PDA

View Full Version : Cable TV and Internet

jadlos
05-25-2011, 07:28 AM
I don't quite know where to post this so I apologize if this is wrongly located.

I need some advice on what I need to do to get my 3 computers and 5 TVs connected to Comcast cable. Preliminary conversations with Clear Link have me confused so I'm hoping someone on TOTV who has been through this process can help.

We have 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop running Windows 7 and I have a 2.4 GHz Linksys Router. We also have 5 (yes I know . . . . too many!) HD TVs. One question I have is: do I have the equipment I need or is there something else I need to purchase . . . or will Clear Link/Comcast provide what is needed?

Clear Link told me that I have to have an electrician relocate the cable connections that are not currently located where I need them. Is this true or will the Comcast people do this?

Lastly, can anyone give me an idea of what the monthly cost might be for high speed internet and cable TV on 5 sets (we want to be able to watch different channels on each TV). I live in North Carolina now and pay about $180 per month for these services . . . . and DVR on 2 sets. Will my costs be around the same or higher in TV.

Greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks.

scrapple
05-25-2011, 07:43 AM
I
I need some advice on what I need to do to get my 3 computers and 5 TVs connected to Comcast cable. Preliminary conversations with Clear Link have me confused so I'm hoping someone on TOTV who has been through this process can help.
We have 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop running Windows 7 and I have a 2.4 GHz Linksys Router. We also have 5 (yes I know . . . . too many!) HD TVs. One question I have is: do I have the equipment I need or is there something else I need to purchase . . . or will Clear Link/Comcast provide what is needed?
Clear Link told me that I have to have an electrician relocate the cable connections that are not currently located where I need them. Is this true or will the Comcast people do this?
Lastly, can anyone give me an idea of what the monthly cost might be for high speed internet and cable TV on 5 sets (we want to be able to watch different channels on each TV). I live in North Carolina now and pay about $180 per month for these services . . . . and DVR on 2 sets. Will my costs be around the same or higher in TV.
Greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks.

You mention the Linksys router, so that means you have Wireless available. You didn't mention how many of the computers have wireless network capability. Almost certainly the laptop will, the desktops may have that ability. Whatever does not have wireless capability, it needs to be near a jack in the wall so you can connect with a cable. The machines that accept wireless can go anywhere you want.
The same goes for the TV's, they need to be near a jack in the wall. If the jacks are not close to where you want them, you will need somebody to make them. A handyman could do so, but it would be more appropriate for an electrician.

getdul981
05-25-2011, 07:52 AM
You can get all that and phone (w/free long distance) also for around the price you are already paying. We have 2 TV's w/HD converters. All other TVs will not be in HD without the box, but that's not a problem for us.

skyguy79
05-25-2011, 09:22 AM
You mention the Linksys router, so that means you have Wireless available. You didn't mention how many of the computers have wireless network capability. Almost certainly the laptop will, the desktops may have that ability. Whatever does not have wireless capability, it needs to be near a jack in the wall so you can connect with a cable. The machines that accept wireless can go anywhere you want.
I believe that you cannot just wire a computer directly to any wall jack. It has to be the jack that is connected to the modem provided by Comcast. The modem lies between the wall jack and the router and the computer without a wireless network adaptor card needs to be connected to that router using an ethernet cable.