PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping a new home

jfmajer
07-12-2011, 06:34 PM
When building a new designer home the landscaping and grass is part of the purchase price. Who decides the design or what is planted in the yard? Is it something that the buyer decides or gets to choose when picking out other options in the home? Thanks for your response. Jim

pzjay
07-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi, If I remember, you're a fellow Sanibellian! I am pretty sure the buyer does not have choices in landscaping...:(

Russ_Boston
07-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi, If I remember, you're a fellow Sanibellian! I am pretty sure the buyer does not have choices in landscaping...:(

That was my experience. Take what they give you and then you can go on your own with something different if you wish.

jfmajer
07-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks. Yes we will be building in Sanibel. Heading down on Sunday and spending the week to order our home.

gmcneill
07-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Russ is correct- no choice at all. I tried w/out success to get input on the basic landscape design our home (currently under construction).

I then tried to have input than once to get input on type of plant materials- specifically the trees- that will be utilized in the design. (Washingtonian palms seem to be a favorite tree of the landscape architect; that type of palm tends to be a natural lightning rod bc of their growth height. Here in so fla, our city parks department never uses that palm in it's designs).

Back on point- nope, wasn't able to do that, either.

Consequently, the landscape design will be the only surprise at our closing next month.

Ohiogirl
07-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't recall any new homes that have palms that were installed by the builder/developer. As far as I know, palms are all add-ons.

The developer uses palms in landscaping the rec centers, golf courses, public areas, etc., but I don't think they put them on home lots anywhere, unless maybe they do this for the models? Anyone know this for sure?

We feel lucky in that we mostly like what they put in front and on the side patio of our CYV. We have added a lot, but only pulled out a little - but we did pull out some - not the case everywhere.

SALYBOW
07-13-2011, 09:27 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't recall any new homes that have palms that were installed by the builder/developer. As far as I know, palms are all add-ons.

The developer uses palms in landscaping the rec centers, golf courses, public areas, etc., but I don't think they put them on home lots anywhere, unless maybe they do this for the models? Anyone know this for sure?

We feel lucky in that we mostly like what they put in front and on the side patio of our CYV. We have added a lot, but only pulled out a little - but we did pull out some - not the case everywhere.
On our street there are several with Palms. We asked for it and they wrote it into the contract. They failed to plant it so when we mentioned it, they dug up the Magnolia and planted a palm. Since then I have seeb a few more planted. Other than that, if you don't upgrade your landscaping, it will be rather bleak. Our's was.

jimmemac
07-14-2011, 02:52 AM
You guys have my curiosity up-We have never been to see our new(to us) home in buttonwood and could not see any tree in the front yard of the pics posted in the listings when it was being sold. When I look on google earth I can see a tree in the front yard. I would love it-or I should say my wife would love it if it was a magnolia-anyone in the area of 1991 sedgefield terrace if you happen to notice,please let me know what is in the front yard.It would totally make my day if I could surprise my wife with a magnolia in the front yard.

ssmith
07-14-2011, 06:25 AM
so what would be a good, hardy, disease resistant easy to take care of tree to request? Is a magnolia a good option? Is there a lot of care for a Washington Palm?

graciegirl
07-14-2011, 07:19 AM
so what would be a good, hardy, disease resistant easy to take care of tree to request? Is a magnolia a good option? Is there a lot of care for a Washington Palm?

It is interesting to me that what I thought were beautiful, tropical trees and bushes when I lived North are considered by locals in some instances to be "junk" trees and "pest" landscaping.

There is a tree planted right next to many driveways that dies out in the dormant season, is cut back usually and comes back to grow quite tall in the growing season. It flowers for a short time and soon overpowers the front gutters with leaves and debris. It has to be trimmed back every week during the fast growing season or it will scrape your car and steal space from your driveway. (Someone will tell what it's called)

There is another bush, tree that blooms beautifully but soon sprouts up and out and around and takes over the planting beds and grows out of control if it isn't constantly monitered and trimmed. (I don't know it's name either)

And the Magnolia, which I thought would be SO desirable to own is disappointing in it's bloom. It has beautiful large white blooms that last a day or two and then change into ugly, UGLY brown blooms before your eyes.

My favorite bush for quick privacy is the bottle brush. You can plant a small two foot twig and it will soon become, in a couple of growing seasons, 12 foot tall and will bush out and give you screen from prying eyes.

On the subject of foundation planting in all of the designers I have seen. I think they do a very good job. It is great from a design element, has contrasting colors and sizes with planned balance.

You will see the progression in new neighborhoods. People move in and then the palms start moving in. You will see them riding down the street to their new homes.

People love their new tropical surroundings here. It is part of the process I love to watch!!

KathieI
07-14-2011, 08:15 AM
You guys have my curiosity up-We have never been to see our new(to us) home in buttonwood and could not see any tree in the front yard of the pics posted in the listings when it was being sold. When I look on google earth I can see a tree in the front yard. I would love it-or I should say my wife would love it if it was a magnolia-anyone in the area of 1991 sedgefield terrace if you happen to notice,please let me know what is in the front yard.It would totally make my day if I could surprise my wife with a magnolia in the front yard.

Hey j... I'll try to go by your house and take a picture for you... I hope that it is a magnolia also, if that's what you guys want!! You sound so sweet to want to make her happy, (sigh)....

jimmemac
07-14-2011, 10:03 AM
That would be absolutely fabulous and very much appreciated-just gives me more reason to get there as a full time resident next year!!!
Thank you so much-villagers are the best!!!

gmcneill
07-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Attached is a good reference for the Washingtonia palm.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/w/wash_rob.cfm

One look at the barbs on the fronds gives you another reason why our city's parks department stays sway from those "little guys".

I have to learn about trees Being from So Fla. I would trust GG opinions about the bottle brush tree and the Magnolia. Magnolia blooms are stunning but do get quite ugly quickly. Very noticeable in your yard but less so on a galloping horse from the roadway.

Take a strong clue from looking at the landscape designs at rec centers and major thorougfares.

For my homesite, I intend to plan a crape myrtle or two, despite the fact that they are deciduous.

ssmith
07-14-2011, 09:39 PM
so clever as always GG. Thanks too to GMCNEIL. Seems there could be many costly mistakes one would make without checking it out!

Golf-Tinker
07-15-2011, 08:57 AM
GG

The new owners of your Hadley abode dumped a palm in the front yard. Guess they had that tropical need.

jebartle
07-15-2011, 09:28 AM

We removed our three, they were a pain in the a**!...Constantly triming, which is usually $100 a trip and roaches love them....Bye-bye palm tree!

JohnN
07-17-2011, 01:39 PM
ssmith, I'm partial to windmill palms (think Corona beer commercial with the Christmas lights), they don't get too tall (15-20'), grow slow, and very cold hardy. For a smaller palm, I love European Fan Palms. Coonties are another very good choice for a bush looking palm.

greenthumb
07-21-2011, 08:02 PM
the tree she is talking about is a crape myrtle and it blooms all sumer almost my landscaper put in a really pretty tree it was called a red bud it losses it leaves in the winter but it is so pritty early spring it flowers with no leaves the entire thing turns a beautiful purple. i did the cheap package and hired a awsome landscaper to fix it up like i wanted afterwords it was cheaper than paying for the premium landscape pac from the villages builder