PDA

View Full Version : Whole house water filters

missypie
06-19-2011, 07:53 PM
I have heard about the benefits of a whole house water system. It sounds good. There are people that have paid from $2500.00 to $6000.00 for various water filtration systems. On line I have been researching systems that run from $600.00 plus the price of a repetuable plummer? Anyone with thoughts or comments?

Bill-n-Brillo
06-19-2011, 08:00 PM
missy -

Pricing (and results) will depend on exactly what it is that you're looking for: a whole house water filter, a water softener, an iron filter, a reverse osmosis system, or a combination of any/all of the above.

Bill :)

784caroline
06-19-2011, 08:25 PM
What is wrong with what I have or get out of the tap? If getting the whole house water filter is worth it to you go for it but I dont see or hear of anyone getting sick from what we use everyday. When I need a cold drink of water, water ..filtered water from the Frig is readily available.

golf2140
06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Ten year resident still use tap water.:beer3:

Luv2travel
06-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Be careful of the so called reputable whole house water filter salesmen. I almost threw one of them out of my house when we first moved in. He wanted a meager $8000 for a system. Of course you have to ask why am I getting this system. A simple filter would handle quite a bit, but then they try to scar you about germs in the water. Well, you might want to talk to the water department first to see just how much is in your water, then filter it to very stringent standards. The only think we could come up with was a slight chlorine taste could be filtered out but I would guess a simple whole house filter from Lowes or Home Depot would take care of that.

Newport2008
08-28-2011, 01:36 PM
The water department is required to test their water at least daily to make sure that it does not contain harmful chemicals or "germs". In the event they do notice something, they always warn the public. However, having a refrigerator water filter (http://www.filter-outlet.com) can make the water clearer and taste better. I think the whole house system, especially at that price, is only necessary in places where the water is known to be very poor quality!

peteserb
08-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I recently purchased a maintenance free whole house filter from sears. $552.00 including installation. I have a glacier water water softener system to give away free. Initial cost $3000. Pete

ladydoc
08-30-2011, 05:31 PM
I recently purchased a maintenance free whole house filter from sears. $552.00 including installation. I have a glacier water water softener system to give away free. Initial cost $3000. Pete

Does the sears system also soften the water?

Tweety Bird
09-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I recently purchased a Puronics water system. NASA uses Puronics also. I'm very happy with it. Everything from ice cubes to drinking water and food being rinsed is chlorine free. I put one of those Brita filters on my sink, and it killed my wrist every time I turned the faucet on and off. Even when I shower, my hair feels better. Of course, I hope I made the right decision! :spoken:

ladydoc
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
I recently purchased a Puronics water system. NASA uses Puronics also. I'm very happy with it. Everything from ice cubes to drinking water and food being rinsed is chlorine free. I put one of those Brita filters on my sink, and it killed my wrist every time I turned the faucet on and off. Even when I shower, my hair feels better. Of course, I hope I made the right decision! :spoken:

Sears has a brand new poduct...a water softener and whole house water filter in one unit. Exactly what we want. Just waiting for some feedback to appear on the Sears website before we get one. The water tastes terrible here...we are used to clean fresh cold well water. Our tile in the shower and hand washed glasses are full of spots, which drive me nuts. Water is definitely hard.

drdodge
09-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Try Home Depot They sell the Water Boss for around 500 dollars . Go on line to Water boss .com and you can check them out.
drd

uujudy
09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Sears has a brand new poduct...a water softener and whole house water filter in one unit. Exactly what we want. Just waiting for some feedback to appear on the Sears website before we get one. The water tastes terrible here...we are used to clean fresh cold well water. Our tile in the shower and hand washed glasses are full of spots, which drive me nuts. Water is definitely hard.

LadyDoc, do you remember what it's called? I searched the Sears website, and I can find whole house filter systems and whole house softeners, but I can't find both in one unit.
Thanks for any info!

Bill & Carolyn
01-17-2012, 05:07 PM
LadyDoc, do you remember what it's called? I searched the Sears website, and I can find whole house filter systems and whole house softeners, but I can't find both in one unit.
Thanks for any info!

I looked at the Sears site and they have a unit called a Kenmore Elite Hybrid Water Softener that claims to do both for $800.

uujudy
01-18-2012, 12:18 PM
I looked at the Sears site and they have a unit called a Kenmore Elite Hybrid Water Softener that claims to do both for $800.

Thank for the info, Bill & Carolyn!

Army Guy
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
It really isn't needed to filter the whole house, as was stated in an eariler post. As the water from the water company is fine for general use. However if concerned about drinking just get one at your sink. We went to Home Depot and got the undersink 2 stage filter with the upgraded fliters which cost us $49 every six months. Works great and if you read what they filter it is just as good as most bottled water you buy. The only other thing better is reverse osmosis which both costs more to run and wastes more water then it produces.
Army Guy

uujudy
01-18-2012, 03:43 PM
It really isn't needed to filter the whole house, as was stated in an eariler post. As the water from the water company is fine for general use. However if concerned about drinking just get one at your sink. We went to Home Depot and got the undersink 2 stage filter with the upgraded fliters which cost us $49 every six months. Works great and if you read what they filter it is just as good as most bottled water you buy. The only other thing better is reverse osmosis which both costs more to run and wastes more water then it produces.
Army Guy

Thanks for the info, Army Guy. We have a Brita in the fridge, a Pur on the kitchen sink, and filters on the shower heads. I thought a whole-house filter might make life easier.

Bill & Carolyn
01-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Thank for the info, Bill & Carolyn!

Just to update you on this. I've been walking the ragged edge of insanity researching water softeners, water softener technologies, water filters, etc. I've looked at/talked to EcoWater ($2900), kinectico (~ $2000), Nuvoh20, Kenmore ($800), and a host of others. After much research (and tearing out what little hair I have left on top) here is what I have decided to do.

Background

Our house water (in Pennecamp) tested out at 14 grains hardness, 5ppm Chlorine. My better half has a sodium restricted diet requirement. the 5PPM chlorine will destroy my wife's hair coloring pretty quickly (apparently the pools can only have 1.5 PPM) so we will need to have a whole house carbon filter.

We're going to purchase and have installed the Kenmore Elite Hybrid Water Softener (that includes a carbon filter) and we will be using Potassium Chloride salt instead of sodium chloride. KCl is more expensive than NaCL but it is better for the environment and we don't have the worry about Sodium levels in the water. Given the cost differential between the Kenmore unit and Ecowater/Kinectico I figure I can replace the Kenmore unit entirely three times. Given the water quality/usage I'm expecting the Kenmore unit to last 7-10 years before I need to replace the medium and carbon.

We'll wait after the Kenmore is installed to see if we need to also install a Reverse Osmosis filter in the kitchen. If we do, I'd favor the Kinectico K5 - Consumer research tests rated it the highest by a good margin (and the most expensive too!).

capecodbob
03-07-2014, 11:34 AM

I see you have to add salt. How often do you need to do this and what do you estimate your annual cost is for the salt.
thanks!!!
Bob

CFrance
03-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Bill & Carolyn, does the cost of the Sears unit include installation?

tag460
03-07-2014, 11:52 AM
I had my filter system installed over a year ago, I bought & had it installed by a village resident.
NOVA Water Filtration I am very happy with the system and service.
Whole house triple cartridge filter
$369 for Unit Only
$495 for Unit and Installation

Money Back Guarantee!!

631-338-1048

Bob
Village Resident

jimbo2012
03-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Water softeners do not purifity the water all you get soft dirty water.

Further hard water has many misconceptions, see this link (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/water-filtration-systems-311/myths-about-hard-water-91472/)

THose of that think the water is fine look at one of the cartridges from the Nova filter after a year.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/attachments/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/31111d1390497547t-water-quality-tv-dsc09859.jpg

Do you want to drink, cook or bath in that dirt?

Get a serious Nova filter, live healthier.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/attachments/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/7827d1356185145t-pool-chemicals-filter.jpg

affordablewtr
06-09-2014, 10:10 AM
There are many dealers online as well as local that sell water treatment equipment. Most local dealers have higher overhead than the online dealers so the cost will be more. The disavantage of the online dealers is that when the system breaks down, you must hire a service tech or mail the valve to the online dealer for repair. Either way, it will cost you more money. There are some dealer that not only have better prices, but are a full service company so repairs are completed with no additional cost if the system is under warranty.

Lovey2
06-09-2014, 10:42 AM
We have the Pegasus full home filtration system. It cleans, softens, filters, removes chlorine, chemicals and bacteria and makes the water taste good. I like the feel of the soft water, my dishes and utensils are nice and shiney from the d/w. I no longer use fabric softener, and use considerably less lotions to keep my skin soft. I have replaced the potassium 2X in one year...to the tune of $20 each bag. I have removed the expensive filter from the fridge...don't need it. While it was a little more expensive than prices being quoted here from Sears, etc. they installed the unit (no plumber) and I feel comfortable that should I ever have a problem they will be here for me to rectify it. I know I get on here a lot about this filter, and to each their own, but I was the big naysayer on this purchase...it was my husband that wanted it...and I couldn't be happier. The washer repairman even commented that it was good for the appliances and pipes. Showers, laundry and no spots, residue, etc. on my faucets...I'm a believer. If you are interested, if only to get some info, call Robert at 352-748-7873. Several neighbors have gotten it on our recommendation also, and are very happy with the system.