PDA

View Full Version : Higher grades of fuel for gas golf carts

pjwpa2
06-05-2011, 05:19 PM
At the time of our recent purchase of a gas golf cart we were told that Yamaha recommends use of mid-grade or premium gas together with the Sta-Bil Marine Formula Ethanol Treatment.

Do other gas cart users out there use the higher grades of gasoline in their carts?:wave:

Bill-n-Brillo
06-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Our Yamaha owner's manual simply states "Unleaded Fuel" is the recommendation. However, like in your case, Carts and Clubs (perhaps the same dealer where you got your cart) suggested using higher octane fuel for several reasons: first, to lower the 'stink' factor that is produced by the engine, and second, octane levels drop over time as fuel sits. Starting out with a higher octane fuel will net you more octane down the road versus starting with regular unleaded. To me, that part would be a non-issue if you use your cart on a regular basis - would only make sense for carts that sit unused for longer periods of time.

Also, the dealer recommended the Marine Formula/Ethanol version of Sta-Bil over the conventional Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer. Here's what the manufacturer says about their product - draw your own conclusions:

http://www.goldeagle.com/assets/news/New_MARINE_STA-BIL_Every_Boater%27s_Dream_%282%29.pdf

I've always used the conventional Sta-Bil in the fuel tanks of stored vehicles, etc. with no fuel related issues for years - but that's in OH. Maybe the issue being addressed by using the Marine Formula in carts in TV is based a lot on how humid it generally is in FL.

Personally, I feel the cart dealer knows a WHOLE lot more about golf carts than I ever will. So when they're recommending something - and not trying to sell me that same 'something' in the process - I'll listen and heed their advice accordingly.

Bill :)

golf2140
06-05-2011, 08:31 PM
We have two gas carts. One is a 2001 and the other is a 2004. I have used unleaded regular gas in both without any issues.

Niels
06-05-2011, 11:17 PM
When I purchased my new Yamaha gas cart from The Villages Golf Cart Store last year they stated I should add the Sta-Bil Marine Formula Ethanol Treatment to each tank of gas. The fact sheet they gave me states that the Sta-Bil is formulated to condition your gas, clean the inside of your motor and coat the engine parts so that the ethanol in the fuel does not adhere to the metal and start to clog or gum up you equipment.

On the subject of fuel, they told me that they recommended using a mid-grade or premium fuel. The fact sheet states that the vehicles run better on higher grades of fuel and both the higher fuel grades and the Sta-Bil Marine Formula tend to reduce odors.

I always use premium grade fuel in my cart along with adding the Sta-Bil.

l2ridehd
06-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Where is the best place to buy Sta-Bil?

TommyT
06-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Where is the best place to buy Sta-Bil?

Walmart

Indy-Guy
06-06-2011, 07:08 AM
The Marine Formula STA-BIL is blue in color. The recommendation is a half ounce per golf cart tank full.

pjwpa2
06-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks for all the responses. You can buy the Sta-Bill in Burrys Hardware store as well. We were told that this is necessary because of the ethanol that is now present in gas everywhere as it helps protect the engine.:wave:

bluedog103
06-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Higher octane gasoline is not better gas, it is gas with an additive to prevent pre-ignition in a high compression rated engine.
Here's how it works, in an extremely condensed explanation.
When your piston is travelling up it builds up compression in the cylinder. Under high compression, gasoline which has been squirted into the cylinder via the intake valves can detonate prior to the spark from the spark plug. This is pre-ignition, something you want to avoid. The increased octane actually reduces the explosiveness of the fuel to help prevent the fuel from igniting too soon.
I'm not sure about all carts but Yamaha rates it's golf cart engines at an 8:1 compression rating, hardly high compression.
That's all the increased octane does. It does not reduce odor, it does not increase milage, it does not decrease wear.
To pay for premium gas most vehicles is a waste of money. If you stick to known brands of gasoline you should have all the additives you need to help your engine run fine and dandy on regular unleaded.

Challenger
06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Higher octane gasoline is not better gas, it is gas with an additive to prevent pre-ignition in a high compression rated engine.
When your piston is travelling up it builds up compression in the cylinder. Under high compression, gasoline which has been squirted into the cylinder via the intake valves can detonate prior to the spark from the spark plug. This is pre-ignition, something you want to avoid. The increased octane actually reduces the explosiveness of the fuel to help prevent the fuel from igniting too soon.
I'm not sure about all carts but Yamaha rates it's golf cart engines at an 8:1 compression rating, hardly high compression.
That's all the increased octane does. It does not reduce odor, it does not increase milage, it does not decrease wear.
To pay for premium gas most vehicles is a waste of money. If you stick to known brands of gasoline you should have all the additives you need to help your engine run fine and dandy on regular unleaded.

Glad someone took this one on- I believe even the dealers give bad info on this subject- Higher octane is definitely a waste of money unless you have a very high compression engine. Gas additives are most often a waste also. Don't really know about Sta bil. Does anyone out there have facts(not anecdotes) about the value of Sta bil? Just the facts Maam

Shimpy
06-06-2011, 03:27 PM
That's all the increased octane does. It does not reduce odor, it does not increase mileage, it does not decrease wear.

Exactly right. Thanks for dispelling all the old wives tales. Most people think high octane equal more power. Actually a lower compression engine runs "better" on reg fuel as it burns quicker. The cart people can recommend anything they think is right, but the actual manufacture such as Yamaha who built the thing and their engineers who designed it have infinitely more knowledge than Joe or Bob at a golf cart store. Sta-bil marine is good if you plan to let your gas set for 4 weeks or more. I buy gas every other week, so I never use it.

cartwheel
06-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Exactly right. Thanks for dispelling all the old wives tales. Most people think high octane equal more power. Actually a lower compression engine runs "better" on reg fuel as it burns quicker. The cart people can recommend anything they think is right, but the actual manufacture such as Yamaha who built the thing and their engineers who designed it have infinitely more knowledge than Joe or Bob at a golf cart store. Sta-bil marine is good if you plan to let your gas set for 4 weeks or more. I buy gas every other week, so I never use it.

I had been using mid-grade fuel in my '08 ez-go until I read this thread. I filled the tank with regular last week and it runs better than it ever has on mid-grade, especially at low rpm's when pulling into the garage or parking spaces at the golf courses, etc. I'll stick with regular from now on and quit wasting my money on mid-grade.

Russ_Boston
06-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Carts and Clubs (perhaps the same dealer where you got your cart) suggested using higher octane fuel for several reasons:

That's odd. I directly asked Tim (or is it Tom) at Carts and Clubs three weeks ago and he said just regular gas with occasional sta-bil.

Pturner
06-17-2011, 05:38 PM
When we purchased our used Yamaha at Carts and Clubs, they did not say anything about using a higher octane fuel. We just use regular unleaded.

Bill-n-Brillo
06-17-2011, 05:43 PM
That's odd. I directly asked Tim (or isn't Tom) at Carts and Clubs three weeks ago and he said just regular gas with occasional sta-bil.

Russ, maybe they need to get their collective act together! Ha-ha! I think Tom is who you're probably referring to - he's their sales guy. The fellow who gave me the info was the guy (can't think of his name) who made the delivery when we got the cart from them - he also does all their mobile/field service work. He's Ted and Connie's son-in-law.

Bill :wave:

CarGuys
07-11-2011, 11:59 PM
This will open up a can of worms but I will start with this quote.

"Ignorance can be fixed with education. However stupidity takes great salesmanship." Many people are handed opinions and not facts.

So here goes.

The highest British Thermal "Unit of burn is regular.
The least is high octane.

Octane requirements are determined on the compression needs of a engine design. High compression = high octane, low compression = low octane.

So run what the owners manual recommends and that's that. Run the wrong octane and risk poor mileage, carbon build up and performance loss.

Now lets get into ethanol and phase seperation of fuel.

A product from Amsoil called Amsoil PI is wonderful and for storage and performance research K100 fuel treatment. I have hours of testing previous mentioned products. K100 and AMSOIL outperform.

Now we should not need to use adative for gas but in reality current gas and ethanol have created nightmares for carb equipped vehicles. www.lubedealer.com/carguys

As a 35 year Automotive instructor , Radio Talk show host and Clean Cities advisor when we move here next year there will not be a gas cart in our garage.

One gas engine Yamaha emits more raw Hydro Carbons( raw fuel ) and Carbon Monoxide ( partly burnt fuels) in a tunnel or your garage than 75 emission controlled fuel injected vehicles running at 65 for hours. My lawn mower left running in a closed garage could kill me in a hour. Our 2011 GM or Toyota as most other vehicles would emitt cleaner air than inhaled in the intake.

Now if we get fuel injection and a cat muffler system on a Gas Cart I would buy it. Why don't we have this technology? Cost! People like to save money as they gasp for breath.

Geee is it the grass and pollen that makes us wheeze or the ground level lung searing Ozone from lawn mowers and Gas Cart exhaust? And no I'm not some tree hugger just like to breath fresh air.

Electric carts with regenerative braking will soon take over the hearts of many. Price and performance will come down.

Just some thoughts no disrespect to current gas cart owners or sales. One year to go and we will be here with all you great Villagers! Can't wait.

Tom Hannon
07-12-2011, 05:08 AM
I disagree with Challenger 200%. Go with the high test and use the Sta-bil in every fill up. If you take care of your cart, it will take care of you.

Jim Straz
07-12-2011, 06:50 AM
I will bet anybody on this site one dollar $1 that gas carts will be banned within the next five years at TV. With the new battery sets, eight six volt, the range is unbeatable. Read and trust your instincts, and ignore the fact that old people hate change and anything new and better. http://www.ajc.com/news/fayette/the-peachtree-city-golf-584699.html

Dynasty
07-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Hey Jim,

Put me down for $2.00 as I have 2 gas carts.

CarGuys
07-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Appreciate those with a open mind to change.

For those who want some fun videos watch this . Just go to his site and select those your want. Or google plasmaboyracing

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

I teach vocational education. There is nothing faster off the line or with more pure torque than a electric cart.

These videos are how I get my 11 and 12th grade students to start thinking about alternative fuel options. Wow could we all get in trouble on the carts trail with a cart version of these! LOL

Regards all!

Shimpy
07-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I will bet anybody on this site one dollar $1 that gas carts will be banned within the next five years at TV. With the new battery sets, eight six volt, the range is unbeatable. Read and trust your instincts, and ignore the fact that old people hate change and anything new and better. http://www.ajc.com/news/fayette/the-peachtree-city-golf-584699.html

I'll take you up on that bet. By the way, I saw an ad to replace the "new" high tec batteries as bragged about in the Par Car ads. Only $1795 installed.
When they ban the gas carts they will have to also ban the lawn mowers that cut your grass not to mention the edgers and blowers. Add in the pressure washers etc.

Tom Hannon
07-23-2011, 07:26 AM

I don't think restrictions/ban on gas carts could happen that fast. How do you tell (estimated 30,000 gas cart owners) that their cart is worthless and can't be used in TV. They might be able to discontinue sales on new gas models but to force a majority of Village People to spend an additional 10 grand ain't happening. To be honest, in a perfect world, electric carts will be best but they are not practical because of milage restrictions. If anything, the future might be with solar carts which will not need recharging. But that option might not be feasible for another ten years.

getdul981
07-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I would love to have an electric cart, but with the growth of TV and unavailablity of charging stations, we felt that gas was the way to go at the time. Things may change and I hope they do. The quality and reliablity of batteries is changing. I also like the idea of the solar panels on the roof to help charge the batteries. We drive a Prius when not driving the cart, and I would love to see someone come out with a hybrid type of golf cart. That way you have the best of both worlds. I think if I had to buy an electric now, I would have to also purchase one of those small generators (like the vendors use on Market Nights) to use in case I ran out of juice.

Jim 9922
07-23-2011, 08:38 AM
I also like the idea of the solar panels on the roof to help charge the batteries. We drive a Prius when not driving the cart, and I would love to see someone come out with a hybrid type of golf cart. That way you have the best of both worlds. I think if I had to buy an electric now, I would have to also purchase one of those small generators (like the vendors use on Market Nights) to use in case I ran out of juice.

EZ Go announced a "150 mile" electric cart. It is a standard electric with a gas generator strapped on the back. No room for golf clubs or anything else.
As my pappy always says, "using a sledge hammer is a mighty fine way of driving in a screw.!!" :22yikes:
Web page reference is www.ezgo.com/Exceed.html

getdul981
07-23-2011, 09:26 AM
EZ Go announced a "150 mile" electric cart. It is a standard electric with a gas generator strapped on the back. No room for golf clubs or anything else.
As my pappy always says, "using a sledge hammer is a mighty fine way of driving in a screw.!!" :22yikes:
Web page reference is www.ezgo.com/Exceed.html

Cool!!! Now that's getting somewhere.