PDA

View Full Version : Teeing off

jebartle
10-14-2011, 12:44 PM
or should I say "Teed Off"....Getting ready to hit on a par 3, maintenance mower on green, mows one row, two rows, (be patient) three rows (more patience), fourth row, after I HIT I yell "FOUR".....What's the deal! or better yet, What would you have done... missed the birdie putt, I know he was hexing me....tee hee....Guess that is why they wear hard hats!.....Best shot of the day!

Golf-Tinker
10-14-2011, 02:53 PM
That we are retired. Stop and smell the roses (or newly mowed grass).

Bogie Shooter
10-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Very good advice.

Mikeod
10-14-2011, 03:20 PM
or should I say "Teed Off"....Getting ready to hit on a par 3, maintenance mower on green, mows one row, two rows, (be patient) three rows (more patience), fourth row, after I HIT I yell "FOUR".....What's the deal! or better yet, What would you have done... missed the birdie putt, I know he was hexing me....tee hee....Guess that is why they wear hard hats!.....Best shot of the day!
Let the facility manager for that course, usually the pro know what happened. If it was on an executive course, ask at the starter shack which pro has responsibility for that course if it was south of 466. North of 466, contact Eric VanGorder. I was told they are not supposed to interfere with play. Even to the point of shutting down/idling the engine when close to a player. The maintenance crews are contractors who have to bid on the job each year. Enough complaints about their work and they will not get the contract.

jebartle
10-14-2011, 06:07 PM
maintenance mower was unaware of our foursome BUT that was NOT the case this time.

Dynasty
10-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Would you have hit if that had been my precious runaway dog on the green? I think not. Then why would you risk hitting a human being? Obviously you have never been hit in the head with a golf ball. Come on, give the guy a break.

jebartle
10-14-2011, 06:38 PM
I was kind enough to yell FOUR!....Probably MORE patience was the order of the day BUT how many trips across the green would be the limit for you????

Would you have hit if that had been my precious runaway dog on the green? I think not. Then why would you risk hitting a human being? Obviously you have never been hit in the head with a golf ball. Come on, give the guy a break.

iaudit
10-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I was kind enough to yell FOUR!....Probably MORE patience was the order of the day BUT how many trips across the green would be the limit for you????

I would have let him finish, not worth the risk of hitting him. Most it takes to cut a green is about five minutes. Do you hit into the group in front of you if they are playing too slow???

Dynasty
10-14-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't think you understand. You can kill someone when you hit them in the head with a golf ball. Please don't ever do that again.

villagerjack
10-14-2011, 08:00 PM
“Fore” always has to do with the front of something (it's what you shout to warn someone when you've sent a golf ball their way). “Four” is just the number “4.” ..."

If you said four instead of fore you probably confused him.

villagegolfer
10-14-2011, 10:14 PM
“Fore” always has to do with the front of something (it's what you shout to warn someone when you've sent a golf ball their way). “Four” is just the number “4.” ..."

:1rotfl::1rotfl:

jebartle
10-15-2011, 02:40 AM
He had a hard hat on his head!

I don't think you understand. You can kill someone when you hit them in the head with a golf ball. Please don't ever do that again.

jebartle
10-15-2011, 02:41 AM
I was reiterating that this was trip No. 4 with the mower....but you are cute!..In "hind" site, will contact the starter and TRY to COOL it!....I should have gotten a bag of popcorn!..Ha!

Bill-n-Brillo
10-15-2011, 11:00 AM
....I should have gotten a bag of popcorn!..Ha!

Here ya go! :popcorn:

Bill :wave:

Oren L Miller
10-15-2011, 11:13 AM

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

pivo
10-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Village jack that really is funny my best laugh of the day

jebartle
10-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Contacted starter today at Amberwood.....He said if mowers delay play, yell "Fore" and go ahead and hit.......

The Great Fumar
10-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Don't worry about it , Its only a two stroke penalty

FORE goodness sakes ..........fumar:D

nitehawk
10-16-2011, 07:43 AM
That would be the safest place to be (on the green ) if i were hittng

rubicon
10-16-2011, 09:27 AM
There are many scenarios. For instance the maintenance guy may have been Hfocused on his work. he may not have hear you over the lawnmower motor or if he could he may not understand english. His supervisor may have had a production agenda and told him not to stop for any reason and then slapped a hard hat on his head

Bottom line for me I never intentionally hit into anyone

quirky3
10-16-2011, 09:43 AM
There are many scenarios. For instance the maintenance guy may have been Hfocused on his work. he may not have hear you over the lawnmower motor or if he could he may not understand english. His supervisor may have had a production agenda and told him not to stop for any reason and then slapped a hard hat on his head

Bottom line for me I never intentionally hit into anyone

:agree: While the golfer may be doing a "slow burn", the mower may be unaware, just trying to do a good job. The golden rule is always a good policy, IMHO

BOMBERO
10-16-2011, 09:50 AM
he may not understand english.

You could try yelling "cuatro".

mulligan
10-16-2011, 10:31 AM
or quatro

Bill-n-Brillo
10-16-2011, 10:57 AM
In Spanish, "cuatro" would be correct for "four".

Bill :)

BOMBERO
10-16-2011, 11:19 AM
or quatro

Quatro would work...if he was Portuguese.

jebartle
10-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Four (fore)!...Oh Lord, here we go again, please pass the popcorn!

Quatro would work...if he was Portuguese.

zcaveman
10-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Contacted starter today at Amberwood.....He said if mowers delay play, yell "Fore" and go ahead and hit.......

Was that his personal opinion?

I am sure it is not a Villages opinion. At Amberwood, they will not let you hit your drive on the very short par 4 because you might accidentally hit someone.

I cannot believe anyone would say to hit into anyone. Hard hats or not.

jebartle
10-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Was that his personal opinion?

I am sure it is not a Villages opinion. At Amberwood, they will not let you hit your drive on the very short par 4 because you might accidentally hit someone.

I cannot believe anyone would say to hit into anyone. Hard hats or not.

Actually it was two starters that told me "Yell fore, then hit"....Maintenance staff should NOT interfere with play....Incidentally there was a back up!
Wonder if the mower (who knew we were waiting) would have gotten off the green if it was a foursome of men!....Hmmm!....This should fire up the troops!

paulandjean
10-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Do not understand? Why not just wait. How long would this be, seconds ,minutes. Sounds like----ME,ME,ME,ME.

Mikeod
10-16-2011, 03:07 PM
This should be a temporary situation. With the new overseed, they cannot mow the greens in the morning as usual because the mowers will pull out the new grass when the green is damp/wet. So they have to mow after the grass dries out. That means people will be on the course. I would bet the mowers usually don't have to worry about interfering with play. After a week or so, they can mow as usual, although the greens will be a little slow and/or bumpy until they get the height back down to normal.