PDA

View Full Version : Mounting flat screen on wall?

Linwood
07-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Has anyone mounted their flat screen tv on a wall, my house is concrete block and the wall chosen is an outside wall,
I think the Sheetrock is mounted on 1 X 4 spaced either 16" or 24" apart
the house is a Lantana - so we plan to use the front room as the tv room -
this project has now gotten important as we plan to be there full time by October -
any suggestions appreciated,
Many Thanks

chuckinca
07-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Don't see many 1 x 4's; might either a 2 x 4 or a 1 x 2. And probably at 24" OC

Newport2008
08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
1x4's would be a little odd, but I wouldn't think it was way out of the question. The problem you are going to run into is that those aren't going to be strong enough to hold the weight of the TV. You are going to need to get anchor into the block, which if you should be able to do fairly easily! Note that sometimes the place you bought it might be able to do this for you. On the flip side, when I live in San Francisco, I had a San Francisco handyman (http://angieslist.com/companylist/san-francisco/handyman-service.htm) that would help me with these types of projects. Now that I live in Florida, I don't have anyone yet. If you know someone who has done this, you might ask who they used or ask them to help you! A TV is a terrible thing to break!

aljetmet
08-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't think they are 1 X 4. Has to be 2 x 4. anyway outside walls are usually are 16 on center by code. As you need to bolt right into the stud You will need a stud finder. Then bolt away. Being on an outside wall is of no consequence as you are going into studs not the outside wall.

deano_hoosier
08-22-2011, 06:21 PM
I placed a mount for a 42" LED flatscreen and only caught 1 steel stud. Didn't really matter as the anchor bolts I used on the rest of the drywall mounting holes have worked just fine. If I'd been mounting a plasma 42" I'd have been more concerned, but the LED tv is really pretty light.

In the Daily Sun there is a guy that advertises $50 cable drops. I've used him and he does a good job. Knows where all the key construction features are on about any style house. He also does flatscreen tv mounts, too. His name is Paul and phone is 352-255-5211.

Hope this helps.

renrod
08-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Has anyone mounted their flat screen tv on a wall, my house is concrete block and the wall chosen is an outside wall,
I think the Sheetrock is mounted on 1 X 4 spaced either 16" or 24" apart
the house is a Lantana - so we plan to use the front room as the tv room -
this project has now gotten important as we plan to be there full time by October -
any suggestions appreciated,
Many Thanks
If you have time go find a house like yours under construction. Maybe you can find one just before they hang the drywall.

laryb
08-22-2011, 06:34 PM
I had Jay from AVA (Audio Video Authority) hang all my sets, and he did a beautiful job. Ran all the wiring, hid the modem and router in a closet, supplied slim mounts, and installed ceiling speakers. I have a 115 lb Panasonic plasma, and he hung it on metal studs, so wood should not be a problem.

KayakerNC
08-22-2011, 07:41 PM
To paraphrase Chief Brody:
"You're gonna need a bigger hammer."

http://reviews.mibba.com/data/images/content/articles/da/b530c2ad.jpg

jebartle
08-23-2011, 02:56 AM
"Call the Guy"

too scary if it drops!

philnpat
08-23-2011, 04:55 AM
I shot video of a friend's Lantana as it was being built. I reviewed it recently and found that furring was used on outside walls. It appeared to be 1x2 or
1x3. I don't remember if it was on 16 or 24 inch centers. That being said, if you are going to be doing it yourself, plan on using masonary anchors as was previously suggested.

Trish Crocker
08-23-2011, 09:55 AM
:1rotfl::1rotfl:To paraphrase Chief Brody:
"You're gonna need a bigger hammer."

http://reviews.mibba.com/data/images/content/articles/da/b530c2ad.jpg

:1rotfl:

Linwood
08-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Many Thanks,
when I get there next time I'll go check out one under construction -
the block house use furring strips on the outside wall,

the best method is to make sure I get anchors in the block, maybe with tapcon's
cheers,
Only 7 working days left, then I can finally get started moving!
:)

FoPAA
08-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I had Jay from AVA (Audio Video Authority) hang all my sets, and he did a beautiful job. Ran all the wiring, hid the modem and router in a closet, supplied slim mounts, and installed ceiling speakers. I have a 115 lb Panasonic plasma, and he hung it on metal studs, so wood should not be a problem.

Curious, where did he put your cable box (if you have one) so you can change channels, volume, etc.? I'm interested if you have a phone number for Jay.

laryb
08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Curious, where did he put your cable box (if you have one) so you can change channels, volume, etc.? I'm interested if you have a phone number for Jay.As you can see in the picture, we have an audio cabinet beneath the wall mounted TV, which is where we have the Directv receiver, BluRay, and AV receiver. If you look closely, you'll see wall mounted speakers on the side of TV and below it. You can reach Jay at: Office 352-669-6281 or Cell 352-516-7900

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab12/lbrownl/facebook018-1.jpg

missypie
08-23-2011, 09:56 PM
beautiful and impressive looking, thanks for posting picture.

chuckinca
08-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Very nice - looks to be on an interior wall; the original question was about mounting on an exterior block wall.

laryb
08-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Very nice - looks to be on an interior wall; the original question was about mounting on an exterior block wall.

.Yes, it is on an interior wall. From what I understood, there are some form of studs or furring strips on the exterior walls, and a mount could be attached with sheet rock screws or lags, if they were studs. I was trying to point out that a 115 lb TV could be hung on metal studs, so they should be able to hang theirs on the exterior wall. Since the majority of TV's sold today are very light (LCD-light, LED-lighter), I was assuming that's what was going to be hung. Sorry for assuming.

villagegolfer
08-24-2011, 12:12 PM
As you can see in the picture, we have an audio cabinet beneath the wall mounted TV, which is where we have the Directv receiver, BluRay, and AV receiver. If you look closely, you'll see wall mounted speakers on the side of TV and below it. You can reach Jay at: Office 352-669-6281 or Cell 352-516-7900

Nice set-up. I like the idea of the built-in speakers.

KayakerNC
08-24-2011, 01:41 PM
As you can see in the picture, we have an audio cabinet beneath the wall mounted TV, which is where we have the Directv receiver, BluRay, and AV receiver. If you look closely, you'll see wall mounted speakers on the side of TV and below it. You can reach Jay at: Office 352-669-6281 or Cell 352-516-7900

Nice. :thumbup:
I like the speaker set-up. What Brand/Model are the speakers?

laryb
08-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Hi KayakerNC, The speakers are Cambridge SoundWorks Newton Series MC300 In-Wall Speakers, and I have a Cambridge 100 watt subwoofer with them. I have the 3 in the wall, and 4 in the ceiling. There are more expensive speakers out there, but for the money, Cambridge makes a really nice product. I have been using them for years, and not only do they sound good, they last. If you do a google on them, you might get them even cheaper on Amazon. You are welcome to come over and audition them, just pm me.

http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com/Cambridge-SoundWorks-Newton-MC300-Speakers/dp/B00007IKLN?ie=UTF8&id=Cambridge%20SoundWorks%20Newton%20MC300%20Speak ers-&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-2&field_browse=2900942011&searchSize=12&searchNodeID=2900942011&searchPage=1&refinementHistory=price%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2 Ccompatible_devices%2Cspecial_features&searchRank=salesrank

Vinny
08-24-2011, 05:55 PM
I seldom see the point in it as many people hang it on the wall and then have to put some sort of cabinet under it anyway to hold the cable box, DVD player and audio system. I just stand mine up on the audio/TV cabinet. Hanging it up will not save me any space and quite frankly some people do not mount them at eye level because they look funny at that height so you end up with neck aches looking up at the screen. :) Of course if you are not going to put any furniture under the TV then it makes sense.

schotzyb
08-24-2011, 06:32 PM
I seldom see the point in it as many people hang it on the wall and then have to put some sort of cabinet under it anyway to hold the cable box, DVD player and audio system. I just stand mine up on the audio/TV cabinet. Hanging it up will not save me any space and quite frankly some people do not mount them at eye level because they look funny at that height so you end up with neck aches looking up at the screen. :) Of course if you are not going to put any furniture under the TV then it makes sense.

We have our TV mounted on the wall but didn't want any furniture under it so we purchsed a wall mounted stand for the Receiever/Vcr. Like it a lot.

Zass38
08-26-2011, 11:42 AM
On the concrete and block homes, the exterior walls are furred out with 1x3 furring strips, generally located at 24' on center. the material between the furring is 1" (3/4") rigid foam insulation.

StevenGarofalo
09-12-2011, 01:34 PM
If you are mounting it outside and the wall is stucco you need Tapcon screws. Drill the wholes with the masonry bit then screw in with Tapcon screws. after that you will be able to hang on it. I work all over the Villages helping people. Good luck on your project if you need detailed info email me directly.

aljetmet
09-12-2011, 09:21 PM
On the concrete and block homes, the exterior walls are furred out with 1x3 furring strips, generally located at 24' on center. the material between the furring is 1" (3/4") rigid foam insulation.

So how is the sheet rock screwed into the wall? Through a 1X3 which is 3/4 inch thick into foam so that the sheet rock screw does not hit the concrete block? Please tell me I'm missing something. Thanks!

StevenGarofalo
09-15-2011, 03:50 PM
So how is the sheet rock screwed into the wall? Through a 1X3 which is 3/4 inch thick into foam so that the sheet rock screw does not hit the concrete block? Please tell me I'm missing something. Thanks!

The furring strip (wood board) is secured to the concrete with a tapcon screw (masonry screw) and installed every 24 inch's on center. Then the foam is cut and installed between the furring strips, then the drywall is screwed to the furring strips to support and hold the drywall.