PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods fires caddie

Schaumburger
07-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Read that Tiger Woods fired/replaced his long-time caddie (or is it spelled caddy?) a few days ago. I'm not a golfer so sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but what services does a caddie provide for a golfer at Tiger's level? From what I've read, caddies at this level pull in a decent dollar.

Russ_Boston
07-23-2011, 04:26 AM
From what I've read, caddies at this level pull in a decent dollar.

Steve Williams has a net worth is excess of 20Million according to a New Zealand newspaper (sorry, couldn't find reference. heard it on the GC).

Regardless, let's just say this wasn't about money.

Seems to be a loyalty thing involving Steve working with Adam Scott in the past three outings (only asked Tiger about the first).

Ok, off to golf now sans my caddie.

Schaumburger
07-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Do golfers in TV use caddies? Here in Chicago the sons of a coworker used to caddie at Medinah Country Club when they were in high school and pulled in pretty good money during summer vacation.

Russ_Boston
07-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Do golfers in TV use caddies? Here in Chicago the sons of a coworker used to caddie at Medinah Country Club when they were in high school and pulled in pretty good money during summer vacation.

TV is normal public course play. The vast majority ride the course on the regulation courses with more walking the execs. But I'd say the majority still ride on execs.

rubicon
07-24-2011, 03:18 PM
He will have little problem getting his pick of pro golfers to carry for

Russ_Boston
07-24-2011, 05:23 PM
He will have little problem getting his pick of pro golfers to carry for

I would assume he's sticking with Adam Scott. Yes?

elevatorman
07-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Williams was making $1000 a week plus 10% of the purse according to many sources. There are also alot of other perks like private jets,clothing, hat royalties...... A decent caddie gets 5% if the golfer makes the cut, 7% if he is in the top ten, and 10% if the golfer wins.

Pturner
07-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Read that Tiger Woods fired/replaced his long-time caddie (or is it spelled caddy?) a few days ago. I'm not a golfer so sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but what services does a caddie provide for a golfer at Tiger's level? From what I've read, caddies at this level pull in a decent dollar.

Hi Schaumburger,
I'm not an expert on what a caddy (or is it caddie) does, but enjoy watching pro golf, so can see some of what they do. For example, they help with club selection and often with reading the greens. They keep their pro's stats, such as how far he/she typically hits each club, and study the course in advance so they can provide input on strategy for how a particular hole and a how particular shot should be played. They appear to act as a coach, providing advice and morale support.

The only caddy I have is an electronic one. :sigh:

nitakk
07-24-2011, 06:03 PM
CNN reported today that Steve Williams never signed a non-disclosure agreement with Tiger, leaving him free to possibly write a book about his experiences caddying for Tiger. Now that would be interesting reading!!

Schaumburger
07-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi Schaumburger,
I'm not an expert on what a caddy (or is it caddie) does, but enjoy watching pro golf, so can see some of what they do. For example, they help with club selection and often with reading the greens. They keep their pro's stats, such as how far he/she typically hits each club, and study the course in advance so they can provide input on strategy for how a particular hole and a how particular shot should be played. They appear to act as a coach, providing advice and morale support.

The only caddy I have is an electronic one. :sigh:

Pturner. Thanks! Guess it's more than carrying the golf bag...

Schaumburger
07-24-2011, 06:33 PM
CNN reported today that Steve Williams never signed a non-disclosure agreement with Tiger, leaving him free to possibly write a book about his experiences caddying for Tiger. Now that would be interesting reading!!

I bet the book is on the store shelves by this time next year if not earlier. I would even buy it, and I'm not a golfer...

islandgal
07-24-2011, 11:24 PM
What Steve Williams has to say about a book:

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2011/07/truth-and-rumors-tiger-and-stevie-edition.html

Bonny
07-25-2011, 06:00 AM
I read a while back that Tiger gave Stevie a new car every year. It was one of the ones he would win.

nitehawk
07-25-2011, 06:45 AM
I hope ti-ger comes back soon - then all of those commemorators can show and tell me the shots only ti-ger can make. just love that english accent and how much they worship and adore ti-ger