PDA

View Full Version : TOTV Moderator(s)

TOTV Team
08-27-2011, 05:51 PM
The Talk of the Villages has grown to over 1,200,000 page views and over 100,000 visits every month. In an effort to help bridge the gap in the learning curve as new owners and to hold us as new owners accountable to maintaining and growing the site as it always has, we have enlisted several TOTV users as moderators. Several will be anonymous moderators that will help as a sounding board for issues, research for ideas, and general housekeeping of the site.

User Faithfulfrank has been listed as a public moderator to help as he has many years experience as a moderator on a much larger board and has been on TOTV for over 3 years. He will be active in helping me with site maintenance and issues. Please feel free to private message either one of us if we can ever assist you or email me with any questions at talkofthevillages@gmail.com.

angiefox10
08-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Bump

redwitch
08-27-2011, 09:43 PM
It's about time this site had moderators!

RichieLion
08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
It's about time this site had moderators!

What about Tony? I thought he did an outstanding job. When he had a problem with a post it was addressed with a private message, and you were able to come to an agreement quickly.

I thought Tony did a great job, and he had a great sense of humor. I kind of miss him.

redwitch
08-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Richie, I own a parenting board. It is basically run by moderators. I interfere only when there are major issues. Moderators have a vested interest because they are members of the board and care what happens. Moderators want to protect their board and the direction it is going. Owners are frequently too emotionally involved either because of financial issues or emotional involvement in their baby. I'd suggested to the previous admins that they get moderators when I first joined. Glad to see it is finally happening even though I'm not a fan of "secret" moderators.

villagegolfer
08-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Richie, I own a parenting board. It is basically run by moderators. I interfere only when there are major issues. Moderators have a vested interest because they are members of the board and care what happens. Moderators want to protect their board and the direction it is going. Owners are frequently too emotionally involved either because of financial issues or emotional involvement in their baby. I'd suggested to the previous admins that they get moderators when I first joined. Glad to see it is finally happening even though I'm not a fan of "secret" moderators.

How do moderators have a "vested" interest? Most moderators usually work for free? What I liked about the previous admin was how they kept it clean from free advertising. I think businesses should contribute to TOTV.

The Villager II
08-28-2011, 01:42 AM
What about Tony? I thought he did an outstanding job. When he had a problem with a post it was addressed with a private message, and you were able to come to an agreement quickly.

I thought Tony did a great job, and he had a great sense of humor. I kind of miss him.

I thought Jan was fair and balanced, but Tony would scold folks openly for reasons that seemed more personal to him than of interest to the well being of the board. Perhaps you and he had similar personalities. Anyway, they were both good people, but I do see an improvement in the way the forums are being managed now and especially the Political forum. Just my observation.

redwitch
08-28-2011, 06:33 AM
How do moderators have a "vested" interest? Most moderators usually work for free? What I liked about the previous admin was how they kept it clean from free advertising. I think businesses should contribute to TOTV.

Most moderators really do feel that a chat board is their board and want to make sure it stays clean, friendly, caring, argumentative, obnoxious -- whatever the board was when they first joined. They've invested time and energy into keeping the board the way they perceive it. Therefore, they have a "vested" interest.

villagegolfer
08-28-2011, 07:33 AM
What Does Vested Interest Mean?
1. The lawful right of an individual or entity to gain access to tangible or intangible property now or in the future. A vested interest is an entitled benefit, which can be conveyed to a separate party. There is usually a vesting period before the claimant can gain access to the asset or property. Due to the right of ownership, the benefit can not be taken away i.e. the vested funds are not contingent on any action or inaction.

2. A financial or personal stake one entity has in an action, separate entity or commitment, with the expectation of realized benefits in the present or the future

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/vestedinterest.asp#ixzz1WKHzcwx4

An advertiser here would have a vested interest here at TOTV because he or she has money invested in the success of this venture.

Xavier
08-28-2011, 08:10 AM
What Does Vested Interest Mean?
1. The lawful right of an individual or entity to gain access to tangible or intangible property now or in the future. A vested interest is an entitled benefit, which can be conveyed to a separate party. There is usually a vesting period before the claimant can gain access to the asset or property. Due to the right of ownership, the benefit can not be taken away i.e. the vested funds are not contingent on any action or inaction.

2. A financial or personal stake one entity has in an action, separate entity or commitment, with the expectation of realized benefits in the present or the future

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/vestedinterest.asp#ixzz1WKHzcwx4

An advertiser here would have a vested interest here at TOTV because he or she has money invested in the success of this venture.

Sounds like splitting hairs to me! Is there no one to fight with in Political?

Xavier

Carla B
08-28-2011, 08:16 AM

Xavier

:agree:

TOTV Team
08-28-2011, 10:24 AM
The former owners did not want to participate in a moderator role.

pooh
08-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Most moderators really do feel that a chat board is their board and want to make sure it stays clean, friendly, caring, argumentative, obnoxious -- whatever the board was when they first joined. They've invested time and energy into keeping the board the way they perceive it. Therefore, they have a "vested" interest.

Well said, Red. I've been a member of another board for 11 years and a moderator on that board for probably 10. It's not always the easiest job, there are things that must be done that members aren't aware of. The moderator reads just about all the posts, whether they're of interest to him/her or not. Spammers delight in posting on many boards, sometimes providing links that can be nasty, vile, hide infectious virus programs, etc. and these have to be removed. There are also some who come and "slam" the board with post after post after post. Had a poster from Finland that spent days just posting one thing after another. Kept three moderators busy for an entire week. We three were in different time zones so when one stopped for the night, another could take over.

Moderators have friends on the message boards and being fair and doing what is best for the board sometimes ruffles feathers...but in the long run, things settle down, people write, argue, joke and agree or disagree and the board continues on. Life is filled with changes...some bad, but many good, even if we can't see the good part for a while. It's a job with no pay, frustration at times, but is something done to help keep a board that is loved and enjoyed by members and moderator alike, functioning smoothly.

Pat

swimdawg
08-28-2011, 12:49 PM
The former owners did not want to participate in a moderator role.

Does this mean that we won't see the likes of "Agnes" again??? :icon_wink::icon_wink::icon_wink:
(Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

IMHO, whatever is happening now with the new owner is wonderful.

Keep up the good work....owner, moderators, etc. :thumbup:

Uptown Girl
08-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Moderating must, at times, make one feel like Miss Francis (from Ding Dong School.... memba her?)
Thank you from me.

angiefox10
08-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Moderating must, at times, make one feel like Miss Francis (from Ding Dong School.... memba her?)
Thank you from me.

Now you're cracking me up!!!! :1rotfl:

villagegolfer
08-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Xavier

Moderator, moderator, moderator he is attacking me!!!!:boxing2:

chuckinca
08-28-2011, 01:14 PM
or Mr Rogers!

graciegirl
08-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Well said, Red. I've been a member of another board for 11 years and a moderator on that board for probably 10. It's not always the easiest job, there are things that must be done that members aren't aware of. The moderator reads just about all the posts, whether they're of interest to him/her or not. Spammers delight in posting on many boards, sometimes providing links that can be nasty, vile, hide infectious virus programs, etc. and these have to be removed. There are also some who come and "slam" the board with post after post after post. Had a poster from Finland that must have spent days just posting one thing after another. Kept three moderators busy for an entire week. We three were in different time zones so when one stopped for the night, another could take over.

Moderators have friends on the message boards and being fair and doing what is best for the board sometimes ruffles feathers...but in the long run, things settle down, people write, argue, joke and agree or disagree and the board continues on. Life is filled with changes...some bad, but many good, even if we can't see the good part for a while. It's a job with no pay, frustration at times, but is something done to help keep a board that is loved and enjoyed by members and moderator alike, functioning smoothly.

Pat

Pooh... I would have to think that you did a wonderful job as moderator. You are both smart and fair.

I love this forum, where two of my friends are called P and Pooh.:icon_wink:

Sorry. Just had to say that.

pooh
08-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Pooh... I would have to think that you did a wonderful job as moderator. You are both smart and fair.

I love this forum, where two of my friends are called P and Pooh.:icon_wink:

Sorry. Just had to say that.

Thanks, Gracie, you're a sweetheart!

P and Pooh.....http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8BRYnpXVpuNhHXxK02z5K-SVyj0OnCH5OWnHAi6J76jrVx8EUgQ&t=1

Xavier
08-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Moderator, moderator, moderator he is attacking me!!!!:boxing2:

villagegolfer,

Consider yourself "addressed." I really don't believe that Private Messages were intended as a venue to threaten other posters. Report me if you like and ignore me if you must. :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:.

Xavier

iaudit
08-28-2011, 06:22 PM
villagegolfer,

Consider yourself "addressed." I really don't believe that Private Messages were intended as a venue to threaten other posters. Report me if you like and ignore me if you must. :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:.

Xavier

Xavier

I got obnoxious private messages from villagegolfer and reported them to the admin. Nothing was done about them. Just ignore and you will be better off.

Xavier
08-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Xavier

I got obnoxious private messages from villagegolfer and reported them to the admin. Nothing was done about them. Just ignore and you will be better off.

iaudit,

Thanks for the wise advice.

Xavier

TOTV Team
08-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Xavier

iaudit - If something is addressed privately then the reporting user would not be privy to that action. Please don't assume that because you are not aware of an action that 'nothing is done'. If you have a concern about an issue feel free to contact me privately with a PM or email to talkofthevillages@gmail.com and we can assist and discuss.

You offer great advice that if a particular user you would rather not get a message from or see their post then click on your usercp and add them to your ignore list.

angiefox10
08-28-2011, 07:38 PM

Schaumburger
08-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Thank you from me.

I remember the teacher from Romper Room who would look into her mirror and say, I see Uptown Girl, and Angie Fox and Gracie Girl and Richie Lion etc. etc. And if she said your name, it was a thrill. Is that like being a moderator? :) It must not be an easy job reading the posts that on topics that you aren't particularly interested in. I commend the moderators for their time and effort. Thank you.

angiefox10
08-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I remember the teacher from Romper Room who would look into her mirror and say, I see Uptown Girl, and Angie Fox and Gracie Girl and Richie Lion etc. etc. And if she said your name, it was a thrill. Is that like being a moderator? :) It must not be an easy job reading the posts that on topics that you aren't particularly interested in. I commend the moderators for their time and effort. Thank you.

Did someone say my name????? :a040:

Bill-n-Brillo
08-28-2011, 08:04 PM

No......it's just those voices in your head again...... :shocked:

:1rotfl: :1rotfl: :1rotfl:

Bill :)

angiefox10
08-28-2011, 08:05 PM

*laughing* BAD BILL!!!! :ohdear:

skyguy79
08-28-2011, 08:22 PM

*laughing* BAD BILL!!!! :ohdear:Angie, I'm puzzled! (?) How did those voices ever get out of my head and into yours? I don't recall our ever being anywhere near each other?

http://thumbs.ziare.com/Unul-din-10-copii-aude--voci-/ccca154ad7b05c85d/90/90/2/70/Unul-din-10-copii-aude--voci-.jpg

angiefox10
08-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Angie, I'm puzzled! (?) How did those voices ever get out of my head and into yours? I don't recall our ever being anywhere near each other?

http://thumbs.ziare.com/Unul-din-10-copii-aude--voci-/ccca154ad7b05c85d/90/90/2/70/Unul-din-10-copii-aude--voci-.jpg

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

I miss your humor Skyguy.... I don't see you around much lately... Please don't be a stranger... You light up this forum!

skyguy79
08-28-2011, 10:06 PM
:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

I miss your humor Skyguy.... I don't see you around much lately... Please don't be a stranger... You light up this forum!Thank you Angie. My pleasure lighting up the forum, even though those hot wax drippings do hurt at times!
http://cdn.freeprintablecoloringpages.net/thumbs/Halloween/Hand_With_Candle.png"Ouch... ouch... OUCH!"

mrfixit
08-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Angie, I'm puzzled! (?) HOW DID THOSE VOICES EVER GET OUT OF MY HEAD?....and into yours? I don't recall our ever being anywhere near each other?

OK..... "GUY FROM THE SKY"...>>>>>>LISTEN very Carefully........DO NOT>>>>>>>REPEAT<<<<<<<<"DO NOT REMOVE" your pointy TINFOIL HAT ever again....... You done tainted Miss Angie........and I thought youse was savin that special mission to your planet fer me.

skyguy79
08-28-2011, 11:37 PM
OK..... "GUY FROM THE SKY"...>>>>>>LISTEN very Carefully........DO NOT>>>>>>>REPEAT<<<<<<<<"DO NOT REMOVE" your pointy TINFOIL HAT ever again....... You done tainted Miss Angie........and I thought youse was savin that special mission to your planet fer me.Ise already done en try'd that special mission to my planet just for you, but I done ran out of quarters before I could get my space ship off the ground!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjFE8rDwXk40ycCdEYaz78UMjjWw2j2 jFUpipBWHfVPQSJJBs_oQ

Barefoot
08-29-2011, 01:48 AM

I miss Tony also. He was fair, had a great sense of humor, and tried hard to keep things civil without pulling posts or closing threads.

I'm not being critical of the new owner or moderators. It's a tough job and we are fortunate to have this free website.