PDA

View Full Version : Hosery to reduce foot & ankle swelling

Schaumburger
09-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the feminine forum or the health and medical forum. I'm betting a wise woman on TOTV may be able to assist.

Since early August, I have had swelling in both feet and ankles. Internist checked kidney (through blood test) and heart (through an echocardiogram). Kidneys and heart are fine. He said it could be my lympathic (spelling?) system and suggested I wear some kind of hosiery for a few weeks to see if this helps.

What kind of hosiery am I looking for? Is this pantihose style or knee highs? Do I wear the hosiery just during the day or also while I'm sleeping?

As an aside - I turned 50 last October. It has been 10 months now since my last period so maybe I'm starting menopause. Is foot and ankle swelling a side effect of menopause in some women?

Still a TV wannabee, so I'm not in TV now. I'm in the Chicago area so any suggestions on what kind of store carries this hosiery is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

BOMBERO
09-17-2011, 10:38 AM
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the feminine forum or the health and medical forum. I'm betting a wise woman on TOTV may be able to assist.

Since early August, I have had swelling in both feet and ankles. Internist checked kidney (through blood test) and heart (through an echocardiogram). Kidneys and heart are fine. He said it could be my lympathic (spelling?) system and suggested I wear some kind of hosiery for a few weeks to see if this helps.

What kind of hosiery am I looking for? Is this pantihose style or knee highs? Do I wear the hosiery just during the day or also while I'm sleeping?

As an aside - I turned 50 last October. It has been 10 months now since my last period so maybe I'm starting menopause. Is foot and ankle swelling a side effect of menopause in some women? Still a TV wannabee, so I'm not in TV now. I'm in the Chicago area so any suggestions on what kind of store carries this hosiery is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I'm really sorry and not making light of your condition. I'm just trying to understand. Why would you get on line and tell the WORLD your age and some of your medical history (not to mention when your last period was) and
NOT ask your Doctor what kind of hose he suggested and where to buy them?
I'm thinking instead of a wise woman (stranger) maybe your doctor could assist you.

Again, I'm sorry. I had to ask. I find myself shaking my head alot with some of the posts on this site. Maybe it's just me.

redwitch
09-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Don't have any real answers for you but suggest you go to two places to get the answers you want -- 1. your local pharmacy (a good pharmacist might be able to answer your questions and probably has the stockings in stock); 2. a local medical supply house (they'll definitely have what you need but might not be able to really answer the questions).

Sorry you're going through this. Hope it gets better soon.

ladydoc
09-17-2011, 10:45 AM

As an aside - I turned 50 last October. It has been 10 months now since my last period so maybe I'm starting menopause. Is foot and ankle swelling a side effect of menopause in some women?

Still a TV wannabee, so I'm not in TV now. I'm in the Chicago area so any suggestions on what kind of store carries this hosiery is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Google compression hose and see if you think this is what your doctor was talking about.

angiefox10
09-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm really sorry and not making light of your condition. I'm just trying to understand. Why would you get on line and tell the WORLD your age and some of your medical history (not to mention when your last period was) and
I'm thinking instead of a wise woman (stranger) maybe your doctor could assist you.

Again, I'm sorry. I had to ask. I find myself shaking my head alot with some of the posts on this site. Maybe it's just me.

She can do this because no one knows who she is and many times other women can answer the questions better then a doctor.

After going to doctors many for over 10 years for a condition, I was able to find out what was wrong with me on a forum. Sad but true....

There is nothing wrong with her age and all of us women have periods. *shrug*

PLEASE understand that, I'm not making light of your response. Just that this is a new world and the forum is where people can help people.

quirky3
09-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Just that this is a new world and the forum is where people can help people.
:agree:

Schaum, I sent you a PM. I wish you success in dealing with that!

BOMBERO
09-17-2011, 11:21 AM
She can do this because no one knows who she is and many times other women can answer the questions better then a doctor.

After going to doctors many for over 10 years for a condition, I was able to find out what was wrong with me on a forum. Sad but true....

There is nothing wrong with her age and all of us women have periods. *shrug*

PLEASE understand that, I'm not making light of your response. Just that this is a new world and the forum is where people can help people.

Thank you and I don't think you are making light of my response. Going through male menopause myself, but I talked to my doctor about it. SHE was alot of help.

Schaumburger
09-17-2011, 11:32 AM

I called my female physician about this issue in early August, and she wouldn't help me. She told me to call an internist. So I had to pick an internist from a list of "in network" physicians from my insurance web site.

And if I could get the internist to return my phone calls promptly it would be helpful. I had to call his office 5 times in the last 2 weeks and leave 5 messages before I got my phone calls returned. After he suggested made the hose recommendation, he said "call me in a couple of weeks and let me know how you are doing. Have a nice weekend." Then he hung up. So I probably need to find a new internist. But with working 50+ hrs. a week plus traveling for my job, I don't have a lot of free time these days to research doctors.

Just thought some ladies on TOTV may have gone through this, so just wanted some feedback. Sorry if my post disturbed you.

KittyKat
09-17-2011, 11:34 AM
.Schaum, I was a surgical floor nurse for 17 years so know plenty about compression stockings. In your case your Dr is probably talking about regular compression stockings whose weave is tighter at the bottom and varies as it goes up the calf, thus pushing the pooled blood (most likely from faulty valves) back towards the heart. More serious problems require Jobst stockings in which many measurements are taken from your ankle on up your lower leg so you have a personalized fit;these stockings are heavy duty. You can get TEDS hose at Walmart or The Medicine Chest or a medical supply shop(I think there is still one over on 441 south of 466). The latter two will be more expensive but have a better selection. You probably just need knee high hose. Before you get out of bed in the morning, put them on with your legs up in the air. This way the valves are open & the blood hasn't pooled yet. Take them off when you go to bed. Swelling can also be due to lymphatic problems as your Dr stated. I assume you have a follow-up appt so he can see if the hose have worked. If they haven't then you might need a Doppler Study to check the blood flow in your legs. This is just my experience, so please follow up with your doctor. Good luck! ******** MEASURE YOUR CALF FIRST AS THIS IS HOW THE HOSIERY ARE SIZED****

Schaumburger
09-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Thank you to all who have give me suggestions about hosiery. I will research your suggestions. You ladies rock!

BOMBERO
09-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Sorry if my post disturbed you.

It didn't disturb me. And it WAS posted out of concern for you. I thought you should talk to your doctor and you did. Sorry you have a bad doctor or one that will not give you the time you deserve.

islandgal
09-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Schaumburger.....

I suggest you see a doctor soon. Swollen ankles and feet can be signs of heart or kidney problems among other things in the elderly :cus:
I have been battling the problem for about a year and I have Doppler Studies once or twice a year.
Seems veins in my ankle area were leaking and not returning blood to my heart.
The veins were closed with laser treatments. I wear the suppression hose, which they measure for and have in their office, when I know I will be standing or walking for a length of time.

http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/leg-swelling

I suggest you go to the Vascular Vein Centers in Sumter Landing to make sure it is not anything serious. 750-6191

Please send a PM if you have questions.

BOMBERO
09-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Schaumburger.....

I suggest you see a doctor soon. Swollen ankles and feet can be signs of heart or kidney problems among other things in the elderly :cus:
I have been battling the problem for about a year and I have Doppler Studies once or twice a year.
Seems veins in my ankle area were leaking and not returning blood to my heart.
The veins were closed with laser treatments. I wear the suppression hose, which they measure for and have in their office, when I know I will be standing or walking for a length of time.

http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/leg-swelling

I suggest you go to the Vascular Vein Centers in Sumter Landing to make sure it is not anything serious. 750-6191

Please send a PM if you have questions.

googlemaps.com says it's 1,101 miles from Chicago, Il. to zip code 32162 and over 18 hours drive time. I'm guessing probably to far to go to see a doctor.
I could be wrong, I'm not a gold member.

ladydoc
09-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Thank you to all who have give me suggestions about hosiery. I will research your suggestions. You ladies rock!

Ames Hose is online and they sell some nice compression hose at very reasonable prices.

islandgal
09-17-2011, 04:29 PM
bombero
sorry, I was under the impression I was talking to a fellow resident
BTW - Disregarded "gold member"

skyc6
09-17-2011, 06:31 PM
What great help all you girls are! I agree it is easier and better often to get these experienced opinions, especially when you are short on time and the Dr. doesn't return calls well. Go ladies!!

JenAjd
09-17-2011, 07:17 PM
I would try to visit an endocronologist perhaps and go from there....

ssmith
09-17-2011, 08:54 PM
....I work as a nurse for a very large group of Cardiologists and agree. Do remember that Schaumberger does not live in TV. She did say her heart and kidneys have been checked out. MY group of Cardiologists does vascular testing. You can have very inexpensive screening tests or more costly tests meaning both are ultasounds to check for PVD Peripheral Vascular Disease a test to see how the veins are doing with blood flow.Also make sure you are monitoring your sodium intake. Again I am just a nurse and not a doctor and you have gotten some good advice here.

bestmickey
09-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Schaumberger, you mentioned that you travel alot for business. The only time I have a problem with swollen ankles is when I travel, either by flying or long distance in a car. Even on short flights (2.5 hrs), I will have swollen ankles if I don't wear compression knee-his. Do you have the swelling problems only when traveling? Since you're working so much, you probably can't even tell, unless you had a couple weeks off on vacation. Anyway, I just want to suggest that you make sure to tell your doctor of the frequency of your travel and the many hours of work. It could help guide your doctor to a clue as to the cause of the problem. Good Luck!

Schaumburger
09-19-2011, 02:53 AM
Schaumberger, you mentioned that you travel alot for business. The only time I have a problem with swollen ankles is when I travel, either by flying or long distance in a car. Even on short flights (2.5 hrs), I will have swollen ankles if I don't wear compression knee-his. Do you have the swelling problems only when traveling? Since you're working so much, you probably can't even tell, unless you had a couple weeks off on vacation. Anyway, I just want to suggest that you make sure to tell your doctor of the frequency of your travel and the many hours of work. It could help guide your doctor to a clue as to the cause of the problem. Good Luck!

The traveling a lot for business is a new occurrence, and it's not really "a lot" compared to some people in my office. And it should only be temporary until April of next year. But I have been working a lot of overtime this year compared to last year which means sitting at my desk. Gotta go get those compression knee highs or some kind of compression stocking and see if that helps. Or else I gotta win the Lottery and move to TV next week :).

angiefox10
09-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Is it just your feet, or your hand too?

Schaumburger
09-20-2011, 06:37 AM
Is it just your feet, or your hand too?

No hands. Just feet (but feet seem to be better than a few weeks ago) and ankles. Almost looks like someone cut a golf ball in half and glued it to the outsides of both ankles as both ankles have a bulge on the outside. Not a huge bulge, but noticeable to me.