PDA

View Full Version : Leahy's Golf Academy - Leahy has gone

Taj44
11-17-2011, 07:53 PM
I've been taking lessons from Patrick Leahy at his academy at Buffalo Ridge Driving Range, behind the Walmart on Rt. 466. I found out the other day that he has left town and moved to south Florida. My spouse got left holding the bag on a batch of lesson time he had purchased. I had purchased a range ball membership which the new management said they will honor. Pretty dodgy on Leahy's part if you ask me. He must have known he would be leaving. They could have notified clients so that people could use up their lesson time. I was in there about a month ago and nothing was said. Oh well, live and learn.

brostholder
11-17-2011, 07:58 PM
I've been taking lessons from Patrick Leahy at his academy at Buffalo Ridge Driving Range, behind the Walmart on Rt. 466. I found out the other day that he has left town and moved to south Florida. My spouse got left holding the bag on a batch of lesson time he had purchased. I had purchased a range ball membership which the new management said they will honor. Pretty dodgy on Leahy's part if you ask me. He must have known he would be leaving. They could have notified clients so that people could use up their lesson time. I was in there about a month ago and nothing was said. Oh well, live and learn.
If he took your money and didn't deliver the lessons, he has violated the contract you had with him and I would sue him in small claims court.

charlie49
11-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Many people left that range because of Leahy's insistence that even spouses could not help one another with their swing. Does anyone know if the new management is continuing the 'No coaching, no teaching' policy that had been posted? The Village's ranges are far better in allowing friends to look and comment about each others swings.

Taj44
11-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Actually, Buffalo driving range had a separate section where spouses could hit from or where you could do coaching. Personally I think that was one of the best things about that driving range - you could count on being able to hit balls without a bunch of distractions, and you could focus on your own swing. I went to Sarasota the other day, and listened to some guy trying to help his wife. He was loud and distracting, and it really ruined my time at the range. In addition there was a group of 4 ladies talking back and forth about what restaurant they wanted to go to for lunch. A lot of newbies don't realize there is a certain etiquette on driving ranges. Excessive chatter is a no-no.

Taj44
11-18-2011, 06:53 AM
If he took your money and didn't deliver the lessons, he has violated the contract you had with him and I would sue him in small claims court.

My thought as well - up to my spouse to decide.

nitehawk
11-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Many people left that range because of Leahy's insistence that even spouses could not help one another with their swing. Does anyone know if the new management is continuing the 'No coaching, no teaching' policy that had been posted? The Village's ranges are far better in allowing friends to look and comment about each others swings.

I hope the "No coaching", stays in effect.

memason
11-18-2011, 07:33 AM
I stopped going to that range quite a while ago. No Coaching turned into No Talking! If I can't talk to my wife somewhere, I just stop going. Plus, the woman that works there is one of the rudest persons I have encountered in The Villages. Although, not golf cart accessible, I prefer Tree Tops, if going off campus.

You should be able to focus and cancel out all distractions around you [wind, cars, train, conversation, etc.], when addressing the ball. So, maybe the coaching, talking and constant chatter could actually help your game... :wave:

Taj44
11-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Here is a link from Golfsmith.com that describes courtesy on driving ranges. One of the biggest culprits is cell phones - I've seen people on The Villages ranges that think nothing of having a long conversation on their phone while everyone else is trying to hit. Unbelievably rude.http://golftips.golfsmith.com/golf-driving-range-etiquette-1808.html

Irishmen
11-18-2011, 08:13 AM
That mean lady was his wife. Anyway, What happens is other teaching professionals use their range to give lessons without pahing rent. Leahy"s main source of income was lessons. The villages won't let outside professionals teach at their ranges either. I was at Palmer few years ago where there was a outside lady professional giving lessons and there was big confrontation asking her to leave. It's obvious who is a teacher and who is someone helping there spouse.

memason
11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
That mean lady was his wife. Anyway, What happens is other teaching professionals use their range to give lessons without pahing rent. Leahy"s main source of income was lessons. The villages won't let outside professionals teach at their ranges either. I was at Palmer few years ago where there was a outside lady professional giving lessons and there was big confrontation asking her to leave. It's obvious who is a teacher and who is someone helping there spouse.

Whew.... I had to read your post a couple times. I thought you were going to say the mean lady was your wife... Glad that wasn't the case.

jebartle
11-18-2011, 08:40 AM
surprised at exit! BUT not surprised by some posters....When they didn't allow assistance from spouse at range that did it for us....No one knows my golf swing better than the "ole boy"....

Irishmen
11-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Whew.... I had to read your post a couple times. I thought you were going to say the mean lady was your wife... Glad that wasn't the case.

Laughing....my wife is always in a great mood. She can do no wrong.

memason
11-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Laughing....my wife is always in a great mood. She can do no wrong.

LOL.... Be sure you let her read that post!:p

RichieLion
11-18-2011, 09:20 AM
I normally practice a Buffalo Ridge as I liked their combination of "hitting off the grass" driving range and the short game area which includes a large chipping area and large putting green and sand trap practice.

The "mean woman", who's name is Deanna if you ever talked to her, was always pleasant with a sly sense of humor that I appreciated. She's was always generous to me and even once while I was hitting late and she was the only one there and going to scoop up the hit balls, she took the time to bring me out a cold bottle of water on the house, as she saw I was perspiring and she was worried about me. I was touched by that.

I guess I'll have to go down there and see what's up. I also have an uncompleted range ball card.

Taj44
11-18-2011, 11:08 AM
I too found Deanna to be friendly and courteous, and yes, she is Patrick's wife. She always had a friendly smile, remembered my name, and gave me extra golf balls for the price of a small bucket. And she was an incredibly hard worker. If she wasn't answering the phone, doing things on the computer, she was out picking up range balls, or you name it. I imagine if you weren't playing by their rules, and got spoken to for it, it might color your perceptions about the staff there, but my spouse and I found her to be terrific. As far as spouse coaching, mine would assist with my swing, but we'd do it at the end of the range, where they had a section marked off for that type of thing, where no one was around and we wouldn't bother anyone. I hope the new owners/managers continue with that practice.

Loveithere
11-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Actually, Buffalo driving range had a separate section where spouses could hit from or where you could do coaching. Personally I think that was one of the best things about that driving range - you could count on being able to hit balls without a bunch of distractions, and you could focus on your own swing. I went to Sarasota the other day, and listened to some guy trying to help his wife. He was loud and distracting, and it really ruined my time at the range. In addition there was a group of 4 ladies talking back and forth about what restaurant they wanted to go to for lunch. A lot of newbies don't realize there is a certain etiquette on driving ranges. Excessive chatter is a no-no.

Agree, seems like 50% of the times I go to Sarasota, there is someone with a big mouth trying to coach someone. And I am usually far away from him too, that's how loud it gets.

John_W
11-23-2011, 09:54 PM
I was playing at Palmer a couple of months ago and the other golfer introduced the third player as his coach. I thought he was kidding but it turned out to be 'Steve', the pro from Hilltop Driving Range. Apparently they have lessons that includes rounds with the pro.

I swung by Hilltop, it's on Rolling Acress just south of 466 behind American Legion Hall, and it's a nice set up. They have a few mats for hitting drives but most of the teeing area is sodded, which is exactly what I'm looking for. They have some nice targets out on the range with a treed background. When I was there the pro giving lessons was down at one end and didn't interfere and I didn't pick up on any talking going on around the tees. I would call it a pretty decent driving range, they also have a putt-putt and some batting cages for softball hitting.

Mallory
11-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Could you be referring to Tree Tops Golf in Lady Lake?

Taj44
11-24-2011, 09:01 AM
I was playing at Palmer a couple of months ago and the other golfer introduced the third player as his coach. I thought he was kidding but it turned out to be 'Steve', the pro from Hilltop Driving Range. Apparently they have lessons that includes rounds with the pro.

I swung by Hilltop, it's on Rolling Acress just south of 466 behind American Legion Hall, and it's a nice set up. They have a few mats for hitting drives but most of the teeing area is sodded, which is exactly what I'm looking for. They have some nice targets out on the range with a treed background. When I was there the pro giving lessons was down at one end and didn't interfere and I didn't pick up on any talking going on around the tees. I would call it a pretty decent driving range, they also have a putt-putt and some batting cages for softball hitting.

That is a decent range. I don't remember there being a practice green for putting and chipping, but I did like the area for hitting balls, and no, I don't remember encountering noisy people. I guess I quit going there because it wasn't golf cart accessible, and Leahy's was. When my ticket to Leahy's driving range runs out, I may go back to Tree Tops, depending on the price, and if I can hit balls. I've been dealing with tendinitis, which doesn't seem to want to go away.

Irishmen
11-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Patrick and his family have moved last Saturday to the Palm Beach Area. They were working all day everyday and it took its toll.

Biker Dog
11-24-2011, 09:56 AM
We use the American Legion range on Rolling Acres Road. Big bucket for $4.00.

John_W
11-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Could you be referring to Tree Tops Golf in Lady Lake?

You're right, it's Tree Tops. I just checked the card they gave me, which if you get punched each time and after ten buckets your next one is free.

http://www.golftreetops.com/

rubicon
11-24-2011, 12:30 PM
I have been using Tree top for about four years, preferring not to use TV driving ranges since "I don't need no stinking golf cart access" :gc: It is usually quiet and the staff there is helpful. Mike Girard is the owner and at one time owned six or seven golf shops in and around TV. Mikeand his wife are great people. Mike is a good golf instructor. I am however a poor student.