PDA

View Full Version : Water for Elephants

uujudy
05-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Is it just me, or was anyone else unimpressed with Water for Elephants?
I was so excited to finally get it from the library, but I had trouble relating to the main characters, except the old man and the nurse. Sure, there were characters I positively hated, but I didn't really like the people I was supposed to like. I did enjoy all the historic circus information, but I have to admit that I skipped over the parts about Rosie -- you know which parts.

What do you think? Was the character development inadequate, or were my hopes too high? Maybe I skipped too many parts? :read:

Some friends have said the movie is much, much better than the book.

Ohiogirl
05-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I got it at the library over a year ago - read about 1/3 of it and became disinterested. A book club I joined had already chosen it as one of the monthly selections, so I tried again and stuck with it. Was glad I did as I then got a lot out of it, especially with the book club discussion.

One of the reasons I like a book club - takes you out of your comfort zone and the usual type of book I read on my own.

diskman
05-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Is it just me, or was anyone else unimpressed with Water for Elephants?
I was so excited to finally get it from the library, but I had trouble relating to the main characters, except the old man and the nurse. Sure, there were characters I positively hated, but I didn't really like the people I was supposed to like. I did enjoy all the historic circus information, but I have to admit that I skipped over the parts about Rosie -- you know which parts.

What do you think? Was the character development inadequate, or were my hopes too high? Maybe I skipped too many parts? :read:

Some friends have said the movie is much, much better than the book.

We can only say we saw the movie last Sunday and it was a great story!!:BigApplause::BigApplause::BigApplause:

uujudy
05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the info!
Maybe I should see the movie... or join a book group.

dfn8tly
05-17-2011, 02:13 PM
I read it and enjoyed it very much. However, it was NOT what I anticipated. Perhaps your expectations were different than the reality.

If it just wasn't for you - - - don't worry about it. There are many good reads in that big library in the sky.

Always happy to hear reactions from other serious readers.

uujudy
05-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Perhaps your expectations were different than the reality.

Hahaha! If I had a nickel for every time somebody said that to me...

Boomer
05-17-2011, 05:31 PM
I have not read the book. When I heard the title, I looked no further because the title made me feel like I wanted to cry.

I do not know if the book is a tearjerker or not, but all I could think of was how it was probably about some poor elephants......needing some water...... and having to live in captivity.......and do tricks........and having to depend on people to take care of them.......and what if the people were not nice people??? -- and on and on and on and on went that darned narrator in my head, again.

And so I did not even look at the book. Maybe they were nice to the elephants. Maybe the elephants were happy as could be. But I just couldn't look....

You see, I have never fully recovered from Dumbo. Makes me tear up just thinking about it. Still not over Dumbo.....all those many years ago.

Sniffling Boomer, with the long, long memory

Ohiogirl
05-17-2011, 05:57 PM
I have not read the book. When I heard the title, I looked no further because the title made me feel like I wanted to cry.

I do not know if the book is a tearjerker or not, but all I could think of was how it was probably about some poor elephants......needing some water...... and having to live in captivity.......and do tricks........and having to depend on people to take care of them.......and what if the people were not nice people??? -- and on and on and on and on went that darned narrator in my head, again.

And so I did not even look at the book. Maybe they were nice to the elephants. Maybe the elephants were happy as could be. But I just couldn't look....

You see, I have never fully recovered from Dumbo. Makes me tear up just thinking about it. Still not over Dumbo.....all those many years ago.

How are you with Bambi? Years ago (my kids are 32 and 35), my girls loved to listen to the Bambi LP when they were going to sleep - made them cry every time if they stayed awake long enough. Don't give me any grief - it was their idea . . .

Whalen
05-17-2011, 06:19 PM

How are you with Bambi? Years ago (my kids are 32 and 35), my girls loved to listen to the Bambi LP when they were going to sleep - made them cry every time if they stayed awake long enough. Don't give me any grief - it was their idea . . .

I can still see Dumbo's mother rocking him with her trunk while she's in the cage.....oh where are my tissues....let's not even talk about the forest fire in Bambi.
:cry:

uujudy
05-17-2011, 06:59 PM
When the book first came out I felt the same as you, Boomer. It would surely be a sad, sad story, and I didn't want to read it. I asked around.... "What's it like?" I asked. "Is it about mistreated elephants?" Almost everybody answered, "Not really..."

But Boomer, OhioGirl & Whalen -- you should know that there are parts in the book that shouldn't be there. There are parts that I skipped. Pages, in some instances.

My excuse is that I was caught up in the last-minute frenzy at the library. The Belvedere Library in The Villages was closing for almost a MONTH for redecorating. A MONTH! I was in the library on the last day it was open, and there, sitting at eye level on the "New Books" shelf, was Water for Elephants. My hand reached out and grabbed the book before I knew what was happening. It was all a blur. I added it to my pile of watercolor books and James Patterson Murder Club books.

So now I'm tearing up and feeling all guilty and thinking of Dumbo, Bambi, and (sob) Old Yeller. :cryin2:

Canukistan
05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
OK, we need to change books to the one listed above.

I hope you can get it here in the USA. I got my copy in South Africa. A wonderful story about real elephants in their wild habitat and a humans interaction with them.

Has anyone read it?

uujudy
05-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Canukistan, thanks for the tip, but I checked Amazon.com, and they have the book, but I read the first 2 paragraphs about the poachers and decided it's not for me. Your book is about REAL elephants! Heck, we get all teary-eyed over fictional elephants... :(

K9-Lovers
05-18-2011, 07:34 PM
So now I'm tearing up and feeling all guilty and thinking of Dumbo, Bambi, and (sob) Old Yeller. :cryin2:

Don't forget Lady and the Tramp, when Tramp is in the cart which is carrying him off to the dog pound, and there is a crash, and he escapes but with a broken leg . . . :cryin2:(K9 Lovers as a child still loved those canines)