PDA

View Full Version : New to golf carts!

wendyquat
07-03-2011, 09:10 PM
We just bought a cyv that came with a 2004 Par Car with no warranties. We were told the 8 batteries should last another couple of years but the first time we charged it, the batteries got very hot and stayed hot long after we unplugged it. It also seems to be noisy and rides like maybe the front end needs alignment. Is this heat normal? In a prior post someone said there was a date on the batteries but we don't see that either. I think we'll just trade it in on a new cart but wanted to know if it was normal to get hot and stay hot like that. Which new electric cart gets the most miles between charges and the best performance? I know I'll get lots of opinions and that's what I'm looking for. Thanks

ajbrown
07-04-2011, 08:37 AM
If you have interest in cart, I would get a decent mechanic to look it over. If you need a name PM me.

I have only owned 3 carts (including a 2000 Par Car) and I have never experienced HOT batteries, so this may not help much. My batteries warm during use and charging, but I would never describe mine as hot, i,e, I cannot hold my hand on them. Batteries make a boiling noise at the end of charging, but to my feel I still would not decribe them as HOT. Couple of random thoughts....

How hot is HOT? You mean you cannot touch them?
Do the batteries have the proper amount of water in them?
Are the cables between batteries hot?
Does this happen every time? I am wondering if they had not been charged for a while when you first charged.
If it happens every time, I would be suspicious of battery condition, then wires and their connections, then the charger.

As far as the date codes, I have only owned two type of batteries, Trojan and US Battery. Both have the manufacture date stamped on a terminal. You should see something like B9. The B is the month, the 9 is the year, so B9 would be February of 2009. For the month letter, A is Jan, B is Feb, C is Mar, and so on

Good luck.

wendyquat
07-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks ajbrown - which cart was your favorite? There is water in the batteries and we have only charged it once and do not know how long it has been since the last charging as it was used by renters in April 2011 and may not have been charged since. My husband says it was too hot to leave his hand on the batteries an hour after he had unplugged it. We are hesitant to plug it in again. Sure don't want to "burn the house down". I guess we'll call a service person. I do not want a cart that we are going to have to worry about all the time! Would rather spend the extra bucks and have a warranty.
I appreciate your sharing as we know NOTHING about golf carts. I personally think I would prefer gas but hubby thinks electric. We'll see who wins!

ajbrown
07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I personally think I would prefer gas but hubby thinks electric. We'll see who wins!

As someone who may travel behind you someday, I hope he does :D

As far as the heat of battery, I guess my suspicion would be the condition of the batteries. That would be the first place I would look. Possibly very sulfated from aging or other issues which is causing resistance... hard to say, I am just DIY cart guy myself.

golf2140
07-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks ajbrown - which cart was your favorite? There is water in the batteries and we have only charged it once and do not know how long it has been since the last charging as it was used by renters in April 2011 and may not have been charged since. My husband says it was too hot to leave his hand on the batteries an hour after he had unplugged it. We are hesitant to plug it in again. Sure don't want to "burn the house down". I guess we'll call a service person. I do not want a cart that we are going to have to worry about all the time! Would rather spend the extra bucks and have a warranty.
I appreciate your sharing as we know NOTHING about golf carts. I personally think I would prefer gas but hubby thinks electric. We'll see who wins!

Add gas and go where ever you want. :D

downeaster
07-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I agree with AJ. Let a qualified mechanic look at it.

Batteries too hot to touch after an hour off the charger is not a good sign.

Gas vs electric is a very hot subject. Determine your needs and weigh them against the pluses and minuses of each. I have a very strong opinion but it would serve no useful purpose to share it.

ssmith
07-04-2011, 08:06 PM
:BigApplause: Thanks for the constraint :BigApplause:

Debfrommaine
07-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Call Batter Boys, they will check the issue out for a reasonable fee.

Brewster
07-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd call a golf car mechanic just in case the problem is not with the batteries. The last thing you would want to happen, is buy narrows only to find out it is something else.