PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of ant infestations...

barb1191
07-04-2011, 09:58 PM
So far, have not been hit by ants in "buggy Florida" but thought this was worth sharing as it's such a simple DIY solution.....b

Dish liquid and water mix.

This is, hands-down, the most effective way to get rid of ants.

Use about two tablespoons dish liquid diluted in a pint of water. Transfer the solution into a spray bottle.

Spritz near windows, doors and cracks, but don't wipe it away. This apparently destroys the scent trail that alerts more ants to come on down.

Then, spray any roaming ants with this solution to, well, kill them (and okay, then wipe the ants away). It works surprisingly fast.

glwcww
07-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Good recipe!

ARE there ants in Florida? We arrive next week. Do you think they know and are preparing for an invasion on our new home???? :)

pooh
07-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Good recipe!

ARE there ants in Florida? We arrive next week. Do you think they know and are preparing for an invasion on our new home???? :)

Watch out, the ants in Florida are ORGANIZED! http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0H8QJvi3sxU/TaM18pC0H5I/AAAAAAAADxY/SlvPxdF_dUg/s1600/4+18+11+DP+Computer+Ants+mouse.jpg

WELCOME!

BowleesCreekYachtClub
07-05-2011, 10:47 AM
ARE there ants in Florida? :)

. . . is grass green . . . . is the Pope catholic . . . do bears etc., etc..

getdul981
07-05-2011, 04:53 PM
One of our neighbors swears that they sprinkle grits around the hole and the ants eat it and then go for water. The grits swell up and kill the ants. Haven't tried this yet, but don't see where it could hurt.

rubicon
07-05-2011, 05:43 PM
One of our neighbors swears that they sprinkle grits around the hole and the ants eat it and then go for water. The grits swell up and kill the ants. Haven't tried this yet, but don't see where it could hurt.

I swear thos southern boys can spin a tale better than anyone. always did love their sense of humor

getdul981
07-05-2011, 08:30 PM
They're from Chicago!!!!

ssmith
07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
heard many many years ago of a cure for any bug....involved a dry mixture you put under the sink and seems like it included boric acid? Boy I wish my memory served me better....Does anyone know what I am talking about?

barb1191
07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981

I swear thos southern boys can spin a tale better than anyone. always did love their sense of humor

That is a true fact that corn meal will rid them as getdul981 mentioned....

Bill-n-Brillo
07-05-2011, 09:02 PM
heard many many years ago of a cure for any bug....involved a dry mixture you put under the sink and seems like it included boric acid? Boy I wish my memory served me better....Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Do a Google (or whatever) search on "ants boric acid" (leave off the quotes when you enter the search terms) - you'll find tons of info!

Bill :)

wynnshanks
07-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Unless you're the ant!!

batman911
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Best way to get rid of ants is to get on your hands and knees with a flashlight and follow them back to their nest or point of entry into your home. Just spray the nest or point of entry. This is a lot better than spraying chemicals all over the house.

senior citizen
07-31-2011, 02:54 PM

Boric acid does work and there are home made recipes for ant bait.

Also, little traps can be bought that have boric acid as their main ingredient.
The best ant traps are Terro brand that have borax in them.

Or, just google home made ant killer solution with the borax or boric acid which are two different things. Can't remember which one, but they really worked as does TERRO which kills all common household ants.

Uptown Girl
07-31-2011, 03:02 PM
They're from Chicago!!!!

South Chicago, I bet!:1rotfl: