PDA

View Full Version : Can you buy distance

aljetmet
10-18-2011, 12:18 PM
A buddy of mine just purchased a Taylormade R11 driver. He had a 10.5 degree driver but gets so much air under all his shots it goes about 190. He's a very good srtiker of the ball. He bought a 9 degree and cranked it down to 8.5 Deg. Well he now hits his drives lower and is getting about 220 on his drives.

Well, I have usually out hit him by 30 yards and figured I needed to keep up with him, just for bragging rights as he usually beats me. (That's another story).

I decided I didn't want to spend the $300 for the R11.

While reading reviews of the R11, I found a good review of the Mizuno MX700(2009) was given and I thought that could be the club for me. I went to Ebay and found a 10.5 deg regular flex club. Paid $101 delivered.

We played Sunday and I was 30 to 50 yards longer than him! My first shot ever ( not even going to the range) was just under 280! My best of the day was 284. I had my longest drives ever on 7 of the 12 holes I used the club.

On a good day I could go about 235 sometimes more....

I'm not bragging but just excited that it's true that you can buy distance with new techology. I was truly shocked with a smooth controlled swing the ball just flew off the Mizuno...

hedoman
10-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Seems folks are spending about $75 per yard gained and you are the exception. I have seen a boatload of new drivers bought and no more than 5 or 6 yds difference. Relax the grip, take a full turn and swing with easy tempo and watch it fly........

Me? If I find the right putter.......

aljetmet
10-18-2011, 02:06 PM
That's what I thought. I had a Bid Red Wilson that I cut down cause I could not hit it. So the new club is 2 inchs longer as well. Let me tell you I had lot's of anxiety before my first hit.

Out of my 7 nice drives I had a birdie and 2 pars. The other four I think I hit the 2nd shot fat every time.... Can't wait till I get to TV so I can drive my self nuts every day er I mean have a wonderful time when golfing.

GTTPF
10-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Good for you Al! I bought a cleveland high bore XL about three years ago. I lost about 50 yards on my drive(because I can't for some reason take a full back swing with it) But it is down the center every time about 250 to 275. I decided the accuracy was worth the distance loss. So I am still using it until I find something I like better. The technology does help if you pick the right equipment.

rubicon
10-18-2011, 02:43 PM
It is only the technology if the guy using the club is a low handicap.

aljetmet
10-18-2011, 03:16 PM
That's my problem! I don't have a low hadicap. I just don't play enough! 15 more months for that problem to hopefully go away.

I promised myself a retirement present of new clubs. (Now I don't need a driver)

ajbrown
10-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Seems folks are spending about $75 per yard gained and you are the exception. I have seen a boatload of new drivers bought and no more than 5 or 6 yds difference. Relax the grip, take a full turn and swing with easy tempo and watch it fly........

Me? If I find the right putter.......

This man's (me) full turn looks more and more like a knock down swing every day :a20:

John_W
10-18-2011, 04:26 PM
...I bought a cleveland high bore XL about three years ago. I lost about 50 yards on my drive (because I can't for some reason take a full back swing) But it is down the center every time about 250 to 275. I decided the accuracy was worth the distance loss. So I am still using it until I find something I like better...

That's weird, I switched from a Cobra to a Cleveland Hibore XL 10.5 stiff last year, found a new one on eBay, and my distance went from 240 to about 280. I'm not big, the same size as Camilo Villegas 5-9 155 lbs and he was with Cobra so I was hooked on Cobra for a while. I had a L4V, L5V and ZL all 10.5 regular flex, and none of them can touch my Cleveland.

Besides switching clubs I switched from regular to stiff flex and I also had the shaft cut an 1-1/2", so it should be playing extra stiff plus it gives me better control. Since I have 30" pant legs I always wanted to have the shaft shortened but I was hesitant because of losing distance, but I think with the shorter stiffer shaft and a faster swing speed I actually increase the distance while improving accuracy. I would love to get my swing speed tested but haven't, I would guess it's about 105.

When you find a club that beats the Cleveland let me know what it is. I only started playing in 2009 so I'm still learning stuff all the time. Moving here in July with the flatter courses my scoring has improved as well. My best so far is an 80 from the whites at Caine Garden and an 82 from the blues at Mallory. Before moving here I averaged between 88 - 92 this spring playing courses around Baltimore.

I'm not bragging but just excited that it's true that you can buy distance with new techology. I was truly shocked with a smooth controlled swing the ball just flew off the Mizuno... I had a Bid Red Wilson that I cut down cause I could not hit it.

I never tried a Mizuno driver, if they have a demo day I'll have to try one. I guess it doesn't hurt that the #1 golfer Luke Donald uses Mizuno. My first driver 3 years ago was a Wilson Big Red 10.5 regular that I bought new at Walmart for $30. I really liked it but was never able to hit a drive longer than 210.