PDA

View Full Version : Book: Outlander

mayBavillager
10-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Has anyone ever read that? It's an old book, but someone suggested it was good so I thought I would read it. I've read about 100 pages and I just can't get into it..... not sure I should even continue with it. What did you think of it if you did read it? Should I continue??

TednRobin
10-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander? If so I've read all of the Outlander series. Great historic fiction. Can't wait for the next book.

momesu
10-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander? If so I've read all of the Outlander series. Great historic fiction. Can't wait for the next book.

I totally agree this is the first book of a great series. Hang in there and keep going you will get hooked. I wanted to cry when I read the last book in the series. I hope there is another. She has woven an amazing story around historic events first in Scotland, then France and finally in the colonies.

Suzanne

DandyGirl
10-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Totally agree with all replies. It's a fantastic series!

nhelleks
10-09-2011, 08:22 PM
I, too, loved the series. Timetraveling with good historical settings. Introduced it to our Book Club. Some liked it some didn't. I can't wait until the next book!

Whalen
10-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I totally agree this is the first book of a great series. Hang in there and keep going you will get hooked. I wanted to cry when I read the last book in the series. I hope there is another. She has woven an amazing story around historic events first in Scotland, then France and finally in the colonies.

Suzanne

Don't tell anybody but it's also one of the sexiest books ever written...without being smutty.
Jamie Fraiser... be still my heart.
Phew, is it hot in here or is it me?
Should probably be moved to the Feminine Forum.

momesu
10-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Don't tell anybody but it's also one of the sexiest books ever written...without being smutty.

Uh huh.. http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/c013.gif

TednRobin
10-09-2011, 08:43 PM

LOL, totally agree. Check out The Oulander FB page. Big debate going on who will play Jamie in the movie. There's even an Outlander Tour of Scotland.

mayBavillager
10-09-2011, 09:59 PM
OK Whalen.... you convinced me.... I will continue... the book is due back at the library 10/11.... I will renew it so I can finish it and wait for the parts you don't want us to tell anybody about...LOL!!

mayBavillager
10-09-2011, 10:01 PM

yes that's the one....

wendyquat
10-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Has anyone ever read that? It's an old book, but someone suggested it was good so I thought I would read it. I've read about 100 pages and I just can't get into it..... not sure I should even continue with it. What did you think of it if you did read it? Should I continue??

I'm with you mayBavillager! Just couldn't get into it. I'm not much for sci-fi. I guess "different strokes for different folks". If it hasn't "gotten me" by page 100 I don't think it will get me.
:blahblahblah:

korman45
10-10-2011, 08:18 AM
I could not get into the first book for quite a while but once hooked - OMG - I loved it and am now on the last book of the series and do not want it to end. Keep going you will love it!!!

jblum315
10-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Sci-fi is a much different genre than other fiction. In theory anyone with a high school education should be able to "get into" any novel written in English, but it's lot harder when it's a whole different world.

GTTPF
10-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I read the entire series and enjoyed it. In places it was a little long winded and the broug slowed down the reading. I would recomend it.

HelenLCSW
10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
LOL, totally agree. Check out The Oulander FB page. Big debate going on who will play Jamie in the movie. There's even an Outlander Tour of Scotland.

Bummer -- wish I had known about the tour -- we were just in Scotland -- went to Coloden battlefield. Loved the series when I read it years ago -- by the way, it was classified as a romantic novel by Barnes and Noble when it first came out, but it reads more like an historical novel (with a little spice thrown in to keep it really interesting!)

TednRobin
10-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Bummer -- wish I had known about the tour -- we were just in Scotland -- went to Coloden battlefield. Loved the series when I read it years ago -- by the way, it was classified as a romantic novel by Barnes and Noble when it first came out, but it reads more like an historical novel (with a little spice thrown in to keep it really interesting!)

Yes, I would love to take the tour as well. Have been to Scotland twice, but will never get enough of it. We were also at Culloden, one of the saddest places I've been to, (outside of Gettysburg).

Fallchicks2
01-06-2012, 05:27 PM
For the fans of time travel romance, wouldn't it be fun to have a forum just for this?

DandyGirl
01-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Sounds good to me. I read the Outlander series, loved every book and anxiously await the next one! I'm currently reading the last book in the "Wicked" series. They have been really good too.

maynaze
04-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Excellent book. A series for Starz is being filmed right now, airing sometime this year. I would love to start an Outlander club.

If anyone is interested please PM me!

Taltarzac725
04-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Excellent book. A series for Starz is being filmed right now, airing sometime this year. I would love to start an Outlander club.

If anyone is interested please PM me!

STARZ - Outlander - A STARZ Original Series (http://www.starz.com/originals/outlander)

Here's a link to the Starz series above.

And for the novel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlander_(novel)