PDA

View Full Version : Close call on Heron

spk7951
09-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Got these pictures from a friend of mine today. Had heard about this incident but as usual nothing in the paper. This happened adjacent to the 4th green on Heron. Thankfully the occupants had just left their golf carts.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/spk7951/image001.jpg

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/spk7951/image002-1.jpg

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/spk7951/image006-1.jpg

bkcunningham1
09-04-2011, 09:57 AM
What happened? Did Spanish moss fall on the cart or is that a tree limb with moss that fell?

villages07
09-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Yikes, that's scary. #4 is the par 4 on Heron...lots of big old oak trees just before the green.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

I wonder where the liability for repairing/replacing the golf cart is? Cart owner's insurance, Villages golf division, or what?

spk7951
09-04-2011, 10:46 AM
What happened? Did Spanish moss fall on the cart or is that a tree limb with moss that fell?

A number of tree limbs. This is a better picture of the aftermath from behind the golf carts.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/spk7951/image005.jpg

RichieLion
09-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Wow!!; like everyone else on our courses I park my cart in the shade of a tree when possible. Thank the Lord those people were out of their cart when the limb fell. It looks like it must have been pretty heavy to crush the roof down, like it seems happened.

I sometimes look at those older rotting trees and wonder about them, but like most incurable optimists, never figure to be the one it falls on. Might have to rethink that.

bkcunningham1
09-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Oh my goodness. Thank God there wasn't anyone in the cart at the time.

graciegirl
09-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Oh my goodness. Thank God there wasn't anyone in the cart at the time.

I say Amen to that.

villagegolfer
09-04-2011, 01:48 PM
That was my neighbors cart. Ruined most of her clubs. I think the insurance company said that it was "An act of God." Not sure of the cost or amount of damage. I haven't talked to her yet, just getting third hand information. Hope to see her later today.

bkcunningham1
09-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I would think your homeowner's policy would cover the personal property like the golf clubs since they are normally kept in you home. (Minus the deductable.) The cart would be a separate policy.

Bogie Shooter
09-04-2011, 02:41 PM
I would think your homeowner's policy would cover the personal property like the golf clubs since they are normally kept in you home. (Minus the deductable.) The cart would be a separate policy.

That little insignificant claim on you home owners would probably cause the premium to go up.

JenAjd
09-04-2011, 04:09 PM
YIKES!!! Glad noone was hurt!!!

WHEN did this happen???

redwitch
09-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't remember where I read it, but I do remember seeing something about some type tree rot occurring in oaks and that some of the oaks in TV were infected. Think we all need to be careful around the oaks right now. So very glad no one was injured.

cybermuda
09-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I just hope the authorities don't panic and decide to cut down every living thing in sight

bad enough stripping away everything near the power lines, rather than just keeping the trees sensibly trimmed

rubicon
09-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Yikes, that's scary. #4 is the par 4 on Heron...lots of big old oak trees just before the green.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

I wonder where the liability for repairing/replacing the golf cart is? Cart owner's insurance, Villages golf division, or what?

In order for the golf cart owner to go against The Villages s/he has to prove that the tree was defective (rotting, etc) and a danger and that The Villages was put on noticeof that/those facts. This "Act of God" phrase is a conveneint excuse to cushion the denial of liability.

The cart owner will turn to his/her insurance company but may not receive any payment if s/he has a high deductible. Unless the damage is excessive enough after the deductible it may not be worth it to submit a claim. However if a claim is submitted and paid it is the insurance company's option to go against The Villages for the payment they made. If they do as a courtsey they will also ask for reimbursement of the cart owners deductibles

Based on the photos it is difficult to assess the damage.

The Villages are known for dodging liability

chuckster
09-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm confused.........Thought our amenity fees paid to the CDD support the Exec. Courses (no green fees). Villages own and operate the Championship Courses where we pay green fees. If that's the case is it the CDD that is responsible and is that still the villages or us as we all live in a numbered CDD? I know someone out there can clear this up for me. Also glad no-one hurt .............

rubicon
09-04-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm confused.........Thought our amenity fees paid to the CDD support the Exec. Courses (no green fees). Villages own and operate the Championship Courses where we pay green fees. If that's the case is it the CDD that is responsible and is that still the villages or us as we all live in a numbered CDD? I know someone out there can clear this up for me. Also glad no-one hurt .............

We pay $140 + annually for trail fees to get on the executive courses. If you did not pay trail fee then every time you use an executive course you pay $3.50 unless you walk. All golf courses are ownr and operated by the Developer. He also has interests in the companies that maintain the courses. People who work for the golf admin work for the developer..At leas that it is my understanding

villages07
09-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Rubicon...thanks for your opinion on insurance and liability.

I believe Heron is still owned by the Developer. He owns all exec courses south of 466 except for Pimlico, Belmont, and Churchill. They, along with the exec courses north of 466 were sold by the developer to the central VCCDD several years ago.

The developer does own all championship courses.

Pturner
09-05-2011, 07:33 AM
What a shock this must have been to the golfers! Can you imagine? I am so thankful no one was hurt.

spk7951
09-05-2011, 12:54 PM
YIKES!!! Glad noone was hurt!!!

WHEN did this happen???

I believe this happened late morning on Wednesday 8/31.

nitehawk
09-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I just hope the authorities don't panic and decide to cut down every living thing in sight

bad enough stripping away everything near the power lines, rather than just keeping the trees sensibly trimmed

I hope this does not happen - remember the buffalo

downeaster
09-06-2011, 05:58 PM
spk7951,

Thanks for a great post.

I might suggest moving this thread to "General Discussion" where it may be seen by more members. I think it says a lot and the more people see it the better.

l2ridehd
09-06-2011, 07:40 PM
I heard from a homeowner who lives right there and knew one of the people that "The Villages" (not sure who in TV) took care of the carts and the clubs for all the golfers that day. Not sure if it is true or rumor, but they did tell us that.