PDA

View Full Version : Barnes and Nobles

angiefox10
08-05-2011, 08:39 PM
When I was in TV I noticed a B & N store. How many of you use it? Do you have readers or read "real" books?

KittyKat
08-05-2011, 09:01 PM
I've been there once when my Mom needed to redeem a gift card. Too expensive for me. I use the library. I signed up for Kindle by computer & bought a diet book which was a mistake because with that type of book you need to look at charts & go back & forth between chapters and I didn't like it. I think it would work for a regular story. I just like to hold a book. There's something comforting about it...familiar. I like the smell of the paper and I like turning the pages. I hope parents & grandparents are reading regular books to their children/grandchildren. There's nothing like it. :read:

angiefox10
08-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I understand that some will enjoy "real" books. But for those who enjoy the Kindle... Try this link on for size.

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/

uujudy
08-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the link, AngieFox! I don't have a Kindle or Nook or whatever YET, but I'm shopping.

And to answer your original question, yes. I do shop at Barnes & Noble. I'm glad we have a bookstore here.

zcaveman
08-06-2011, 05:50 AM
I read real books and I use the library for my supply. I get a few books from Literary Guild.

angiefox10
08-06-2011, 06:31 AM
I'm not pushing the e-reader, but at my age my eye (I only have one that works) isn't very good. I like the idea of being able to make the print larger or smaller depending on how tired my eye is. Also, I like being able to hold the book in one hand and change the pages. Once you use one, it's hard to go back.

2newyorkers
08-06-2011, 06:31 AM
I love B&N and the library. I love the feel ,smell and sounds of a book.

angiefox10
08-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Thought you might like this.

http://youtu.be/0eIFoz-Tjf8 :D

zcaveman
08-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Thought you might like this.

http://youtu.be/0eIFoz-Tjf8 :D

I did not see anything about recharging the book so I could keep reading it after the battery ran out.

My book is always ready to read even after a long session of reading.

RichieLion
08-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I love B&N and the library. I love the feel ,smell and sounds of a book.

:read::agree:

I often have a paperback in my pocket. Not so easy with a Kindle.

Bambi
08-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I have a Nook and love it. I bought it because, unlike a Kindle, you don't have to convert Epub books to another format. You can convert Epub to Mobi, using Calibre, but it is just an extra step. Also I like the easily available replaceable battery and the ability to expand the memory in the Nook. I think that the reading experience is about the same on both the Kindle or Nook. It is going to be great going on vacation with a large selection of books on an electronic reader instead of jamming paperbacks in my suitcase. I also use Ibooks on my Ipad. Of course there are some "paper" books that I have that I will always keep. It is all personal preference.

dfn8tly
08-07-2011, 08:20 AM
I have nothing bad to say about either B&N or Kindle. I have a personal library of approximately 2,000 books so I've been a collector for a lot of years. I never thought I'd convert to an ebook but when a friend showed me her Kindle I was hooked. I still use B&N for specialty books or those I know I'll want to refer to frequently. The Kindle is very convenient and goes anywhere with me. Plus it will hold about 2,500 books (as if I needed that many) so I always have something new to read. Both ebooks and hardbacks have their place and I'm right in the middle of the pack.

KayakerNC
08-07-2011, 08:26 AM
:read::agree:

I often have a paperback in my pocket. Not so easy with a Kindle.

I can carry a pretty good sized library (3500 books) on my Kindle.
Not so easy with paperbacks or hardbacks.:icon_wink:

JenAjd
08-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Before moving here we had loads of books but in downsizing needing to get rid of them (a sad time for me) so we donated them knowing others would get enjoyment from them.

This past Spring I got a Kindle and just love it!!! I too would probably rather have a real book but where to store them is a big problem. PLUS now with aging my eyes are changing so with the Kindle you can change the fonts to a larger size. I've been doing a bit of traveling as well and it's so much easier to carry than books. As one other poster said here, you can download many books on the Kindle (or Nook if that's your pleasure) and don't have the weight of all of them to carry---especially if you're traveling.

Taj44
08-07-2011, 09:09 AM
I have a Nook and am loving it. What I especially like, is that, unlike the Kindle, I can get free library books on my Nook, from libraries that offer ebooks. As Jenajd said, the ereaders are really great for storing lots of books for traveling, and having the ability to adjust the font. My Nook also has wifi, so I have basic internet service an can check my email, etc., and I have 3G for shopping whenever I want it. It also has Suduko on it, and I've stored a lot of songs on it, so it is really an all-purpose entertainment center for me when I travel.

triciajo
08-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Still use B&N but love my Kindle. You can read it in the sun without glare and library lending is coming soon.

Taj44
08-07-2011, 09:47 AM
That would be great if the Kindle got library lending. It was the main reason I purchased a Nook instead of the Kindle. It seems like library ebooks will be the wave of the future, and ebook readers should embrace that.

Mikitv
08-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I still read my paper backs. Also we go there all the time for our lattes and magazines. Great way to spend a few hours out of the heat. Tara and her staff at the Cafe are wonderful. Have our drinks down pat and a friendly word for everyone. Love browsing around the whole store. Great place to take grandkids and encourage them to read too.

Christy
08-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I have a Nook. Purchased it in the B&N store and also attended the free instruction class. I can read any book for free on the Nook when I am in the store and have many books on my Nook. Many of my books are "Free Friday" books and some I have purchased.

runnermi
08-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I bought my Kindle in May and I love it. I just throw it in my purse and it is handy if I am stuck waiting someplace.

My one girlfriend and I egg each other on over buying cheap books. I just bought a $1.99 mystery and suckered her into buying it also. Teeheeheehee She is going to smack me upside the head next time I see her, I just know it.

There is a brand new library near where I live but with my schedule returning books got to be a pain plus the main road I would use to get there is all torn up for construction. So I subcombed to the dark side of ereaders. :-)

uujudy
08-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I have a Nook and am loving it. What I especially like, is that, unlike the Kindle, I can get free library books on my Nook, from libraries that offer ebooks. As Jenajd said, the ereaders are really great for storing lots of books for traveling, and having the ability to adjust the font. My Nook also has wifi, so I have basic internet service an can check my email, etc., and I have 3G for shopping whenever I want it. It also has Suduko on it, and I've stored a lot of songs on it, so it is really an all-purpose entertainment center for me when I travel.

I sure hope somebody can help me. What is the difference between an e-reader and an internet tablet? My friend just bought an internet tablet with a Kindle app installed for $190. Wouldn't that be like having a regular Kindle, but better? :shrug:

Technologically Challenged Judy

angiefox10
08-07-2011, 02:07 PM
I sure hope somebody can help me. What is the difference between an e-reader and an internet tablet? My friend just bought an internet tablet with a Kindle app installed for $190. Wouldn't that be like having a regular Kindle, but better? :shrug:

Well... That's a two part question.... The answer is yes!

I have an Ipad but I seldom read on it as it's heaver and harder on my eyes for long periods of reading... The plus side is you can read in the dark without a light.

The kindle is very light, I can hold in with one hand and I can read outside.

That being said, I can sink (sp) all my apps so that I can read from my Kindle, my IPad or my phone at any given time without searching for my page as it will sink to the page I left off.

Clear as mud? :D

ilovetv
08-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I think it's a tremendous asset to have Barnes & Noble right here in TV and would hate to see it close as has been done in some places.

One thing I think Barnes & Noble here could do to increase business is put in college bookstore college logo apparel and gear etc., as over 600 college bookstores across the nation are run by them. I think people in TV like to wear their college logo gear and would enjoy buying it locally, and college logo gear makes great gifts to the kids and grandkids.

I'd like it if B-N here in TV could stock, for example, Big Ten logo apparel (and that would cover many alumni here in TV), and then other NCAA team logo apparel could be ordered online and into the store for pickup. It says on their BNCollege.com website that "We operate more than 600 campus bookstores nationwide for such top academic institutions as Harvard, Yale, the University of Pennsylvania, Indiana University, Georgia Tech, and the Kentucky Community and Technical College System..."....so they certainly have the logo apparel to sell. By having some of it in stock here, let's say Big 10 apparel, customers could see the actual garments and see how they run for size, fit and fabric weight if they wanted to order a logo item not stocked in this store.

Just a suggestion if business is lagging (I hope not). The store is a huge asset to TV and people on the lifestyle preview.....shows there's no need to go elsewhere to access major retailers we're familiar with in other states.

Taj44
08-07-2011, 03:51 PM

Yes and no. I guess it depends on how much reading you do. The e-readers have a special type of viewing screen called e-ink, which gives you a paper like contrast and allows reading in direct sunlight. The downside is they can be difficult to read in a dimly lit room - solution is a small reading light that attacheds to the e-reader. The computer tablets are backlit and may be difficult to read in bright light situations due to the reflective glass, and after doing a lot of reading, may cause eye fatigue because of glare. Because they are backlit, they may be easier to read in low light situations. Of course the tablet would have additional computer applications that the e-reader would lack, at a higher price tag. Depending on the tablet, the pages of the book may not turn as quickly as on an e-reader, it might be more difficult to download books; etc. The e-readers are really dedicated book reading devices. You can put your books on shelves, make notes in the books, lend them to others, change the fonts, etc. I found the backlit screens to be tough on my eyes, which is why I haven't bought an ipad tablet to be used for reading among other things. Hope this helps!

uujudy
08-07-2011, 04:03 PM
AngieFox & Taj, thanks for your answers. I'll have to think about this.
Still shopping,
Judy

IAMDMRAE
08-08-2011, 12:08 AM
i love b&n and the library. I love the feel ,smell and sounds of a book.
barnes & noble is a great store. They are not too expensive they have all different priced books and lots of good "bargain books". You could at least try it before you make such a determination!

Taj44
08-08-2011, 06:33 AM
It is a tough decision! My friends have ipads and love them for traveling, showing pictures, surfing the net; but I don't think they do a lot of reading on them. I can sit down and read for hours, and I know I'd find the reflections on the screen annoying. Everyone is differnt. If you had the chance, maybe you could borrow someone's tablet and see how you like it.

uujudy
08-08-2011, 01:07 PM
It is a tough decision! My friends have ipads and love them for traveling, showing pictures, surfing the net; but I don't think they do a lot of reading on them. I can sit down and read for hours, and I know I'd find the reflections on the screen annoying. Everyone is differnt. If you had the chance, maybe you could borrow someone's tablet and see how you like it.

I did that, Taj, but only for about 15 minutes. I loved it, especially the part that let me enlarge the font size. It seemed fine to me, but after hearing what others have said about eye strain I decided to ask for more opinions. Thanks to everyone here for your input!

Right now I'm leaning toward the Android internet tablet that's a Samsung Galaxy knock-off. It's cheap, compared to the others out there. It doesn't cost much more than an e-reader, and it seems to have more bang for less $$. I thought it could be an inexpensive way to stick my toes in the water for this type of device. I especially like that I can download reference photos for my art classes. Since I would be taking it along with me, there's a high probability that I'll drop it and break it at some point. I won't have a heart attack if that happens, but I might have a heart attack if I break one of the expensive models. :22yikes:

So now my next question is whether or not I can download the Barnes & Noble app to it and buy books from them? So much research to do!
(Notice how I brought this back to the Barnes & Noble topic? lol)

Taj44
08-08-2011, 01:45 PM
uujudy - just curious, what is the name of the Android tablet you're looking at that's a samsung Galaxy knck-off? There are so many tablets on the market now, its hard to know where to even start. I've been thinking of getting one too, but I'm leaning towards one that has usb ports and hdmi, and many of them don't.

uujudy
08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Taj, I sent you a PM
Judy

KatzPajamas
08-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Love the ability of the internet and laptop to surf the web, reading and learning at incredible speed. But there is something about the peace and quiet of a library or B&N that just draws one in for the experience. It is like being home and is so very relaxing. Not to mention the iced coffee and pastries that are offered. I can get lost in the place and have to be dragged out every time we visit!:read:

BBQMan
09-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Barnes and Noble is one of my favorite places in TV. I enjoy relaxing, the coffee and being able to browse through the books. Sometimes I will buy a book, especially ones that are intended to teach such as computer guides. Most of the time, however, if I like a book I'll order it on Kindle.

Barnes and Noble is fighting a rear guard action with the Nook. The Nook is profitable and the stores are still losing money. It remains to be seen if B&N can survive.

rsandstrom
09-04-2011, 07:35 AM
just went to B&N to find a new best seller. I couldn't find it despite waiting for directions from clerk at desk. Had to wait again for her attention to find that they were out of it. I was a little unhappy with the lack of people on the floor that could have been of help and saved me much time waiting for service. I will use Amazon from now on. Much easier and less costly.

Taj44
09-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Once a month I buy a book for a book club, and it is rare for B&N to have the book in stock. I'm not sure I've ever bought a book in there, the selection just doesn't seem to fit my reading tastes or needs. That was one of the reasons I went to the Nook - I can order online and have it delivered within seconds, at a fairly reasonable cost, or possibly obtain the ebook from an online library.

gongoozler
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Barnes and Nobles will go the way ot Borders . . . its just a matter of time as brick and mortar bookstores are a thing of the past . . . the question will be, "Who goes into that building?"

oatmealgirls
09-04-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm afraid B & N are at fault by making their online prices much less than in the physical store.

Wanted to send our granddaughter a book...checked it out online then went into the store to purchase. Ended up going home and ordering it online. Even with paying for shipping it was still less than just the cost of the book alone in the store.

I love bookstores though and would be very sad if they are not able to make it.

Irishkatie
09-04-2011, 08:15 PM
We travel a lot and with the weight restrictions on airplanes the Nook e-reader was great for me as I always take a number of books. My hubby said- more shoes or more books-pick one so now I get to take my shoe choices and the Nook slips into my purse. Plus it's great in the sun

Taj44
09-05-2011, 05:38 AM
We travel a lot and with the weight restrictions on airplanes the Nook e-reader was great for me as I always take a number of books. My hubby said- more shoes or more books-pick one so now I get to take my shoe choices and the Nook slips into my purse. Plus it's great in the sun

Isn't it great? We're getting ready for another trip, and I don't have to worry about finding space for 4-5 books, just take my Nook. Love it!

jblum315
09-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I did not see anything about recharging the book so I could keep reading it after the battery ran out.

My book is always ready to read even after a long session of reading.

My Kindle runs for at least a month.You recharge it by plugging it into the AC adapter cord that came with it.

tudacee
09-07-2011, 12:50 PM
i love my Nook...use the Philadelphia Free Library for it, and B&N. When you go to B&N, you can sit there and read on your Nook, and they have Free Fridays, too.

Still love the library, though...but must say my Nook is something I use every day...love it.
:a040: