PDA

View Full Version : Hunger Games

SALYBOW
02-11-2012, 11:03 AM
I am reading the Hunger games trilogy by Jackie Collins. The story is set in a post modern USA after the big revolution left it as a dictatorship. For somereason I can't put it down.

mpdot
02-11-2012, 11:17 AM
I was looking for books to load up my Kindle for a 2-week vacation and a friend recommended the Hunger Games trilogy. She said they have a bizarre premise, but once you get past that the trilogy is a really good read. So true! I whipped right through all three books while cruising across the Atlantic last fall.

2newyorkers
02-11-2012, 12:12 PM
I love these books. The first one is the best. The movie premieres in March. Can not wait. PS: You will have to see the movie outside of TV because TV does not show Liongate films.

Taltarzac725
02-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I love these books. The first one is the best. The movie premieres in March. Can not wait. PS: You will have to see the movie outside of TV because TV does not show Liongate films.

That's interesting about Liongate Films not showing in the Villages.

I have read the first book and have the second one but have not gotten around to reading it yet.

Enjoyed the first one though. Cannot wait to see the woman acting in the Katniss Everdeen role.

These books are by Suzanne Collins.

KayakerNC
02-11-2012, 12:35 PM
I am reading the Hunger games trilogy by Jackie Collins. The story is set in a post modern USA after the big revolution left it as a dictatorship. For somereason I can't put it down.

Actually, the author is Suzanne Collins.
I haven't read her stuff, but it is an interesting premise.:read:

Taltarzac725
02-11-2012, 12:54 PM

That's why 3:10 to Yuma and The Lincoln Lawyer were not here in the Villages. I remember having to go to Leesburg to see the first one and waiting for the DVD for the second.

Wonder if they will make an exception for Dirty Dancing ? That looks like a remake that could do extremely well here in TV.

debzaranti
02-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Hard to believe Suzanne Collins writes for "young readers" (tweens and young teens). I read the first book (bought the other two on my Nook, but haven't read them yet) and LOVED it! Guess that just goes to show, a good read is a good read and your average Villager is younger (at heart/mentally) than our counterparts "outside the bubble"!! LOL!:icon_wink:

l2ridehd
02-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Great books. Loved those and also the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.

Schaumburger
02-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question -- I'm just a TV wannabee -- but why don't the theaters in TV show Lionsgate films? I'm guessing I know the answer, but would like to hear it from a TV veteran.

2newyorkers
02-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I do not know why they do not show Lionsgate films. We wanted to see One For The Money and inquired at the Old Millhouse why wasn't it playing in TV. They stated because they do not show Lionsgate films.

Taltarzac725
02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question -- I'm just a TV wannabee -- but why don't the theaters in TV show Lionsgate films? I'm guessing I know the answer, but would like to hear it from a TV veteran.

My guess is its because of a certain flinty (sorry) film maker extremely well known for his political views. His movies look like they mostly come from Lionsgate as the distributor. A lot of these film distributors have contracts which make theater chains or other businesses show each and every movie that comes out handled by that particular distributor. This information is from the Old Mill Playhouse management which introduced various film festival entries a few years ago with insights into why some screens in Villages' theaters would be running with only one person watching the movie.

For instance, I had a theater of 300 seats at the Old Mill Playhouse all to myself with the 2005 Jennifer Carpenter movie The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Watching this movie all alone was very creepy!

2catsmeow
03-06-2012, 03:57 PM
I decided to contact 'TheatreInfo' and see if I would get a response about Lionsgate films and the possible showing of Hunger Games. I emailed them on 2/27 and they finally got back with me. Here is what they said:

"Thanks for your inquiry.
Unfortunately, we do not have a Contract with LIONSGATE Films. Our attorneys and theirs just seem to not be able to work out a glitch. Until such time as they can, we will not be showing any Lionsgate Films, which this title is one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
TheatreInfo"

Looks like we will have to travel to Ocala to see when it comes out later this month.

Taltarzac725
03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I decided to contact 'TheatreInfo' and see if I would get a response about Lionsgate films and the possible showing of Hunger Games. I emailed them on 2/27 and they finally got back with me. Here is what they said:

Unfortunately, we do not have a Contract with LIONSGATE Films. Our attorneys and theirs just seem to not be able to work out a glitch. Until such time as they can, we will not be showing any Lionsgate Films, which this title is one.
TheatreInfo"

Looks like we will have to travel to Ocala to see when it comes out later this month.

Thanks for the information. Leesburg's AMC Theater would probably have it as well as perhaps the Belleview Twin Cinemas. Their movie prices are $5 per seat. It has a very narrow aisle and rather small screens. Some Villages TV screens are probably almost as big as the screens at Belleview Twin Cinemas. The Belleview experience is more like what you would get while watching a movie about 20 years ago on a plane.

JimJoe
03-06-2012, 05:49 PM
It is strange that so many other theatres can get a contract with Lionsgate and work out "a glitch".
Any idea what the "glitch" is?
JJ

TheatreInfo"

batman911
03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
It is strange that so many other theatres can get a contract with Lionsgate and work out "a glitch".
Any idea what the "glitch" is?
JJ

Ah, let me guess; money/greed?

Taltarzac725
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Ah, let me guess; money/greed?

It still seems like politics to me. The Morse family probably have enough money. Unfortunately, power is a commodity which expands with possession. The more you got, the more you want.

It is probably the politics of some of the the movies that Lionsgate distributes. They do not want these shown in the Villages. Just a guess though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_theatrically_released_Lionsgate_films

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/LionsGate.php

rosygail
03-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I also couldn't put down the Hunger games. The second and third books in the series are not quite as spellbinding as the first but they are also good. I would like to see a prequell to show how the world became like it was when the series started. I would also love to have a book on how the revolution changes their world. She wrote these books for teenagers. Does this mean we are in our second adolescence? ;)

bubblehead1026
06-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Agree, re "The Hunger Games" I read all three back to back in 2 days, couldn't stop.

BmoreGal
06-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Read the first one while on a cruise last week, along with 50 Shades of grey.... Talk about diverse reading... LOL..

Great read! Have to get #2 and #3...

jblum315
06-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Wait. Wasn't "Exotic Marigold Hotel" a Lionsgate film?

jblum315
06-22-2012, 11:28 AM
I also couldn't put down the Hunger games. The second and third books in the series are not quite as spellbinding as the first but they are also good. I would like to see a prequell to show how the world became like it was when the series started. I would also love to have a book on how the revolution changes their world. She wrote these books for teenagers. Does this mean we are in our second adolescence? ;)

No. It means she is a very good writer and doesn't write "down" to young people.

2BNTV
06-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the recommendation as I am always looking for a good book to read.

Schaumburger
06-22-2012, 01:56 PM
I am 2/3 of the way through the first book. Saw the movie 2 months ago (OK I am backwards...). I'm eagerly waiting to read books 2 and 3. I also would like a "prequel" to see how the world ended up this way...