PDA

View Full Version : Lanai Window Treatment

GOJODO
08-20-2011, 06:27 AM
We just finished enclosing our lanai and making it a year round home. One side of the lanai consists of 3 sliding doors that stack to either side. I am looking for a curtain/drape that will offer some privacy but be able to push to one side. I want one continuous panel. Has anyone found any such thing if so where did you find it? I may have to make it but would really rather not.
Thanks

Uptown Girl
08-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Stores like JC Penny, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. have ready made grommet top panels that would only require you to sew their panels together to get the width you want. (if grommet top suits your taste.) I have seen panels with both square and round grommets styles in various color finishes. They slide back and forth on the drapery rod with ease. I have seen outdoor panels in this style as well, but have only seen those online.

The length of ready made panels is limited, however.

I have rarely found anything readymade that I didn't have to 'operate on' in some way to make them fit my space. In my past, elbow grease and vision has made many a modest purchase of mine look chic in the end, but it can be a physically taxing and time consuming adventure!

There are also flat, shoji screen type panels available that slide on a track that can cover whatever width you need. They are ready made in various lengths and can be shortened by simply cutting the bottom of the panel to fit.
(The panels are a kind of light-filtering mesh.) They are very limited in color.

It SO depends on what appeals to you esthetically.
Keep us posted!:smiley:

Carla B
08-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Yes, the length of the panels is a limiting factor. You might have to do it yourself or get someone here who makes window coverings make a panel. In order to have one continuous panel I'd look for "railroaded" fabrics.

I'm a big fan of Jo-Ann's half-price sales. They apply to both in-stock fabrics and special orders. Keep us posted on what you come up with.

ducati1974
08-20-2011, 09:21 AM
I just installed a "Cooleroo" shade from Lowe's for privacy/sun shading on our Lanai. When not in use it'll roll right up. Ours was 8' long, but they have other sizes. Not sure if this accomplishes what you want but give it some thought.

kb8tpw
08-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Lowe's, probably Home Depot too, carries a vertical cell blind that works very well for us. The length of the lanai has a blind that you can pull to either side,into the middle or h0wever you want to divide it up. We also have one on each side and it slide either way too. Similar on doors only horizontal sliding.

I don't recall the mfg but thery were not inexpensive at all - to the conrary and we had them installed by Lowes, which was a surprisely pleasant experience as the longest run is 15 or so feet, which I cvould not have handled as easily as they did. If you'd ike to see our installation after checking out Lowe's PM me and I'll make arrangements.

Ray

graciegirl
08-20-2011, 04:07 PM
There are screens and shades and there are drapes to pretty things up and I too am interested in what you choose. You can also use rings with pinch holders to attach to regular drapes to push back.

I have gone to Penney's in Ocala twice in three days this week. They are having a great sale on draperies right now and on rods too.

There is a Penney's in Leesburg but it is not nearly as big as the one in Ocala.

I love Penney's drapes.

I bought some great fabric for valances from Fabric.com. In the next couple of months closer to Thanksgiving, it seems that window treatments aren't quite as cheap as they are now.

Boudicca
08-20-2011, 06:14 PM
One of our neighbors has a "slider" (just like on a sliding closet door), and its mounted on a ceiling track. It covers her triple sliding doors to the lanai. The slider consists of white resin slats which can be adjusted for privacy and air current.

raynan
08-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Check out Brylanehome.com also

GOJODO
08-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Thank you for your suggestions, I will check all of them. I have felt I would probably make them. We just finished making the cornices for our living room and breakfast room, even though it was not difficult it was a big project. The lanai would not be a big project just more sewing, or we could go with our decorator. We did look into the sliders and they looked good but it covered up too much of the view. Might consider a traves (sp) rod, with soft panel.
All of the suggestions are very good, some of which I never thought
Thanks for the help

about.:BigApplause:

ssmith
08-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Is it possible to sew panels together? I guess my concern is the support brackets for the rod. How does one hang a long rod but not use the support brackets so that the grommets can slide along the track without running into the support brackets?

asianthree
08-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Ikea has triple rods that can hang from ceiling or wall you add panel (they have lots of styles or make your own. You just push them to one side or the other when you need the sun.