PDA

View Full Version : What stock do you wish you had invested?

jebartle
09-07-2011, 10:13 AM
I wish I had invested in a "Security Camera" company, with the high crime and traffic problems, those companies must be raking in the money!!

lightworker888
09-07-2011, 10:20 AM
in Velcro when it first came out. I was told that it would replace zippers and buttons and all I could think was that I couldn't imagine counting on something like that to hold together if someone sneezed or coughed. I imagined all kinds of embarrassing situations particularly on stage as we were sewing costumes at the time for a community show and and had some large men to dress.

As the product got more into mainstream and proved itself so versatile, I kept thinking about how the stock must have increased. Oh well, no point in crying over an opportunity lost. Life's too short and the blessing is that we have enough to be able to spend 6 months in TV and enjoy all the things that we want to there.

LW888

eweissenbach
09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Berkshire Hathaway or Wal Mart in about 1970

zcaveman
09-07-2011, 10:54 AM
IBM back in the 60s

Dennis Ga
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
What about Apple in the late 90's It was 4.43 in 1999 and today is 384.50

Figmo Bohica
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Anyone that is making money.

ladydoc
09-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Anyone that is making money.

We were offered 100 shares of ebay on opening day for $35 a share and passed. Dumb, huh?

batman911
09-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I believe a better question would be "What should you invest in today." No use crying over spilled milk. Hind sight is always 20/20. Lots of good opportunities available since the market is down. You could still buy Apple today below $400. The smart talking heads are projecting over $500 in the future.

NJblue
09-07-2011, 04:15 PM
My "Microsoft" stock is Universal Display (PANL). They are leaders in the OLED display business (said to be the successor to LCD displays). I first bought into them as the dot com bubble was about to burst when they had shot up from a couple of bucks to $26/share (of course I bought at its high point). Then the bubble burst and they dropped to as low as $4 or 5 (I bought more on the way down). It languished in negative territory (from my investment return perspective) for many year but then recently popped back up to close to $60 (and then dropped back to $30, only to claw its way back up to the $50's again.) Perhaps if OLED becomes mainstream they will be worth many times that. Or, they may once again fizzle. But it is fun riding the roller coaster.

nitehawk
09-08-2011, 07:47 AM
wish my family had bought Manhattan for $24 in 1629
although my father did buy the Brooklyn bridge and we got nothing for it

runnermi
09-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I did buy Apple when it was below $100 a share. There is an Apple Store inside the mall near me. Everytime I walked into the store, it was humming with people with open wallets. It did not matter what time of year it was either.

I called my financial planner and told him that he needed to get me a position in that company and why. Unfortunately, it was a small position. But, the stock has done amazing for me and my financial advisor was pretty impressed with me too.

Another company that I noticed the same thing happening at (always busy with people buying) was Ikea but unfortunately, they are privately owned.

One thing that he suggested is investing in companies that are dealing with the power grid in this country. The power grid is aging and yet our demand for all things electrical is increasing. I do own some stock in a couple of companies like that. So far, it hasn't done much but you never know. I am not an expert in any way, shape or form so this is just an idea based on what I was told.

Shimpy
09-08-2011, 04:21 PM
That's an easy question. How bout what stock you wish you hadn't invested in.

Doodlegirl
09-08-2011, 08:37 PM
tobacco and liquor stocks. My Dad would always say, in a recession those are two items people will buy. Apparently so. After my nervous broker bought what I told her, and I made $ while others were losing, she bought the same ones I bought and is happier than a clam. Needed my profits for my move to TV, so I haven't looked at them recently, but I'm not complaining, just sayin! If I had a money tree in back, today I would be buying company's in TX and OK working on
fracting in the old wells for gas and minerals (drilling sideways in the old oil fields). I inherited partial leases in some of these and I am seeing the small amounts increase substantially in dividents from company's drilling in these wells using this new process, like Hess and Occidental Permian as an example. Good to research Fracting.

Trust me, I am a neophyte with stocks, and probably no one to listen to, however I have done very well in a relatively short time in a bad economy.
Look, I'm here in TV thanks to them. Generally I don't risk...but as the economy tanked three years ago, I moved money from some of the Fortune
500's (all inherited) and made some subjective judgments based on my
Father's words. Just lucky for once. I will hold the portions of the leases in
the old wells tho...that looks to be an energy component made in the USA.

festusrules
09-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Caterpillar

Villages PL
11-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Imagine the year is 2030. What will you be wishing you had bought today?

:wave:

Shimpy
11-03-2011, 01:12 PM

2030, are you kidding?? I'll be 88 and just glad to be alive, I think.

brostholder
11-03-2011, 03:44 PM
You must be mistaken, because my brother was also sold the Brooklyn Bridge!

Number 6
11-04-2011, 04:24 PM
I think that Corning (GLW) is a great buy still. There was a time a few years ago that it was going for $1.50 per share. In better times it is a $30 per share stock.

Francie
11-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Google, 3M before Post It notes, Apple

aljetmet
11-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I bought both EMC aND INTEL during the mid 90s both split three times and shot up. Unfortuanately I didn't sell anywhere near the top but I did make some good money. It's so darn hard to say sell. Dot COM busted and from 2000 - 2009 it was a lost decade for our retirment fund. Oh well.

Anyone buy GE @ $8 2/09. I did but not that much...

I have overcome saying sell. Easy now....

HelenLCSW
11-04-2011, 06:30 PM

LMAO:a20:

HelenLCSW
11-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Well, I guess Apple is on everyone's list, gold when I first suspected it was going to go up, and McDonald's when it first came out. If you thought Velcro was unbelievable, so was the $.15 hamburger --and fast food --what was that?

BarMixer
11-05-2011, 10:16 AM
oba today I would be buying company's in TX and OK working on
fracting in the old wells for gas and minerals (drilling sideways in the old oil fields). I inherited partial leases in some of these and I am seeing the small amounts increase substantially in dividents from company's drilling in these wells using this new process, like Hess and Occidental Permian as an example. Good to research Fracting.

USA.

A stock with potential is Chesapeake Energy (CHK). They are involved in fracking for gas shale - Huge deposits called Marcellus and Utica - covering a huge portion of the northeast, as well as fracking the old oil wells.

My financial guy always stresses utilities such as power and water. He says his daughter inspires this thought - she gets up in the morning, turns on the light and brushes her teeth.

KARENNN
12-09-2011, 09:43 PM

I have been away from stocks for a few years, any opinions on FSLR? Interesting 5 year chart, but I haven't been following it since 2007.