PDA

View Full Version : What is the rule?

hedoman
09-25-2011, 04:05 AM
What do you do if you hit a golf ball through somebody's wimdow in TV? Do you volunteer to pay for damages? Do you surrender the ball and run? Do you say it's their fault for living on a golf course? Is there a policy in TV if you do property damage or hit somebody?

graciegirl
09-25-2011, 04:27 AM
What do you do if you hit a golf ball through somebody's wimdow in TV? Do you volunteer to pay for damages? Do you surrender the ball and run? Do you say it's their fault for living on a golf course? Is there a policy in TV if you do property damage or hit somebody?

You are out of bounds. You are hitting three from the tee.

Dynasty
09-25-2011, 04:47 AM
This "accident" would be covered under your homeowners policy. You are morally and legally responsible when you damage someones property.

johnfarr
09-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Fortunately, there are plenty of people who "do the right thing." I live on a golf course and had a golf ball break a window. The golfer stopped and was very apologetic. He paid the repair cost, about $135.

Since then I placed Lexan covers over the golf side windows to prevent such problems. I also have several peices of vinyl siding in the correct color ready to replace broken pieces of siding.

l2ridehd
09-25-2011, 05:30 AM
There is the moral answer. Go knock on their door and pay for the damage, which is the right thing to do.

The legal answer. It's their fault and if they want to live on a golf course that's a risk they take, so do nothing.

And then there is the correct answer. Be a person who is responsible for your actions and lets you sleep at night. Get the window fixed. Take the penalty for stroke and distance.

BOMBERO
09-25-2011, 07:22 AM
This "accident" would be covered under your homeowners policy. You are morally and legally responsible when you damage someones property.

2 out of 3 wrong. You may be morally responsible. Not legally responsible.
HO Ins. will not pay.

Challenger
09-25-2011, 07:54 AM
2 out of 3 wrong. You may be morally responsible. Not legally responsible.
HO Ins. will not pay.

At least in New York , Maryland, and Florida the golfer is legally responsible for damage done by his ball. Most developers insert deed provisions preventing home owners from asserting claims against the Club.

mgm4444
09-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

ladydoc
09-25-2011, 08:28 AM

What would you expect someone to do if they damaged your property?

graciegirl
09-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Since no one thought my first post on this thread was humorous I will now be serious.

We, like many here, have lived in a golf community for 40 years. There is no question that if you damage someone's property that you are responsible.

In our previous golf community people knew each other well enough that it was hard to get away with something like that. Someone would know you who was playing behind you or in front of you or someone along the golf course would know or your golf group would know you. We are so big and so anonymous here that you could walk away.

But I believe golfers to be some of the most decent sportsmen found anywhere. Of course you would claim the responsibility.

Mudder
09-25-2011, 09:17 AM
I thought your first post was funny Gracie ! I was ROFLMAO

brostholder
09-25-2011, 09:30 AM
:bigbow:You are out of bounds. You are hitting three from the tee.

BOMBERO
09-25-2011, 09:59 AM

Stroke and distance...

From Golf Digest:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2008-06/golfguru

Tom Hannon
09-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Stroke and distance...

From Golf Digest:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2008-06/golfguru

Maybe stroke and distance is the rule for serious golfers, but a not so serious player might want to take his recovery shot from where the ball landed. (Inside your house) If he choose to do this, make sure he/she wipes their feet and pray he / she doesn't slice his shot through another window.

BOMBERO
09-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Maybe stroke and distance is the rule for serious golfers, but a not so serious player might want to take his recovery shot from where the ball landed. (Inside your house) If he choose to do this, make sure he/she wipes their feet and pray he / she doesn't slice his shot through another window.

After double par - pick up and move on to the next house... I mean hole.

wendyquat
09-25-2011, 02:18 PM

I would have thought funny Gracie but I haven't learned to play golf yet and I have no idea what you are talking about!!:a040:

zcaveman
09-25-2011, 03:36 PM
It is a good question.

On one hand, those that buy on a golf course should be aware or warned of the risks and know that their windows, screened lanais and/or siding is eventually bound to be hit by an errant golf ball.

On the other hand, we are raised to use due diligence and care when we damage another person's property.

So I guess, it is let your conscience be your guide. Will you be able to sleep at night knowing you cost someone $$$ to fix his broken window?

Personally, I think I would go over to the person's house after the game was over and see how he wanted to play it.

I would ask for my ball back to make sure it was mine that did the damage. If he could not provide the ball or it was the wrong ball, I would say "my mistake - I must have hit somebody else's house." and leave.

But like graciegirl says: You are out of bounds. You are hitting three from the tee.

Finish the game before you work with the owner on the problem. Don't hold up those behind you.

CMANN
09-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Take lessons!

GeorgeT
09-25-2011, 06:39 PM

I just read this and actually thought it was funny too. Good job!

GeorgeT
09-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Take lessons!

That's a good one too!

GeorgeT
09-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Take lessons!

I might think about changing my screen name though!:censored:

mrfixit
09-25-2011, 07:26 PM

.....IMHO.... MAN-UP to the deed ....THEN.....be sure to Pay for the ENTIRE costs to repair.....Then ...send them a MINIMUM of a $ 50.00 Gift Card...........

cdurkin
09-25-2011, 07:31 PM

Fromwhat I heard if you live on a golf course what happen, happens,so I do not think you are responsible, but I may be wrong???????????????

Challenger
09-25-2011, 08:01 PM
At least in New York , Maryland, and Florida the golfer is legally responsible for damage done by his ball. Most developers insert deed provisions preventing home owners from asserting claims against the Club.

GeorgeT
09-25-2011, 09:46 PM

You're repeating yourself.

hedoman
09-26-2011, 02:41 AM
What would you expect someone to do if they damaged your property?

Being in TV I would expect folks to do the right thing not the abuse my wife received when she went out and returned the ball. His comment was "that's what you get for living on a golf course" and ran off WITH the ball. That was just wrong, not a "sorru about that" NOTHING. The shot he hit was soooooo bad that he is dangerous on a golf course.

If I had been there there would have been a different outcome. Fortunately the screen repair will only be about $20.

I know now the sentiment of TV! Many of you would run. If you hit a ball into my pool you WILL pay. I will be there tomorrow looking for you.......

robertj1954
09-26-2011, 07:04 AM
I keep business cards in my golf bag in the "unlikely" event I should break a window. If they are not home, I would leave my card with a “ :-( and a I’m sorry “ on the back of the card. My notorious slice from the tee has "morphed" into a nice draw that stays away from houses and roadways! The answer to the writer’s question: The right thing to do is take responsibility and pay to repair the damage you caused. Then head to the driving range and work on that swing!

The Gunny
09-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Do the right thing and own up. U hit it U own it.:spoken:

RichieLion
09-26-2011, 03:52 PM
What is the official rules as applies to The Villages? There must be a provision in the neighborhood covenants to cover this eventuality.

I you buy a house on the golf course, it's going to get hit; that's a given. It seems to add up to an assumed risk by the homeowner in my opinion. Provable blatant recklessness on the part of the golfer may be taken into account, I imagine.

So does anyone have the official rule that applies that pertains to The Villages?

charlie49
09-26-2011, 05:13 PM
I live on a golf course and the law is that I assume the risk of being hit by choosing to live where I do. You cannot benefit from the enjoyment of living on a course without assuming the risk of what that entails. Even professional golfers hit balls out of bounds at times! If someone wants to be nice and compensate for damages, great, but that is not the law. If a homeowner gives you a hard time, tell them you will see them in court.

Charlie