PDA

View Full Version : Men having plastic surgery.

graciegirl
01-10-2012, 06:37 AM
We have three male friends who have looked a little different and a little more rested lately and when standing next to them you can see the slight scars that show the cuts for plastic surgery..mostly because older men have short hair or not as much hair.

Do you think this is a new trend, or an old one I had missed until now?

Uptown Girl
01-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Having been a barber for 31 years (in Chicago), I have had many clients who have had 'procedures' of all kinds done. It's very common. Often they would discuss it with me ahead of time, because I would be cutting their hair/beard prior to the surgery and post-op.

Occasionally it was done for pure vanity (I had one client who had his hands lifted to enhance a beautiful heirloom ring he wore), but often it was done to correct something after years had made it uncomfortable to live with. (such as eyelid surgery, an old facial injury, etc.) A small 'lift' would usually accompany the correction...
Some had lifts to maintain their edge in business (especially if they were in the public eye)
Some married much younger wives and were encouraged by their new bride to do it, along with dyeing their hair and changing their glasses, dress, etc. Not the best way to go.... but it happened a lot.

I've seen great results and not so great, but the improvement in self esteem that I witnessed was remarkable. We all want to look our best... and I loved seeing the 'success stories'!

Barefoot
01-10-2012, 09:24 AM
We all want to look our best... and I loved seeing the 'success stories'!

And then there is Kenny Rogers. :yuck:

Bill-n-Brillo
01-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Boy Howdy!!! :shocked:

Bill :)

skyguy79
01-10-2012, 09:55 AM
And then there is Kenny Rogers. :yuck:Guess he didn't know when to hold them -or- when to fold them! :sigh:

2BNTV
01-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Guess he didn't know when to hold them -or- when to fold them! :sigh:

Surgery provided the ability to hold em so he didn't have to fold em. :jester:

rubicon
01-10-2012, 02:46 PM

And....Bruce Jenner . Perhaps its me but it seems that when a guy gets plastic surgery to the face it kind of girl-izies them ergo Kenny and Bruce...just saying?????

Uptown Girl
01-10-2012, 03:05 PM
i have often wondered how celebrities, who have access to the best of the best there is in cosmetic surgery, wind up looking so bad sometimes. We could name a whole list of them easily!

I remembered some stars from the earlier Hollywood age, who had been picked by the studios and then transformed into perfection, many times by cosmetic surgery. Watching old black and white films and seeing the gorgeous studio portrait photography of that era shows how stunning many were.... but others made the choice of what was to be done, not the 'star'.

So, what happened that makes it hard for some people to know when enough is enough? Many psychological factors, I'm sure.... coupled with poor advisors. God Bless 'em anyway.... they have to live with the results, good or not so good.

rubicon
01-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Peggy Noonan, columnist had an excellent response when asked her opinion about plastic surgery. she said, "beauty is for the young."

IMHO aging faces are so much more interesting. Exceptions of course apply to medical necessities vis a vis plain purpose vanity

2BNTV
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
i have often wondered how celebrities, who have access to the best of the best there is in cosmetic surgery, wind up looking so bad sometimes. We could name a whole list of them easily!

I remembered some stars from the earlier Hollywood age, who had been picked by the studios and then transformed into perfection, many times by cosmetic surgery. Watching old black and white films and seeing the gorgeous studio portrait photography of that era shows how stunning many were.... but others made the choice of what was to be done, not the 'star'.

So, what happened that makes it hard for some people to know when enough is enough? Many psychological factors, I'm sure.... coupled with poor advisors. God Bless 'em anyway.... they have to live with the results, good or not so good.

Heide Montag seems to have had many plastic surgeries to reach perfection.
Joan Rivers is another person who has many things done.

I agree that some of these surgeries have gone wrong for some people.

To each his/her own.

Trish Crocker
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I can understand the surgery, heck, if I knew it would be successful I'd do it...what I don't get is the lip thing...huge duck lips..ugh!!!

Barefoot
01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Jane Fonda looks absolutely stunning!!

Whoops, sorry Topicop, this thread is about menfolk.

Bettiboop
01-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Guess he didn't know when to hold them -or- when to fold them! :sigh:

He should-a walked away:laugh:

Pturner
01-10-2012, 10:33 PM
While some men as well as women do get bad results, I don't see why plastic surgery should be OK for women but not men?

Barefoot
01-11-2012, 12:46 AM
While some men as well as women do get bad results, I don't see why plastic surgery should be OK for women but not men?

Men can still be good looking when they're rugged and weathered and wrinkled. More manly. But they have to be big. The older he gets, the better George Clooney looks, IMHO. But women just look like dryed up prunes. It's payback for all the years when women could wear makup and men had to go bareface.

Bill-n-Brillo
01-11-2012, 07:14 AM
....... But women just look like dryed up prunes. .......

I think I'll refrain from approaching Sandy with a discussion about your "dried up prunes" concept. I value what's left of my life!!

:pepper2:

barefoot, I'm still chuckling from reading your post! Funny stuff!

graciegirl
01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Men can still be good looking when they're rugged and weathered and wrinkled. More manly. But they have to be big. The older he gets, the better George Clooney looks, IMHO. But women just look like dryed up prunes. It's payback for all the years when women could wear makup and men had to go bareface.

Bare! You think we all looked like dried up prunes?

Wait. I just looked in the mirror. Omigosh you're right.

I guess I will just have to continue like this.

I am glad I have company.

skyguy79
01-11-2012, 08:53 AM
I think I'll refrain from approaching Sandy with a discussion about your "dried up prunes" concept. I value what's left of my life!!

Bill :)Don't need to refrain here Bill. My wife learned long ago that I'm chock full of nuts!

http://img3.nipic.com/2008-06-27/2008627122758936_1.jpg

2BNTV
01-11-2012, 08:54 AM

You guys are a hoot!!! :1rotfl:

Uptown Girl
01-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Remember the 'Golden Girls' episode where Blanche discovers the difference in looking in the mirror face down, then holding it high and looking up?
Remember what topic they were discussing at the time?....:)
My very favorite episode!!!!