I shudder to know. (He is frugal in other areas but I suspect that he is NOT in golf equipment) I know he has good clubs, he has me so nicely outfitted that new friends think I can really play well. I inherited his set from some years ago and they seem to be improving as I am again playing more golf.

I am enjoying golf more in TV than I have in all of the 40 plus years I have played.

ajbrown
04-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Using Bogeyboys definition of custom....

I am not sure if a golfer needs to be at a certain level to gain the most from fitting. We know the tour pros still play with equipment to change flight characteristics. I question whether it matters to a beginner who cannot yet hit the ball consistently the same. I am not a professional so I have no data on that....

When I am in the market for clubs I usually begin by going through the selection process myself. A lot of it is how the club looks, then I hit some to see how it performs. Personally, I never buy a club off the shelf without hitting it at a range where I can feel the impact and I can see the flight of the ball.

If it is irons I MAY ask the pro at my club to watch me and see if changing lie angle/shaft changes the flight, but not always.

If it is a driver I will spend more time getting information. Like irons I can tell based on how the ball flies, but if there is a machine around and professional fitter that shows the spin characteristics it is a great tool.

What I have never done is be fitted for a ball. I would like to do this next time the opportunity arises. I believe the average golfer is often playing the wrong ball.

In the end even with the perfect equipment the only thing they cannot fix is my brain which is the most important tool in golf.:loco:

hedoman
04-07-2011, 09:47 AM
My philosophy in teaching beginners is to get them to try a few demo clubs while learnig to swing. Each person's "natural" swing is as unique as fingerprints and snowflakes. Once a reasonably consistant repeating swing is achieved then I fit them for the right flex, lie etc. If they can find them at Dick's all the better. Mostly it comes down to size (for taller folks) and regular or senior flex in shafts.... Most of the time you can find them on ebay or "expierienced" club bins......IF you know what to look for....

rubicon
04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Ssince my last post members have defined their meaning of custom built. In the past I worked with a pro to get fitted for a set of clubs/woods which we selected from the shelf.

Recently I went to a pro and we built a driver and a three wood from the ground up tested various club heads, shafts and grips. I intnd to do the same with irons. The difference may be as simple as a trust/confidence issue and while i will never become a legend it is working better for me than off the shelf fits.

Jhooman
04-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Hey Folks

My story about my golf game and clubs.

Took lessons 12 years ago through the park and Rec center here in Long Beach, Ca. I immediately fell in love with the game. My initial purchase of clubs were the cheapest available just in case I fell out of love with the game.

Two years later I'm still playing with my cheap clubs and not improving. I joined a womans club and had the opportunity to play with a Club Champion, she took a look at my cheap clubs and said, if you want to improve your game you need to invest in better equipment, your clubs are really sub par. My feelings were hurt for a second and I realized, maybe I should spend a little money on this game.

I went to our local pro shop and was fitted for clubs and to my wonder, my game turned around. That year I was the most improved golfer in two Women's clubs, I loved my new clubs.

Fast forward another 10 years, I still play with fitted clubs to fit some disabilities that I have with my hands. I play with mens clubs, large grips, two gloves and still periodically need to make changes to my equipment. Technology in the golf arena is amazing and my game is proof that fitted equipment works. I have a single digit handicap and I love this game, even the hideous shots.

That Club Champion called me the year I became the Club Champion and I will always be grateful for her candor and assessment of my pitiful equipment. As a woman golfer, we need to find a pro who truly understands our game and potential. Sometimes men, not all men, think women players are the hit and giggle type and do not take us seriously. I needed to be vigilante with my game and equipment.

When we move to TV I'll be looking for a Pro or someone who takes me and my game seriously.

So that's my story about my clubs. Keep tuned for the next saga.
chilout

Pturner
04-07-2011, 03:05 PM
It's interesting to read the different views about club fitting. I'm a bit confused the bases for fitting, specifically, how much size of the golfer vs. the golfer's swing factor into the equation.

For example, I've heard or read that a shorter person (or one whose figners are closer to the ground) needs a club with a flatter lie angle than someone who is taller. On the other hand, to correct a slice, a person should use use a more upright lie angle. So how does a pro fit a short person with a slice or a tall person with a hook?

Also, what factors are used to consider the loft of each club in a fitted set?

And length. If shorter people should use shorter clubs, doesn't that reduce their clubhead speed for each club?

What other aspects of a golf club are "fitted" to a golfer, and what factors go into determining the right fit?

And if you fit a club to correct difficiencies in someone's swing, does the club become ill fitted if the golfer improves his/her swing?

I'd love to hear from hedoman, who has done fittings as well as from those of you who have experience with having been fitted.

katezbox
04-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Hey Folks

Took lessons 12 years ago through the park and Rec center here in Long Beach, Ca. I immediately fell in love with the game. My initial purchase of clubs were the cheapest available just in case I fell out of love with the game.

Two years later I'm still playing with my cheap clubs and not improving. I joined a womans club and had the opportunity to play with a Club Champion, she took a look at my cheap clubs and said, if you want to improve your game you need to invest in better equipment, your clubs are really sub par. My feelings were hurt for a second and I realized, maybe I should spend a little money on this game.

I went to our local pro shop and was fitted for clubs and to my wonder, my game turned around. That year I was the most improved golfer in two Women's clubs, I loved my new clubs.

Fast forward another 10 years, I still play with fitted clubs to fit some disabilities that I have with my hands. I play with mens clubs, large grips, two gloves and still periodically need to make changes to my equipment. Technology in the golf arena is amazing and my game is proof that fitted equipment works. I have a single digit handicap and I love this game, even the hideous shots.

That Club Champion called me the year I became the Club Champion and I will always be grateful for her candor and assessment of my pitiful equipment. As a woman golfer, we need to find a pro who truly understands our game and potential. Sometimes men, not all men, think women players are the hit and giggle type and do not take us seriously. I needed to be vigilante with my game and equipment.

When we move to TV I'll be looking for a Pro or someone who takes me and my game seriously.

chilout

Great advice... I cringe when I see women trying to play with their husbands' castoffs. If you are young and athletic this may work; if you are like me, not a chance.

I will never have your handicap, but after 6 years my passion for the game has not diminished. The head Pro at Palmer is Maria Brooks. Stop and meet her next time you are here.

The Great Fumar
04-07-2011, 10:00 PM
This was very disturbing to me to read about not using hand me down clubs.....I have been using used clubs for 15 years and I think they are PALMADE BRAND or something like that , its hard to tell as the logos have worn off, they are persimmon heads and duck tape grips...Why do I use them you asked ? because Mrs Fumar handed them down to me and said for you they are good enough...
She personally has a Nike SQ 5000 Driver and uses Bridgestone balls because thats what Freddy uses...
I asked her if I could have the putter cut down because I'm vertically challenged but she said stop wasting money and use it like a belly putter like Freddy does....In fact she even gives me used golf balls that she finds on the courses......today I played with a PoDo ball from Walgreens 3 for 1.39 ............I pretty sure Freddy doesn't play with those......My point is that I'm very happy with my clubs and If I didn't have them I would be playing Botchee like every one else ... No Thanks

second hand Fumar .....:cryin2:

graciegirl
04-07-2011, 10:54 PM
This was very disturbing to me to read about not using hand me down clubs.....I have been using used clubs for 15 years and I think they are PALMADE BRAND or something like that , its hard to tell as the logos have worn off, they are persimmon heads and duck tape grips...Why do I use them you asked ? because Mrs Fumar handed them down to me and said for you they are good enough...
She personally has a Nike SQ 5000 Driver and uses Bridgestone balls because thats what Freddy uses...
I asked her if I could have the putter cut down because I'm vertically challenged but she said stop wasting money and use it like a belly putter like Freddy does....In fact she even gives me used golf balls that she finds on the courses......today I played with a PoDo ball from Walgreens 3 for 1.39 ............I pretty sure Freddy doesn't play with those......My point is that I'm very happy with my clubs and If I didn't have them I would be playing Botchee like every one else ... No Thanks

:1rotfl::1rotfl:

Fumar. You ain't right.

Jhooman
04-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Fumar

Behind every great Man, there's a great Woman golfer. Your wife has you under her spell.
:thumbup:

jebartle
04-08-2011, 04:58 AM
GG, we also have enough clubs in garage to open a golf shop....giggle..
We use to have a sign on our house that said "Golf spoken here"...to
say that w love the game is an understatement....The ole boy REALLY keeps up with the latest and greatest?? clubs...Always tweeking with shafts also...
We are both single digit handicap but he is more serious than I am...I use to play in lots of tournaments in NC but now I'm into more fun and less work!!! Custom clubs have greatly improved both of our games..

Pturner
04-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey Folks

chilout

Jhooman,
Thanks for sharing your story. I loved reading how you went from a duffer to Club Champion. :BigApplause:Almost makes me feel there is hope for all of us.
I would still love to know more about:

What factors go into determining a good fit
How the golfer's size vs. swing characteristics are balanced and considered in determining the right fit
All of the specific characteristics of a club or set that might be customized and why
If swing characteristics are strongly considered in determining the right fit, does the golfer need to be refitted in a couple of years or so?

p.s., Does anyone else think Fumar has two dogs and a butterfly garden and gets new top-of-the-line custom-fitted clubs every other year?

graciegirl
04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Jhooman,
Thanks for sharing your story. I loved reading how you went from a duffer to Club Champion. :BigApplause:Almost makes me feel there is hope for all of us.

How the golfer's size vs. swing characteristics are balanced and considered in determining the right fit
All of the specific characteristics of a club or set that might be customized and why
If swing characteristics are strongly considered in determining the right fit, does the golfer need to be refitted in a couple of years or so?

p.s., Does anyone else think Fumar has two dogs and a butterfly garden and gets new top-of-the-line custom-fitted clubs every other year?

Yes. I think that The Great Fumar is the Great Faker.

Mikeod
04-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Jhooman,

OK, I'll give it a shot. A fitting is done to optimize the club characteristics for the particular golfer. Length, lie, overall weight, shaft flex and material, set make-up, and more are considered. Yes, a shorter shaft may mean a loss of clubhead speed. But, I remember a teaching pro at a clinic asking attendees what determines how far a ball will go. They answered clubhead speed. So, the pro took a driver, opened the clubface until it was pointed skyward and took a mighty swing. The ball went nowhere. Then he held the driver normally, took a leisurely swing and hit the crud out of the ball. The point is that clubhead speed delivered with a square club face moving in the proper path will deliver the best shot with each club. So, if a shorter shaft allows a player to hit the center of the clubface more frequently and deliver the clubhead to the ball square to the intended line of flight, that is the best length for that player. Another example. I was working at the old Tournament of Champions at La Costa one year after Ben Crenshaw won the Masters. He and Jack Nicklaus were on the practice tee and one of those watching heard Jack say he could hit the ball farther with Crenshaw's driver. So he asked why Jack didn't use one like Crenshaw. Jack then took Crenshaws driver and hit three balls with it. All of them took off like a jet and headed over the net at the end of the range. But before they got there, they all turned dead left. Jack said that is why he doesn't use one like Crenshaw. To further make the point. He then took his driver and three balls. He told us the balls would start out about 10 yards left of his caddie, Angelo, and fade over to him. Angelo caught all three on one bounce without moving his feet. Jack then took three more and started these out about ten yards right of Angelo and he caught all three without moving a step. The point is, with his driver and the specs set up just for him, Jack knows where the ball is going. With Crenshaw's driver, he doesn't. BTW, Jack was also known for using a driver about 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than standard. Didn't hurt his length much did it?

I would not advocate using an upright lie to "cure" a slice. All that does is encourage the heel to dig in and turn the face closed. Better to learn to swing properly, or, if desired, consider a large offset to help square the face. The proper lie will encourage the proper ball flight for each club. Lie is affected by club length and the person's hand to ground distance when taking a normal stance. There are short people with short arms and short people with long arms. They will likely need different length clubs.

The proper flex and overall weight will allow the player to optimize clubhead speed at impact, where it really matters.

Loft determines ball flight. Ball flight determines distance. These are generalizations as loft can be altered by stance and swing. Ball flight and distance are also affected by the ball type used. Some balls spin more than others, some fly higher than others, and some roll more than others. Loft is also affected by club design. Some clubs emphasize weight near the sole/bottom of the club, others at the center of mass of the clubhead. A club with more sole weight may launch the ball higher than one with more weight in the center of the face.

An advanced player may want clubs that let him/her "work" the ball left to right or right to left at will. A newer player may want a club that forgives off center hits more than one that works the ball.

A good clubfitter will listen to a player's needs and desires, ask about physical limitations, watch them hit some balls, then try out different clubs with different characteristics to try to determine the optimum set for that individual.

If an individual is going to take up the game seriously, meaning lessons, frequent practice, and playing, then they will likely need a new fitting as their game progresses. But the clubs will still be useful. A recreational, social, golfer who is less interested in lessons, practice, etc., may not need a subsequent fitting.

Wow, that got long. Hope it's not clear as mud now.

Pturner
04-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Mikeod,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Those were thorough, understandable and fabulous explanations. I am ready to replace my almost 20-year-old irons, which is why I asked. Fitting seems like a good way to go.

BTW, I hope it was pun intended when you said, "I'll take a shot at it".

:BigApplause:

graciegirl
04-08-2011, 04:16 PM
OK, I'll give it a shot. A fitting is done to optimize the club characteristics for the particular golfer. Length, lie, overall weight, shaft flex and material, set make-up, and more are considered. Yes, a shorter shaft may mean a loss of clubhead speed. But, I remember a teaching pro at a clinic asking attendees what determines how far a ball will go. They answered clubhead speed. So, the pro took a driver, opened the clubface until it was pointed skyward and took a mighty swing. The ball went nowhere. Then he held the driver normally, took a leisurely swing and hit the crud out of the ball. The point is that clubhead speed delivered with a square club face moving in the proper path will deliver the best shot with each club. So, if a shorter shaft allows a player to hit the center of the clubface more frequently and deliver the clubhead to the ball square to the intended line of flight, that is the best length for that player. Another example. I was working at the old Tournament of Champions at La Costa one year after Ben Crenshaw won the Masters. He and Jack Nicklaus were on the practice tee and one of those watching heard Jack say he could hit the ball farther with Crenshaw's driver. So he asked why Jack didn't use one like Crenshaw. Jack then took Crenshaws driver and hit three balls with it. All of them took off like a jet and headed over the net at the end of the range. But before they got there, they all turned dead left. Jack said that is why he doesn't use one like Crenshaw. To further make the point. He then took his driver and three balls. He told us the balls would start out about 10 yards left of his caddie, Angelo, and fade over to him. Angelo caught all three on one bounce without moving his feet. Jack then took three more and started these out about ten yards right of Angelo and he caught all three without moving a step. The point is, with his driver and the specs set up just for him, Jack knows where the ball is going. With Crenshaw's driver, he doesn't. BTW, Jack was also known for using a driver about 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than standard. Didn't hurt his length much did it?

I would not advocate using an upright lie to "cure" a slice. All that does is encourage the heel to dig in and turn the face closed. Better to learn to swing properly, or, if desired, consider a large offset to help square the face. The proper lie will encourage the proper ball flight for each club. Lie is affected by club length and the person's hand to ground distance when taking a normal stance. There are short people with short arms and short people with long arms. They will likely need different length clubs.

The proper flex and overall weight will allow the player to optimize clubhead speed at impact, where it really matters.

Loft determines ball flight. Ball flight determines distance. These are generalizations as loft can be altered by stance and swing. Ball flight and distance are also affected by the ball type used. Some balls spin more than others, some fly higher than others, and some roll more than others. Loft is also affected by club design. Some clubs emphasize weight near the sole/bottom of the club, others at the center of mass of the clubhead. A club with more sole weight may launch the ball higher than one with more weight in the center of the face.

An advanced player may want clubs that let him/her "work" the ball left to right or right to left at will. A newer player may want a club that forgives off center hits more than one that works the ball.

A good clubfitter will listen to a player's needs and desires, ask about physical limitations, watch them hit some balls, then try out different clubs with different characteristics to try to determine the optimum set for that individual.

If an individual is going to take up the game seriously, meaning lessons, frequent practice, and playing, then they will likely need a new fitting as their game progresses. But the clubs will still be useful. A recreational, social, golfer who is less interested in lessons, practice, etc., may not need a subsequent fitting.

Wow, that got long. Hope it's not clear as mud now.

I am printing this. We certainly have expert help here on this forum. Thank you Mike!

Jhooman
04-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Mike

That was amazing, thank you so much.

glgene
04-09-2011, 08:46 AM
On a trip to Hawaii 2 years ago, Kathy and I played golf on two courses:

Course #1 -- Top notch, relatively expensive, we rented quality clubs. I shot so-so.

Course #2 -- Not top notch, lower greens fees, we rented banged-up, so-so clubs (the only ones available). I shot better!

So...the question is...what makes for a better golfer? Being a better Indian (player), or having better arrows (clubs)? In the end, I think the former.

But better arrows are nice, too <g>.

Gene

LittleDog
04-09-2011, 10:14 AM
On a trip to Hawaii 2 years ago, Kathy and I played golf on two courses:

Course #1 -- Top notch, relatively expensive, we rented quality clubs. I shot so-so.

Course #2 -- Not top notch, lower greens fees, we rented banged-up, so-so clubs (the only ones available). I shot better!

So...the question is...what makes for a better golfer? Being a better Indian (player), or having better arrows (clubs)? In the end, I think the former.

But better arrows are nice, too <g>.

Gene

You never know which golfer will show up on any particular day!!!!

John

katezbox
04-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Mike

That was amazing, thank you so much.

:BigApplause::BigApplause::BigApplause:

Russ_Boston
04-09-2011, 12:09 PM

Great info but this last part is priceless.

ricthemic
04-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Great info but this last part is priceless.
absolutely right boston

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30452&highlight=ricthemic+golf

jonsey
07-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Most of the answers are right on, get lessons then get fitted when your swing gets better. I am a club maker and I would recommend going for lessons and then get fit for clubs. Loft, lie, shaft flex, length and grip size all make a difference in the swing. So start with lessons.