PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Question

JenAjd
04-13-2011, 06:51 AM
We are still considering purchasing a Kindle and have a few questions yet.

1. Is it better to purchase locally from a source like Target or better from Amazon and why?

2. The $139.00 model can only download the books from home and if you get the $189.00 model you may download them from anywhere??

3. Can library books be downloaded?

We've seen the pro's and con's of this technology (also Kindle vs. Nook)
My question would be "if" we reversed our decision and decided on the Nook...what of the possibility of B&N going out of business (heaven forbid) like we've seen with so many? Just some thoughts here!

Anxiously awaiting comments as today or tomorrow could be the day to make the purchase!!!

l2ridehd
04-13-2011, 07:16 AM
I have had the kindle for a few years now. The $139 version. Being able to download from only a wifi location is not an issue as you can download several books at one time. When I turn on the wireless connection and download, I usually add 5 to 10 books. Then I turn wireless off as battery life goes way up. I go for weeks between charging if I leave wireless off. We went on a vacation to BVI this February and I read a lot, and I didn't even bother to take the charger with me.

As to where to buy? I got mine from Amazon but not sure it really matters. My wife also has a kindle and we each have an Ipad so all 4 are registered on a single account and have access to all the purchased books.

And if the library has e-books, yes you can download them. However with so many free books and the low cost of new books on Amazon with the ability to share, have not yet needed to use the library.

As to B&N viability long term? Hardcover books will never go away, but the demand will sure be less. So kindle vs nook, not sure it matters a lot other then whats available. Tough to beat the selection and pricing at Amazon though. So far I have never found a book I wanted not available. I am sure I will, but not yet and I read a lot.

KayakerNC
04-13-2011, 07:52 AM
1. Is it better to purchase locally from a source like Target or better from Amazon and why?
I'd say Amazon, mainly because it is cheaper (no sales tax). You still get Amazon's Kindle Customer Service (the best) no matter where you purchase the Kindle.

2. The $139.00 model can only download the books from home and if you get the $189.00 model you may download them from anywhere??
With the $139 model (Wi-fi only) books can be downloaded from ANY wi-fi hot spot. The $189 model (Wi-fi and 3G) uses the AT&T 3G network when wi-fi is not available.

3. Can library books be downloaded?
Most libraries are using PDF and epub books that are DRM protected. So...no, not readable on a Kindle. But then again, not all libraries have ebooks to loan (mine doesn't) so it isn't really a deal breaker.

Anxiously awaiting comments as today or tomorrow could be the day to make the purchase!!!

:read:I would suggest you take a look at the $114 Kindle 3 at the Amazon Kindle page. Wi-Fi only, but a GREAT price.

Avista
04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
We are still considering purchasing a Kindle and have a few questions yet.

1. Is it better to purchase locally from a source like Target or better from Amazon and why? If you purchase a Nook from Barnes and Noble locally they are there to answer any questions and have classes in the store

2. The $139.00 model can only download the books from home and if you get the $189.00 model you may download them from anywhere?? With both Nook and Kindle with the wifi model you can download wherever there is wifi. With the more expensive versions you can download wherever you are in range of 3G.

3. Can library books be downloaded? As far as the Nook goes, personally I got a library card from the Philaelphia Free Library and have borrowed quite a few books from there. You really don't need a library nearby. Sometimes there is a wait list, but they contact me by email when my book is ready to download.

We've seen the pro's and con's of this technology (also Kindle vs. Nook)
My question would be "if" we reversed our decision and decided on the Nook...what of the possibility of B&N going out of business (heaven forbid) like we've seen with so many? Just some thoughts here! I doubt whether the Barnes and Noble ebooks would go out of business even if they sold their store--which I think they are just closing some. With the Nook you can buy your books anywhere. I usually do price compare.

That being said, I broke my Nook (car rolled over it). Still have my husbands to use and currently I am using my iPad which I love. Here is a good deal on the Nook just for today.
http://www.woot.com/

PR1234
04-13-2011, 11:26 AM
"1. Is it better to purchase locally from a source like Target or better from Amazon and why?"

JENAJD, Thanks for posting this question .....I have been trying to decide on where to buy a Kindle for months! Would LOVE for someone to give some words of wisdom:clap2:

14thMed
04-13-2011, 11:56 AM
There is an article in PC World that many people think kindles will be FREE by November. Don't know how to post the link,but you can google it. I found it easily.

natickdan
04-13-2011, 05:49 PM
My wife and I each own a Kindle which we purchased both from Amazon and we absolutely love them! Mine is a 3G and my wife's is wi-fi version. Which one you'll need is a personal decision and I suggest that you put some thought in to your decision. If you don't travel often or are usually near a wi-fi connection, I suggest saving some money and purchase a wi-fi Kindle.

I'm a very big fan of Amazon because of their prices, customer service, return policy, free shipping and you are not charged a state sales tax.

On a closing note, a number of devices like smartphones, laptops and tablets offer e-reading capability and, IMHO, although some do it better than others, none provide the clarity of the Kindle because of their ink technology.

Good luck and happy reading!

ladydoc
04-13-2011, 06:00 PM
I saw this morning on Amazon that the $139 model is available for $114. The catch is that there will be ads on it when you power it up and maybe at other times. I would not mind an ad at that price. I just read in Woman's Day, (I think...I read so many magazines sometimes I can not keep them straight) that Kindle was the #1 choice in ebooks. Hubby and I bought have one. I have the small one..he has the large one and we both love them. I just read the last of the Earth's Children books (Clan of the Cave Bear series) in hard cover and I kept complaining how heavy it was. LOL, Lord, we get spoiled. By the way, it is a terrible book and a very sad way to end a wonderful reading experience. Just get your Kindle quick and have fun with it and don't forget that it reads to you if the book is so enabled.

JenAjd
04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
I saw this morning on Amazon that the $139 model is available for $114. The catch is that there will be ads on it when you power it up and maybe at other times. I would not mind an ad at that price. I just read in Woman's Day, (I think...I read so many magazines sometimes I can not keep them straight) that Kindle was the #1 choice in ebooks. Hubby and I bought have one. I have the small one..he has the large one and we both love them. I just read the last of the Earth's Children books (Clan of the Cave Bear series) in hard cover and I kept complaining how heavy it was. LOL, Lord, we get spoiled. By the way, it is a terrible book and a very sad way to end a wonderful reading experience. Just get your Kindle quick and have fun with it and don't forget that it reads to you if the book is so enabled.

I saw that when I went to Amazon's site. I don't know, I wonder if the ads would keep popping up and be aggravating. The price sounds tantalizing but I'm still wondering. Maybe I should just go and pull the trigger and get the thing.

ladydoc
04-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Definitely pull the trigger. You won't regret it for a second. Its like a miracle to get a book out of the air in less then a minute. Book prices are weird though..some are significantly less, some are about the same. All in all though, I much prefer the Kindle. Just think of all the space you will save when your books are all on a little tablet. I have a generation 2 that holds 1500 books. The new ones hold 3500. They are getting so inexpensive now that if I should run out of room, I will get a new one. I delete a lot of them when I am done reading them, but you can always reload them again from your manage your kindle site. Go for it...the only regret you will have is not buying it sooner.

JenAjd
04-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Definitely pull the trigger. You won't regret it for a second. Its like a miracle to get a book out of the air in less then a minute. Book prices are weird though..some are significantly less, some are about the same. All in all though, I much prefer the Kindle. Just think of all the space you will save when your books are all on a little tablet. I have a generation 2 that holds 1500 books. The new ones hold 3500. They are getting so inexpensive now that if I should run out of room, I will get a new one. I delete a lot of them when I am done reading them, but you can always reload them again from your manage your kindle site. Go for it...the only regret you will have is not buying it sooner.

Pulled the trigger last night and will be good to go very soon! Cannot wait as it will also be great for traveling (no hauling heavy books and mags in a tote) and as you say...saves on space in the house too!! Thanks everyone for your imput here! It was helpful!! :BigApplause:

KayakerNC
04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Pulled the trigger last night and will be good to go very soon! Cannot wait as it will also be great for traveling (no hauling heavy books and mags in a tote) and as you say...saves on space in the house too!! Thanks everyone for your imput here! It was helpful!! :BigApplause:

Which one did you finally settle on?
You realize that you now have choices to make on accessories such as covers, book lights, and maybe even a skin.
It's an adventure.:clap2:

Pturner
04-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi Jen,
Tell us what you bought and how you like it. Happy reading.

:beer3:

natickdan
04-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Enjoy your new toy and happy reading!

JenAjd
04-14-2011, 08:57 PM
We got the $189.00 one. It'll be an exciting day when either the delivery is made!!! I'll let you know once it's here and how it's going with the ownership!

Pturner
04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
We got the $189.00 one. It'll be an exciting day when either the delivery is made!!! I'll let you know once it's here and how it's going with the ownership!

I replaced my original Kindle earlier this year with the Kindle3 and sprang for the 3G too, as I was accustomed to it. Sometimes I'll be talking to someone who mentions a great book I would love and I download it then and there.

I didn't see this thread before you ordered to recommend whether to order at Amazon or buy locally. I ordered from Amazon too. In addition to no sales tax (or shipping) a big advantage is that it comes already set up with a Kindle account. You can start using it right out of the box.

Can't wait to hear how much you love it. :thumbup:

PR1234
04-14-2011, 10:00 PM
You all are great sales people! The Easter Bunny just ordered mine from Amazon:MOJE_whot::MOJE_whot::MOJE_whot:

JenAjd
04-15-2011, 07:33 AM
You all are great sales people! The Easter Bunny just ordered mine from Amazon:MOJE_whot::MOJE_whot::MOJE_whot:

Isn't it great to have this forum to gain information and encourage one another!!! LOVE to hear that our "good salesmanship" has helped even one more person!!! :MOJE_whot: :MOJE_whot: :MOJE_whot: :MOJE_whot:

Oh...and it's also great to hear I'll already be set up with a Kindle Account as well! BONUS!!!!!! :mademyday:

PR1234
04-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Isn't it great to have this forum to gain information and encourage one another!!! LOVE to hear that our "good salesmanship" has helped even one more person!!! :MOJE_whot: :MOJE_whot: :MOJE_whot: :MOJE_whot:

Oh...and it's also great to hear I'll already be set up with a Kindle Account as well! BONUS!!!!!! :mademyday:

YES it is....LOL:clap2: JenAjd....just in case we can't figure the Kindle out when we get them, Sat. the 23rd there is a two hr class at the Learning College.....I may see you there:read::read::read:

StarbuckSammy
04-15-2011, 09:31 AM
I enjoy my Kindle. The $139 version is WIFI...you can download books from the computer or WIFI...you can not download newspapers from your computer...only WIFI. Secondly this unit has about 1 month of battery power...the other expensive one about 10 days. No matter which one you pick, you'll love the Kindle.
To my knowledge it is the only ereader that you can read outside...which is nice to do at TV.

villages07
04-15-2011, 09:36 AM
The original monochrome Nook is great for reading outside. I have an iPad and prefer it for indoor ereading but the screen glare made it uncomfortable for outdoor reading. I understand the color Nook might have some glare issues in outdoor use.

I bought a $99 refurbished wifi monochrome Nook and happily use it at the pool and other outdoor settings. I also did the $15 Philadelphia free library subscription (thank you Avista for the lead!!!) and between that and the free Friday books from B&N, always have plenty of reading material stacked up.

I have grown to prefer ereading to conventional books...much more comfortable to hold and easier on the eyes.:read:

Taj44
04-15-2011, 05:46 PM
The original monochrome Nook is great for reading outside. I have an iPad and prefer it for indoor ereading but the screen glare made it uncomfortable for outdoor reading. I understand the color Nook might have some glare issues in outdoor use.

I bought a $99 refurbished wifi monochrome Nook and happily use it at the pool and other outdoor settings. I also did the $15 Philadelphia free library subscription (thank you Avista for the lead!!!) and between that and the free Friday books from B&N, always have plenty of reading material stacked up.

I have grown to prefer ereading to conventional books...much more comfortable to hold and easier on the eyes.:read:

Same for me. I ended up buying the Nook instead of the Kindle because it supports library books, and I too joined the Philadelphia free library. I considered the iPad but was afraid the glare screen would bother my eyes after awhile, plus it appears it needs to be re-charged more frequently. I've been very happy with my Nook, and have even used the wifi feature on occasion to check my email.

Pturner
04-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Hubby bought a iPad2. It's great for checking email and for viewing photos and video. It's fine for reading short online articles. However, if I'm just reading continuously, I do get eye strain on it after 10 minutes or so. It would not be comfortable for me to sit for long periods and read a book on it.

To me, the e-ink used by e-readers is easier on the eyes that traditional print on paper. The Kindle3's e-ink and screen are exceptional!

But, paper printing is definitely easier on the eyes that reading "traditional" pixels on a backlit screen. The iPad may be a good replacement for a laptop or netbooks. It is not a good substitute for a Kindle.

barb1191
04-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Little has been mentioned about the Amazon Kindle account where one can order a book NO CHARGE with the first three chapters to read and if you find it interesting, then you can buy it and they send you the complete book. If you choose not to buy it, you are not billed for it. I think that's a great feature on the Kindle and I've used it a number of times.

Luv my Kindle...

JenAjd
04-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Little has been mentioned about the Amazon Kindle account where one can order a book NO CHARGE with the first three chapters to read and if you find it interesting, then you can buy it and they send you the complete book. If you choose not to buy it, you are not billed for it. I think that's a great feature on the Kindle and I've used it a number of times.

Luv my Kindle...

Plus aren't there also free books to have as well? I thought I'd heard that! I can't wait to explore my options!!! :read:

ladydoc
04-15-2011, 10:00 PM
There are thousands and thousands of free books. Almost all the classics available free for the kindle from Amazon.

barb1191
04-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Plus aren't there also free books to have as well? I thought I'd heard that! I can't wait to explore my options!!! :read:

Yes, with Amazon there are many free books and lots of them are classics and historic genre...... as well as some for .99 cents.

The best part is the convenience of ordering a book and in minutes you can be reading that very book!

Luv my Kindle and you will too.

BBQMan
04-16-2011, 01:56 AM
I use both Kindle and iPad and would not give up either. Kindle is a reader and a very good one. The Amazon library stays with you forever and can be used by six different people on one account. Thee of my kids and I have read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and I have had to pay for it only once.

One of the critical questions is where you wish to purchase your books. Apple's ibooks can be read on Apple Products only. Both Nook and Kindle books can be read on virtually any computer, tablet, smart phone or eReader. For this reason, I believe it is smarter to purchase all your books from either Amazon or Barnes & Noble. I favor Amazon because of B&N's financial woes.

Golf-Tinker
04-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Bought a Kindle DX last fall for my SO. She enjoys reading, word games and mahjong. I received my Ipad 2 last week and thoroughly enjoy reading as well as all the other apps I use. I may add the Kindle app to try it. But I have no problem reading for long periods of time.

K9-Lovers
04-16-2011, 11:21 AM
I have a Nook. When I download a book, I always download it to my computer first, rather than straight to the Nook. That way, I can use it on other reading devices if need be.

The nook can download free books from libraries, from google books, and also has an option that allows you to "loan" the ebook when you have finished reading it.

Love my Nook!

logdog
04-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Luv my Kindle...

The Nook also lets you order free samples. Plus you can read any book for free in their stores for an hour at a time and they offer Friday freebies (free e-books). I tried out the Nook Color and found that it's hard on the eyes for prolong reading. The regular Nook is great.

The Lake County library system will be offering e-books in June. They're hoping to get a lending agreement with Sumter. If that happens, we'll be able to check out e-books for free on the Nook.