PDA

View Full Version : Driving screws into lintel of lanai

NJblue
02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I have an enclosed lanai and want to attach solar screens and a cornice above our lanai doors. From watching it being built, the material is a stucco layer on top of the metal lintel which is then filled with concrete. So, do I start with a hammer drill with a masonry bit for the stucco, then switch to a metal bit for the metal part, and then switch back to the hammer drill with a masonry bit? Or, since the stocco is relatively thin, just start with the metal bit until I reach the concrete in the lintel and then switch to the masonry bit? I love block and stucco homes, but this is a brand new DYI environment from wood construction like I am used to.

Sail41
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I would start with a masonry bit, change to metal to get through the steel and then use a tapcop bit in the hammer drill. Tapcons work great in concrete.

Mikeod
02-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Can't tell you how many drill bits I ruined trying to get through the lintel. I used a masonary drill to get through the stucco and a high speed drill to get through the lintel. I finally gave up and called a handyman to do the job. He took one look at what I wanted to do and declined the job because he would ruin too many bits. He suggested drilling above the lintel into the concrete block, but that wouldn't achieve what I wanted, so I did something else.

NJblue
02-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Can't tell you how many drill bits I ruined trying to get through the lintel. I used a masonary drill to get through the stucco and a high speed drill to get through the lintel. I finally gave up and called a handyman to do the job. He took one look at what I wanted to do and declined the job because he would ruin too many bits. He suggested drilling above the lintel into the concrete block, but that wouldn't achieve what I wanted, so I did something else.

I didn't want to hear this. Was the problem getting through the metal or the concrete? Did you use a hammer drill for the concrete? I have found that concrete block is very easy to drill through with a hammer drill. Not sure about solid concrete that is in the lintel, though.

chuckinca
02-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Sounds like a job for a core drilling machine with diamond bits.

getdul981
02-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Maybe this would do the trick.

Shop Powers Powder Actuated .22 Cal Single Shot Tool at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/pd_269975-37672-378020_0__?Ntt=.22+cal+nail+driver&UserSearch=.22+cal+nail+driver&productId=3029481&N=0)

mulligan
02-11-2012, 09:54 AM
And you can shoot a stud, and attach your screen with a nut to make it removable.

Mikeod
02-11-2012, 02:01 PM
I didn't want to hear this. Was the problem getting through the metal or the concrete? Did you use a hammer drill for the concrete? I have found that concrete block is very easy to drill through with a hammer drill. Not sure about solid concrete that is in the lintel, though.
Nah, no problem with the stucco or concrete block. It is the metal lintel that resisted all my attempts at drilling. I tried every type of bit I could get and ruined them all in short order. I wound up drilling above the lintel and hanging things down to the level I wanted.

chuckinca
02-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Core drill diamond bits will go thru metal - I've seen them go thru inch thick and larger rebar.

NJblue
04-15-2012, 01:15 PM
In answer to my own question for the benefit of others:

I had the work done by a professional installer and this is how he did it. First, he used a hammer drill to get through the thin coat of stucco. When he reached the metal part of the lintal he used a self-tapping metal screw to create a hole through the metal to the concrete core. Then, he took out the screw and finished off with a hammer drill and used a Tapcon screw to attach the brackets.

tommy steam
03-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info