PDA

View Full Version : Ok all you DIY's

wendyquat
10-14-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm trying to put some valances on windows in a cement/stucco CYV and everytime I drill anywhere near the window, I hit metal. Can anyone tell me where to aim to drill a hole? Thanks

borjo
10-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Our windows are up to some code for hurricanes and have the metal all around them. Have to go through it it think, hubby did.

villagegolfer
10-14-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm trying to put some valances on windows in a cement/stucco CYV and everytime I drill anywhere near the window, I hit metal. Can anyone tell me where to aim to drill a hole? Thanks

There should be wood surrounding your window. How old is your CYV?

wendyquat
10-14-2011, 10:29 PM
There should be wood surrounding your window. How old is your CYV?

5 years old. Haven't seen a bit of wood.

graciegirl
10-15-2011, 05:02 AM
AWWW Wendy. That isn't good news.We have chosen today to hang the drapes. We hung one pair on the outside wall but hung them very high...actually a couple of inches from the ceiling.

We both may have to get in touch with the model decorators who are on the second floor someplace in Lake Sumter Landing and ask THEM how they hang the drapes.

Our house is just weeks old and a block and stucco and everytime I try to hang a picture I seem to hit a metal something.

ladydoc
10-15-2011, 06:11 AM

Hi Wendy! Our builder was here last week and we asked him this very question because I just got hubby in gear to hand new curtains. He said to drill thru the metal...if you have the right bit it should not be a problem. If you need to borrow it, tell me and I will bring it tomorrow or at least ask hubby what bit he used. We had no problem hanging them.

mulligan
10-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Use drywall screws made for metal studs. Self-drilling, no need to drill holes.

getdul981
10-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Our builder told us that all the corners for the walls were wooden studs, but everything between was metal. The metal is very thin and you should not have a problem drilling through with the proper bit.

starflyte1
10-15-2011, 08:50 AM
We had the same problem.

Tim Miller came by and had the cornice up in 5 minutes. And the charge was reasonable. He has an assistant. 352-217-0561 Miller Home Services

graciegirl
10-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Sweetie is doing good. Has one and half rods screwed in and the draperies are matching the end wall color. Whew.

Now we have to hang valances that have to be stapled to boards and then screwed into walls. I am sailing into unfamiliar territory. This is so much fun!!

Remember when you come to my house if you don't like the drapes, LIE!:ho:

Bill-n-Brillo
10-15-2011, 10:51 AM
......Remember when you come to my house if you don't like the drapes, LIE!:ho:

Your drapes are absolutely stunning.........aren't they? :shocked: Hee-hee!

Bill :wave:

swimdawg
10-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Your drapes are absolutely stunning.........aren't they? :shocked: Hee-hee!

Bill :wave:

Exquisite....breathtaking. I've never seen anything quite like them......

Have I? :)

Oren L Miller
10-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Are you measuring or using a level? The right end seems lower.

swimdawg
10-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Are you measuring or using a level? The right end seems lower.

Turn your head a bit to the left..... Aha....now they're even! :D

Ohiogirl
10-15-2011, 11:59 AM
We had the same problem.

Tim Miller came by and had the cornice up in 5 minutes. And the charge was reasonable. He has an assistant. 352-217-0561 Miller Home Services

Uh, this is the DIY forum?