PDA

View Full Version : Shortening golf clubs

Endless Summer
07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
My husband has two golf clubs that need to be shortened so I can use them. Any suggestions as to where we should take them? Who does good work at a reasonable price? Thanks in advance for taking time to answer.:BigApplause:

red tail
07-05-2011, 03:44 PM
it would probably be cheaper to just buy new petit size clubs.

ajbrown
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
I have had work done at Golf Liquidators on 466 a half a mile or so east of Morse Blvd. I cannot find their number anywhere......sorry

They do work on clubs, replace shafts, etc. I had a driver shaft replaced for $28. I did not like the flight of the ball after the change and they put a new shaft in for no change, no questions asked. I will used them again.

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but beware that simply cutting down a shaft and re-gripping completely changes the frequency of the shaft and may not be optimal for you.

gary42651
07-05-2011, 04:02 PM
I had one club done at Golf Liquidators on 466, all I had to pay for was a new grip. $6

spk7951
07-05-2011, 04:07 PM
The Custom Club shop in The Villages Golf Academy behind Palmer Country Club. Took an iron there a couple of weeks ago and it cost $4 to have it shortened.

l2ridehd
07-05-2011, 05:14 PM
If you cut the club from the butt end, it should still be the same club just shorter. As AJ said it might vary the frequency, but not enough to notice. The flex, torque and bend point should remain the same. So remove the grip, cut off the desired amount, just hacksaw if steel shaft, but wrap with masking tape if graphite to prevent splintering, and then install a new grip. You may find you need a lighter flex then your husband has with these clubs and to change that you will need a new shaft. But any of those places can do that as well.

ajbrown
07-05-2011, 05:54 PM
As others have indicated it is likely that the clubs will be fine for you, but it does depend somewhat on the details of the original club, amount cut, your strength, etc. As an example I have often read that you should never cut down adult clubs for children as they are too heavy and stiff after modification. Of course when I was young and wanted to try the game, I was happy to get any old club left in the garage, never mind a set designed for kids.

Here is a overview from a site I sometimes buy grips and stuff from which talks about the subject. http://golftips.golfsmith.com/shorten-golf-club-shafts-2353.html

Endless Summer
07-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. Didn't think I'd get answers so fast. Thanks also for the PM's. Will let hubby decide since he is really the golfer. Although I don't dislike golfing, even in the heat, my goal is and always will be.......lunch!:mmmm:

CaliforniaGirl
07-05-2011, 09:43 PM
I am not sure what you are trying to do, but beware that simply cutting down a shaft and re-gripping completely changes the frequency of the shaft and may not be optimal for you.

I'm 4'10" and all my clubs have been cut down. Thanks for giving me a legitimate excuse to explain my laughably bad performance! :D

katezbox
07-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. Didn't think I'd get answers so fast. Thanks also for the PM's. Will let hubby decide since he is really the golfer. Although I don't dislike golfing, even in the heat, my goal is and always will be.......lunch!:mmmm:

Sue,

I play ladies clubs - but men's length. I tried a senior flex (the lightest of all men's flexed), but it was too stiff for me. Likely the flex in your hubby's clubs may make them harder for you to hit.

I would check out the resale days at Palmer or resales at any of the other shops around here. For a little money, you can get something that will be much easier for you to hit and allow you to enjoy the game (and lunch)!

Kate

jonsey
07-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Be weary of making your husbands clubs shorter, because most of the times the heads are heavier then a female player can handle unless you are very strong.

Endless Summer
07-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks Kate & Jonesy, both very important things to think about. Still haven't done anything with the current clubs I'm "borrowing". May just get something of my own after your suggestions.....see you on the golf course. giggle.......:22yikes: