PDA

View Full Version : Replacing only one battery

elevatorman
07-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Does anyone have any idea if replacing one battery in a set of 4 is a good or bad idea? The shop I use did a load test and found 1 battery bad. They replaced it and the cart runs much better. All the batteries are 2 years old. Should they all be replaced at one time or is one at a time ok?

ajbrown
07-15-2011, 06:54 AM
IMO, it depends, maybe folks with more experience than me can chime in.

They must have felt that the other three batteries were in good shape, or this was the cheapest way to get rid of you for another year :D

One thing that I have consistently read is that when replacing just one battery you should do your best to match the new battery with the condition of the others for a balanced pack..... or maybe I was watching the dog whisperer when I heard that, I cannot remember...

I have replaced a single battery in my 3+ year old pack just a few months ago. That kept me from having to buy a new pack before I went home for summer, but the pack will need to be replaced in the fall as other batteries are weakening.

Brewster
07-15-2011, 05:58 PM
How old is the cart? If it is a Club Car, it has a 4 year warranty and the batteries would be covered under that.

Bosoxfan
07-15-2011, 07:01 PM
This is from personal experience.First off we did the same thing as aj .About a month before we headed north the guys I bought my cart from replaced one of my batteries to buy me some time.We're going to have to replace the pack when we return in the fall.Second I was under the assumption my batteries were warrantied for the same amount of time as the rest of my cart.Well I was wrong. The batteries go by amp hours or usage.So unless EZ G O is the only one doing this don't count on the 4 year warranty.JMHO!