PDA

View Full Version : New York Knicks New Star

brostholder
02-11-2012, 07:04 PM
I have found it difficult to watch a Knicks game since the glory days of Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Bill Bradley,
Dave Debusschere, Earl the Pearl, Phil Jackson, and Dick Barnett. Let's face it, it's been years of embarrassment. But, they have a player named Jeremy Lin who has captured the hearts of New Yorkers. He is a graduate of Harvard, and the only reason he got a chance to play has been injuries to other players. He has played 4 games and has been outstanding in each one, and the knicks have won them all. Last night he put up 38 points against Koby and the Lakers. He is going to be a very exciting star and just may get me watching NBA basketball again.

RichieLion
02-11-2012, 10:49 PM
I have found it difficult to watch a Knicks game since the glory days of Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Bill Bradley,
Dave Debusschere, Earl the Pearl, Phil Jackson, and Dick Barnett. Let's face it, it's been years of embarrassment. But, they have a player named Jeremy Lin who has captured the hearts of New Yorkers. He is a graduate of Harvard, and the only reason he got a chance to play has been injuries to other players. He has played 4 games and has been outstanding in each one, and the knicks have won them all. Last night he put up 38 points against Koby and the Lakers. He is going to be a very exciting star and just may get me watching NBA basketball again.

Ah, finally. I've been a Knicks fan my whole life. You can't discount the great Ewing years of the Knicks. They had to play against great teams then like the Michael Jordan Bulls, the Reggie Miller Pacers, the Olajuwon Rockets, the Robinson-Duncan Spurs etc, etc. They just missed their chance at B-Ball greatness on many occasions, breaking my Knicks heart over and over. It was great basketball, though.

The thing with this kid, Jeremy Lin, is that no one knew how great he might be; and I mean NO ONE. He was undrafted in 2010 and then signed by his favorite team, the Golden State Warriors. He never got much of a shot and was waived and signed by the Houston Rockets who didn't chance him either and eventually let him go, to sign a big man they thought they needed. Mike D'Antoni picked him up for the Knicks having been impressed with his Summer League play. He now sat at the end of the Knicks bench, out of the rotation.

Injuries and the uninspired play of Knicks point guard Tony Douglas and rookie Iman Shumpert, out of position at the point, left D'Antoni in risk of losing his job. The Knicks signed aging injured star Baron Davis, and he hasn't hit the hardwood yet. All this led to D'Antoni looking down his bench and giving this Harvard grad his shot, and BOY did he ever take advantage.

He scored over 20 pts and had at least 8 assists in his first 2 NBA starts, being the first player to do this since Lebron James and only the 6th player to do this since 1970. "Linsanity" took over Madison Square Garden. Even with stars Stoudemire and Carmelo not playing the Knicks were on fire. This unknown Asian-American kid outplaying every point guard he faced. On ESPN, Magic Johnson, in commentary, is comparing him to John Stockton and Steve Nash.

Everyone was waiting to see what would happen against the Kobe Bryant Lakers when they came to the Garden where Kobe once scored a Garden record 61 points. The Lakers would not be surprised by this kid, the commentators said, and this would be a defining game for Jeremy Lin.

What happened?; Jeremy Lin was the best player on the court, hands down. He got the Knicks all involved in the game, and when the Lakers stopped his pick and roll game, he calmly sank jump shot after jump shot and drove time and time again to the basket for layups, embarrassing All Star point guard Derek Fisher again and again.

Madison Square Gard-Lin is jumping; it's Lin-sane, The Knick are all-Lin, The Knicks are Lin-ing and Lin-ing every game, so far, with their new phenom point guard. Lin-sanity is ruling the Garden.

I hope it continues; it's been great to cheer this team again.

RichieB
02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Knicks beat Minnesota 100-98, Lin scored 20.

NYK getting fun to watch again

RichieLion
02-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Knicks beat Minnesota 100-98, Lin scored 20.

NYK getting fun to watch again

Knicks peaked at the right time. Football's done, Baseball is on the horizon and Basketball is the game to watch. Manning's work is done and you look over your shoulder and it's Jeremy Lin time at the Garden. Who would have thunk it.

Stoudemire should love this kid. I'm not sure how Carmelo is going to handle not being in control of the ball on a regular basis, but he'll learn if he wants to win.

natickdan
02-12-2012, 12:13 AM
This kid is amazing to watch play. My only regret is that he isn't wearing a Celtic uniform.

brostholder
02-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Lin has 109 points in his first five games. No one has ever scored more!

RichieB
02-12-2012, 05:55 AM
I'm not sure how Carmelo is going to handle not being in control of the ball on a regular basis, but he'll learn if he wants to win.

When the Knicks got Earl Monroe, and had him and Walt Frazier in the same backcourt, it was thought that there wouldn't be enough basketballs for the two of them.

Things got worked out, and this situation will get worked out as well.

Gotta get Stoudamire and Carmelo back on the court in good playing shape.

paulandjean
02-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Playing good,I do not think he will be a star.Some players just have hot hands sometimes. With his name getting around,the defense will clamp down on him.

brostholder
02-12-2012, 10:38 AM
When the Knicks got Earl Monroe, and had him and Walt Frazier in the same backcourt, it was thought that there wouldn't be enough basketballs for the two of them.

Things got worked out, and this situation will get worked out as well.

Gotta get Stoudamire and Carmelo back on the court in good playing shape.
still remember the first time I saw Earl Monroe do that 360 degree spin move. Wow!! Of course, now everyone does it. Or the first time Pistol Pete did that crossover dribble.

RichieB
02-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Anyone remember that game against Milwaukee in 72 or 73, when they were down 86-68, and won it 87-86 ? Milwaukee, with KA-J, did NOT score another point for the last six minutes of the game ! :a040:

2BNTV
02-12-2012, 10:51 AM
New York fans and the media are living the dream. First with the Giants coming for nowhere land to win the Super Bowl to Jeremy Lin taking over the sports pages with his incredible run.

I watch some of the game last night and thought they were going to lose but Lin pulled it out with a free throw with 4.9 seconds on the clock. Five victories since Lin came into the game.

It's Lin-Sanity and all the other ways his name is being used on the sports pages.

Another feel good story.

RichieB
02-12-2012, 10:58 AM
New York fans and the media are living the dream. First with the Giants coming for nowhere land to win the Super Bowl to Jeremy Lin taking over the sports pages with his incredible run.

I watch some of the game last night and thought they were going to lose but Lin pulled it out with a free throw with 4.9 seconds on the clock. Five victories since Lin came into the game.

It's Lin-Sanity and all the other ways his name is being used on the sports pages.

Another feel good story.

How about a Stanley Cup for the Rangers, and a Yankees-Mets World Series (Yankees winning in a 4-game sweep, of course). :coolsmiley:

If you don't already, watch sports reporter Scott Stanford on WNBC weekends talking about "Lin-sanity." What a hoot !

RichieLion
02-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Playing good,I do not think he will be a star.Some players just have hot hands sometimes. With his name getting around,the defense will clamp down on him.

Anything can happen, but Jeremy Lin has shown great basketball I.Q. to this point. He plays the pick and roll to perfection. If he's stopped he hits the jumper. If the defense is quick to guard his jump shot, he's drove around them with an assortment of moves that results in a lay-up, a foul on the drive, or a thundering dunk by Tyson Chandler as he gets a timely quick pass from Lin.

5 games in a row with 20 plus points and the whole team playing as a team. You notice the difference when Lin is on the floor and when he's not. The Knicks are better when he's there, no doubt about it.

I just hope D'Antoni doesn't hurt this kid with too many minutes. He's playing too much. That's why he faltered at the end of the Grizzlies game. But, to his credit, he had enough to force a driving foul at the end to set up the game winning free throws.

I wouldn't doubt this kid.

2BNTV
02-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Ah, finally. I've been a Knicks fan my whole life. You can't discount the great Ewing years of the Knicks. They had to play against great teams then like the Michael Jordan Bulls, the Reggie Miller Pacers, the Olajuwon Rockets, the Robinson-Duncan Spurs etc, etc. They just missed their chance at B-Ball greatness on many occasions, breaking my Knicks heart over and over. It was great basketball, though.

The thing with this kid, Jeremy Lin, is that no one knew how great he might be; and I mean NO ONE. He was undrafted in 2010 and then signed by his favorite team, the Golden State Warriors. He never got much of a shot and was waived and signed by the Houston Rockets who didn't chance him either and eventually let him go, to sign a big man they thought they needed. Mike D'Antoni picked him up for the Knicks having been impressed with his Summer League play. He now sat at the end of the Knicks bench, out of the rotation.

Injuries and the uninspired play of Knicks point guard Tony Douglas and rookie Iman Shumpert, out of position at the point, left D'Antoni in risk of losing his job. The Knicks signed aging injured star Baron Davis, and he hasn't hit the hardwood yet. All this led to D'Antoni looking down his bench and giving this Harvard grad his shot, and BOY did he ever take advantage.

He scored over 20 pts and had at least 8 assists in his first 2 NBA starts, being the first player to do this since Lebron James and only the 6th player to do this since 1970. "Linsanity" took over Madison Square Garden. Even with stars Stoudemire and Carmelo not playing the Knicks were on fire. This unknown Asian-American kid outplaying every point guard he faced. On ESPN, Magic Johnson, in commentary, is comparing him to John Stockton and Steve Nash.

Everyone was waiting to see what would happen against the Kobe Bryant Lakers when they came to the Garden where Kobe once scored a Garden record 61 points. The Lakers would not be surprised by this kid, the commentators said, and this would be a defining game for Jeremy Lin.

What happened?; Jeremy Lin was the best player on the court, hands down. He got the Knicks all involved in the game, and when the Lakers stopped his pick and roll game, he calmly sank jump shot after jump shot and drove time and time again to the basket for layups, embarrassing All Star point guard Derek Fisher again and again.

Madison Square Gard-Lin is jumping; it's Lin-sane, The Knick are all-Lin, The Knicks are Lin-ing and Lin-ing every game, so far, with their new phenom point guard. Lin-sanity is ruling the Garden.

I hope it continues; it's been great to cheer this team again.

Anything can happen, but Jeremy Lin has shown great basketball I.Q. to this point. He plays the pick and roll to perfection. If he's stopped he hits the jumper. If the defense is quick to guard his jump shot, he's drove around them with an assortment of moves that results in a lay-up, a foul on the drive, or a thundering dunk by Tyson Chandler as he gets a timely quick pass from Lin.

5 games in a row with 20 plus points and the whole team playing as a team. You notice the difference when Lin is on the floor and when he's not. The Knicks are better when he's there, no doubt about it.

I just hope D'Antoni doesn't hurt this kid with too many minutes. He's playing too much. That's why he faltered at the end of the Grizzlies game. But, to his credit, he had enough to force a driving foul at the end to set up the game winning free throws.

I wouldn't doubt this kid.

Richie;

Excellent posts. He was tired last night partly due to the accelerated schedule and minutes played as you stated.

Lin has started with the best 5 games of anyone who played that position. Even better than Magic Johnson.

Although I am not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame, my guess is that he will help this team tremendously with penetration and pick and roll type plays, even with Carmel Anthony.

I will take a wait and see attitude but he cerainly has energized the Knicks fan base.

Another feel good story from someone who came out of nowhere land. I didn't even know he was on the Knicks roster but I am aware of it now!!!!!

RichieB
02-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Dave Debusschere, Earl the Pearl, Phil Jackson, and Dick Barnett.

Don't forget the bench on the 69-70 team. How about the backup center Nate Bowman, and Mike Riordan, Dave Stallworth, and Cazzie Russell. I think it was the year before when Stallworth had the heart trouble (?)

brostholder
02-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Don't forget the bench on the 69-70 team. How about the backup center Nate Bowman, and Mike Riordan, Dave Stallworth, and Cazzie Russell. I think it was the year before when Stallworth had the heart trouble (?)
Nice! I'm ashamed to put on my U of M hoodie for forgetting about Cazzie Russell. So long ago, but I sure do remember Stawllworths heart issues.

RichieB
02-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Nice! I'm ashamed to put on my U of M hoodie for forgetting about Cazzie Russell. So long ago, but I sure do remember Stawllworths heart issues.

What a team that was ! The best collection of outside shooters around, and real unselfish team players.

The team that went to the finals in 72 and won in 73 wasn't too shabby either, with Jerry Lucas playing center with that shotput style.

They did exceptionally well, especially having a small man in the middle, compared to Chamberlain and A-J.

Whalen
02-12-2012, 05:49 PM

Be still my heart...can this be true? To watch the Knicks again after all these years.

I was a big fan of the Knicks, back a long time ago.

Grew up on Brooklyn CYO Basketball. As a Kearney girl cheered for St. Augustine and watched Lew Alcinder play for Power Memorial. Who knew he would go on to become Kareem Abdul Jabar?

Watched the Knicks during the glory days, actually met Willis Reed at a company function...sports figures were much more approachable then. In later years lived in the same town as Dave Debusschere and rode to work with him on the LIRR some days, nice guy.

That was a fun walk down memory lane, thanks for listening,

RichieB
02-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Watched the Knicks during the glory days, actually met Willis Reed at a company function...sports figures were much more approachable then. In later years lived in the same town as Dave Debusschere and rode to work with him on the LIRR some days, nice guy.

I worked for NY Telephone in Garden City, and had a friend at work who was a personal friend of Dave and Geri Debusschere. When he found out what a Knick fan I was, he introduced me to Dave. I agree - what a nice man !

So sorry that he's gone now.

(There are two "B"s in Jabbar...... (just kidding)

Also had the good fortune to run into Walt Frazier in a bar outside the Garden, as well as Luther Rackley on another occasion. Rackley (six foot ten) was HUGE ! What memories !!

brostholder
02-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I say that Jeremy Lin is doing a great job just for resurrecting everyone's fond memories of those great games at the garden.

RichieB
02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I say that Jeremy Lin is doing a great job just for resurrecting everyone's fond memories of those great games at the garden.

Great games at the Garden - like May 8, 1970 - Lakers/Knicks Game 7. Willis Reed limping onto the court, and warming up.

How about the previous games where Dave DeB was playing Chamberlain !