PDA

View Full Version : I've gone from brown to..????

Happinow
02-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi ladies. I guess I just need your ear for a minute....I went to a new hair dresser last week and got a cut. I really like the cut, so I decided to have her put some highlights in. My hair is a medium brown color so I usually have caramel/darker blonde put in. I said just some nice color throughout. She and I were very excited for the color. This is the first time she has colored my hair. When she took my towel off a lot of my hair was bright blonde! Nothing against blondes, but I've never had so much color, so light. I think I look like a "skunk" or a hooker, not sure which. So I told her I've never had my hair this light before and it would take some getting used to. Of course she said it looked wonderful! I warned my husband on the phone that I was now partially blonde and he said "you'll be beautiful no matter what". I've gone back and fourth over the past day to decide if I should have her tone it down but am afraid to do damage to my hair. I may just have to let it fade and grow out, as my hair grows fast. Has this happened to anyone else?

jnieman
02-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I've had that happen to me so many times and I think it is because the hairdresser doesn't check the highlights half way through to see how the highlights are processing. I think it takes a different amount of time depending on each person's hair. You may want to go back within the time limit (5-7 days) do get it done again for free. She may be able to put a toner on it to darken those highlights some. I don't suggest doing it yourself though. I'm not a hairdresser though and only know this from what they have done on my hair.

MsBrown
02-07-2012, 01:49 PM
I've also had this happen..... unfortunately several times. I'd recommend going back and having her add a toner to your hair. This shouldn't damage you hair as it's just adding color, not removing color. Good Luck.

Uptown Girl
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
A toner is a transparent, semi-permanent color that will fade away over time.
It will soften the color of the highlights you now have, but will not alter the depth of color.
That means it will not make very blonde highlights dark again, it will tone the blonde down temporarily.

Toner will also provide:
Color with less potent chemicals. As your hair has already been subjected to bleach or peroxide in order to lighten it, you take a chance to put harsh chemicals on the same hair again. And... just to be clear, your highlights will not fade away. They are permanent until they grow out and get cut off.

For anyone who colors:
Here is where the shampoo you use is important. I don't care what the front of the bottle says, look at the ingredients!

To minimize rapid fading, your shampoo should NOT contain:
Sodium Laurel Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, or Sodium Hydroxide.

Looks like you wear your hair fairly short. I'd try to love it until you can clip it off. Much less of a gamble.
(in my retired professional opinion)

Happinow
02-07-2012, 05:26 PM
A toner is a transparent, semi-permanent color that will fade away over time.
It will soften the color of the highlights you now have, but will not alter the depth of color.
That means it will not make very blonde highlights dark again, it will tone the blonde down temporarily.

Toner will also provide:
Color with less potent chemicals. As your hair has already been subjected to bleach or peroxide in order to lighten it, you take a chance to put harsh chemicals on the same hair again. And... just to be clear, your highlights will not fade away. They are permanent until they grow out and get cut off.

For anyone who colors:
Here is where the shampoo you use is important. I don't care what the front of the bottle says, look at the ingredients!

To minimize rapid fading, your shampoo should NOT contain:
Sodium Laurel Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, or Sodium Hydroxide.

Looks like you wear your hair fairly short. I'd try to love it until you can clip it off. Much less of a gamble.
(in my retired professional opinion)

I'm trying to get use to it. I do wear my hair short and thank God it grows like weeds! I was just shocked to see it so bleached. Can't tell if I look younger or older. I will live with it for a while. Thanks for your input.