PDA

View Full Version : Downton Abbey

uujudy
02-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Does anyone else here watch Downton Abbey?

another Linda
02-12-2012, 07:09 PM

Love it! I'm totally hooked. And it's on tonight!!

brostholder
02-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I may be the only guy that answers yes. So well done!

Midge538
02-12-2012, 07:35 PM
"Yes" ... a wonderful (an addictive) series. The costumes, the scenery, photography, the talent, all depicting the historical beginnings of a monumental change in a culture .... 'that once completely separated those Downstairs from those Upstairs. Here in the US we also once had a 'melded' culture in the US (until the 60s). Now we really have that similar 1900 growing separation .. in reverse. Vote for Mitt (Bishop Willard Romney) to preserve this change. Most of us in TV are $$ fine ... our children and grandchildren, & great grandchildren will then have to deal with the new reality they will face. "Hey, that's their problem."

ljones190
02-12-2012, 08:00 PM

We love it, we saw the first season on Netflix. We love period pieces and English Television. Suggest you try Netflix for free for 30 days and you can stream similar series as much as you want.

uujudy
02-13-2012, 12:56 AM
We love it, we saw the first season on Netflix. We love period pieces and English Television. Suggest you try Netflix for free for 30 days and you can stream similar series as much as you want.

Ljones, how does that work? Don't I need a wii or something to make it work?

jblum315
02-13-2012, 05:32 AM
yes you do need a wifi setup to get Netflix on your TV. But I think you can stream Netflix to your computer monitor without any Wifi.

ljones190
02-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Ljones, how does that work? Don't I need a wii or something to make it work?

uujudy

If you are going to watch on a Television you need hi speed internet in your home, wireless is preferred unless your router is very close to the TV. In our NJ home we have a wireless DVD player which has many services available on the system such as Netflix, Amazon, Pandora Radio and many other others, this device will cost $100.00 to 150.00. We also have a Roku device which does not play DVD's but allows you to stream movies and music with many pre-loaded services, you can buy this at Walmart or Target for about 60.00. You will need a HDMI cable. This all assumes you have a newer TV with HDMI ports. Very easy to set up and install in about 10 minutes. Netflix is $8.00 per month for streaming, it's a bargain.

graciegirl
02-13-2012, 09:16 AM
uujudy

If you are going to watch on a Television you need hi speed internet in your home, wireless is preferred unless your router is very close to the TV. In our NJ home we have a wireless DVD player which has many services available on the system such as Netflix, Amazon, Pandora Radio and many other others, this device will cost $100.00 to 150.00. We also have a Roku device which does not play DVD's but allows you to stream movies and music with many pre-loaded services, you can buy this at Walmart or Target for about 60.00. You will need a HDMI cable. This all assumes you have a newer TV with HDMI ports. Very easy to set up and install in about 10 minutes. Netflix is $8.00 per month for streaming, it's a bargain.

This explains why I haven't seen it. Our daughter is always making references to Downton Abbey. It must be worth the time and trouble to get it into that box.

Avista
02-13-2012, 09:40 AM
My husband and I never miss an episode. We are still catching up on last years episodes through iTunes. Will miss it when it concludes.

memason
02-13-2012, 09:56 AM
All the the season 2 episodes are on PBS: Public Broadcasting Service (http://www.pbs.org) for your viewing pleasure....for free. There are some season 1 episodes, but I'm not sure how many...

ljones190
02-13-2012, 10:39 AM
All the the season 2 episodes are on PBS: Public Broadcasting Service (http://www.pbs.org) for your viewing pleasure....for free. There are some season 1 episodes, but I'm not sure how many...

memmason

Yes they are the same as on PBS. We like to watch whenever we feel like it. Another show on PBS is Doc Martin which is also on Netflix, one of our all time favorites.

caseylou5
02-13-2012, 10:47 AM
My husband and I both watch and enjoy it.

BritParrothead
02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
I made an effort NOT to watch the first season, I did not think it was 'my sort of thing' !! How wrong was I ?? I started to watch the second season part way through, and was surprised how amusing some of it was! My son and my sister love it!
The house is lovely!! And it is lived in today.

Mikitv
02-14-2012, 05:59 PM
I have been watching it since last year and totally hooked. Season three promises to be just as good.

We never miss it on Sunday night even if we have to record it. Just love it.

Cynbod
02-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I always DVR it here in NYC. I will be in TV this weekend, when will it be on? I have DirectTV both in NY and TV, but in TV I cannot locate the correct channel for PBS.

jblum315
02-14-2012, 08:32 PM
On Direct TV it is channel 68, WUCF in Orlando, and it's always Sunday night at 9 p.m.

Cynbod
02-14-2012, 08:52 PM
On Direct TV it is channel 68, WUCF in Orlando, and it's always Sunday night at 9 p.m.

Thank You, I'll be watching on Sunday evening down with you all. :a040::a040:

Pturner
02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Never seen it; but after all these rave reviews, I plan to watch.

Avista
02-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Never seen it; but after all these rave reviews, I plan to watch.

Try to catch Season One Episode One to give you an orientation to the characters and start to the story line.

Boudicca
02-15-2012, 08:12 AM
I was born in the UK, but have lived in the US for 40 plus years - Am a proud American Citizen. However, my maternal grandparents would talk about "the old days" (in England) and my great grand mother lived long enough to see the use of a motor car, and watch man land on the moon. Great grandma, and her husband both worked for titled people. G Grandma was a cook, and g grandpa was a chauffeur, beginning with horse and carriage, and later, driving a motor car. In his "spare time" g grandpa was also the gardener. Their daughter, my grandmother, worked at a very young age, as the scullery maid, and her first chore in the morning, was to clean out the fireplace. While they all spoke fondly of their employers, they were glad (but scared) of their eventual "freedom" when WWI changed the ways of the world. Downton Abbey captures the two different worlds as I heard of them, beautifully. I watch it with a new appreciation of my hard working great grandparents, and my grandmother. When my grandmother learned I was leaving England, she said "good for you, go and enjoy yourself in a country where everyone is the same". I know that was a rather naive statement, but she got the drift.

downeaster
02-15-2012, 11:48 AM
According to The Movie Data Base, Shirley McClain will join the cast in season three as Cora Crawley's American mother. I expect she and Maggie Smith, playing Cora's mother-in-law, along with creator/writer Julian Fellowes, will come up with some great lines.

Downton Abbey may prove to be Masterpiece Theater's greatest hit.

uujudy
02-15-2012, 08:43 PM
I was born in the UK, but have lived in the US for 40 plus years - Am a proud American Citizen. However, my maternal grandparents would talk about "the old days" (in England) and my great grand mother lived long enough to see the use of a motor car, and watch man land on the moon. Great grandma, and her husband both worked for titled people. G Grandma was a cook, and g grandpa was a chauffeur, beginning with horse and carriage, and later, driving a motor car. In his "spare time" g grandpa was also the gardener. Their daughter, my grandmother, worked at a very young age, as the scullery maid, and her first chore in the morning, was to clean out the fireplace. While they all spoke fondly of their employers, they were glad (but scared) of their eventual "freedom" when WWI changed the ways of the world. Downton Abbey captures the two different worlds as I heard of them, beautifully. I watch it with a new appreciation of my hard working great grandparents, and my grandmother. When my grandmother learned I was leaving England, she said "good for you, go and enjoy yourself in a country where everyone is the same". I know that was a rather naive statement, but she got the drift.

Shrandell, thanks so much for sharing your story! You can be our resident expert whenever we have questions about the program. :icon_wink:

pooh
02-15-2012, 09:46 PM
With all the good reviews here, I knew I just had to watch it. Have started on Season 1 on Netflix.....glad to know season 2 is on PBS web site, thanks Mike.

May I also put in a recommendation for Doc Martin. First 4 seasons are available on DVD, not sure how many now on Netflix...that's where I watched the first 4 seasons. Also watched Season 5 on You Tube before it was removed.

Now back to episode 3 of Downton Abbey!

uujudy
02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
. . . May I also put in a recommendation for Doc Martin. First 4 seasons are available on DVD, not sure how many now on Netflix...that's where I watched the first 4 seasons. Also watched Season 5 on You Tube before it was removed.

Now back to episode 3 of Downton Abbey!

Pooh, I googled Doc Martin, and it sounds wonderful! I see that it's available on Hulu, and I definitely have to learn about Netflix.too. Thanks for the recommendation!

Boudicca
02-15-2012, 10:37 PM
OMG, we are SO hooked on poor,quirky Doc Martin. Can you say "Aspergers?"

BritParrothead
02-16-2012, 03:28 AM
Doc Martin is fantastic! Love it, love it. Never miss an episode.
The village, 'Port Wen', is actually Port Isaac, we visit here when we can, it is lovely before all the tourists arrive :icon_wink:
My husband played rugby for a Cornish club, so he has an affinity with the place.
There are a group of local fishermen called Fishermans Friends, who started a choir, they sing old sea shanties, and sometimes you can see them in the show.
Another English TV show I saw when we were over in October, was New Tricks. Very entertaining, see if you can find that.

jblum315
02-16-2012, 05:42 AM
The village, 'Port Wen', is actually Port Isaac, we visit here when we can, it is lovely before all the tourists arrive :icon_wink:
My husband played rugby for a Cornish club, so he has an affinity with the place.
There are a group of local fishermen called Fishermans Friends, who started a choir, they sing old sea shanties, and sometimes you can see them in the show.
Another English TV show I saw when we were over in October, was New Tricks. Very entertaining, see if you can find that.

Gee, is Doc Martin still running? I saw the first 2 seasons and loved it. Don't know if I can get it here

BritParrothead
02-16-2012, 05:54 AM
We are waiting for the new season (6) to start, quite soon i hope. Will not tell you about what you have yet to watch :icon_wink:

Daisy
02-16-2012, 08:44 AM
On my Directv its WBBC CH 68 @ 9:00 and search "Masterpiece Classic" not Downtown Abbey if you're having trouble finding it.

Taltarzac725
03-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Got the DVD of entire Downton Abbey from the Lake County Library system. Really interesting characters as well as plots in this show. Wished I understood the law on the entail though. I am only on Episode 1 of the First Season so maybe it will get a little clearer.

I taped the entire 2nd Season but wanted to watch the First Season first.

Thanks for the recommendation of this fine show. Had heard good things about it from other people here in the Villages as well.

Midge538
03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Wished I understood the law on the entail though. I am .

Downton Abbey Entailed?
Are you as baffled by the entail in Downton Abbey as its fictional characters the Crawley family? Any Jane Austen fan worth their weight in syllabub will have the answer for you. It also helps if they are a practicing attorney. Please welcome Janeite, lawyer and Downton Abbey fan James F. Nagle today. He has kindly agreed to explain all the property law issues that fuel the plot in this new hit series currently airing on Masterpiece Classic PBS. Downton Abbey has millions of viewers entranced, and Jane Austen aficionados glad they previously researched English primogeniture law.
Laurel Ann asked me to write a short blog on the legal subtleties of Downton Abbey.
Basically, Lord Robert, the Earl of Grantham, is the head of Downton Abbey, a magnificent estate, in the Crawley family for centuries. The Earl and his wife had no sons which is a major problem because the estate is entailed to a male heir. While the time is 1912, the laws on inheritance mirror those in Jane Austen’s time. (Major changes would occur later in the century but that is another story.)
It is vital to understand the importance that ownership of an estate had, both in 1912 and in the Regency-era. More than just a home, it made a family part of the aristocracy or gentry. Historically, the land produced a steady income that freed the family from having to earn its living by daily effort. They could dabble in the arts, become involved in politics, or lead a life of idleness.
This gave land a cachet that went beyond cash or movable goods. It was not only the major source of wealth in an agricultural community; it was the ultimate status symbol, not just for one person for one generation, but on the family so long as it lasted. Owning land was essentially a sacred trust for land owners. They held the land in trust for their future generations and thus had a duty to preserve what had been passed on to them.
Today when we think of family, we think of spouses, children, parents, grandchildren. But in Jane Austen’s time and in 1912, “family” was a much broader abstract concept with individuals as interchangeable commodities. How else can you explain making sure that property goes only to a male heir, including probably someone that you’ve never met? The present owner or occupant was merely a temporary custodian for the next family member.

The Earl and Countess of Grantham married for convenience. Her dowry fueled the struggling estate and his title made her an aristocrat by marriage and her children by birth.
That love of the estate and duty to the generic family is a main plot driver. The Earl had married a rich American, Cora, to secure her fortune to run the estate. This was by no means unusual. Many members of the aristocracy had become “land poor” by the early days of the 20th Century. These gorgeous estates, which required a battalion of servants, had been self-sustaining for centuries. Now they needed an influx of cash to be kept up. Hence, the drive to marry for money intensified. That brings us to a discussion of women’s rights which, especially regarding property, were severely limited.
Periodically you will hear that women could not own property in Jane Austen’s time. This is not accurate. Certainly Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Lady Russell, or Mrs. Ferrars owned property. If there was a husband, the woman could not normally own property. It was subsumed into him. Blackstone, in his commentaries written in the 1760s put it this way: “By marriage, the husband and wife are one person in law; that is, the very being or legal existence of the woman is suspended during the marriage, or at least is incorporated and consolidated into that of the husband . . .”
Two dangers threatened a landed estate: 1) Division. If an estate were divided equally between all sons or children over several generations, then an estate, originally sufficient to make its holder a member of the gentry, became a multitude of increasingly smaller farms that, individually, didn’t qualify descendents for the same social status; and 2) Dissipation. If the head of the family (a wastrel or a foolish speculator) were to sell, voluntarily or forced by creditors, his land to raise funds, and then fritter away the sales proceeds, the whole family sinks into obscurity, obviously not only an embarrassment but a breach of faith to one’s ancestors and descendants. Primogeniture was devised to eliminate division. Entailments were devised to combat dissipation.
With that background, it is perfectly logical and reasonable for a landowner to give the estate to one child. Moreover, it then becomes perfectly logical to give it to the oldest child. That way, the future squire of the manor can be designated at birth.
Finally, considering what was said earlier about women’s rights, it makes little sense to give it to a daughter. If the Earl gave it to a daughter and she marries someone, a Mr. Wickham, for example, he does not merely have access to the estate, it becomes his estate; it is subsumed within him. So for these reasons, the practice of primogeniture began which keeps the estate intact and under the control of the head of the family in each generation.

A picture of Chawton Manor House circa 1913, the same era as Downton Abbey’s setting. Jane Austen’s elder brother Edward inherited the estate in 1794, not from his father, but from a cousin, Thomas Knight, who without any children made Edward his heir. The estate had previously passed down in the family through the female line because the property was fee simple and not entailed. (editor’s note)
While primogeniture was the preferred inheritance method, it was not the absolute law.
The best example in Jane’s writings of a departure from primogeniture was Mrs. Ferrars in Sense and Sensibility. Unhappy with her son Edward Ferrars’ choices, she simply wrote him out of the will and gave it to his younger brother, Robert.
The Earl of Grantham has no sons but three daughters—Mary, Edith, and Sybil (shades of P&P!!). Miss O’Brien, Cora’s maid says that women cannot inherit. That is not correct. They cannot inherit the title but if the Earl owned Downton Abbey outright (in fee simple absolute) he could leave it to his wife or his three daughters and ignore the rule on primogeniture.
Unfortunately, the Earl does not own the estate outright. It is entailed. An entail was a legal device to ensure that property would be handed down in a way that suited the ancestor, normally to a male heir, thus keeping the family estate intact.
In the entail system, the property owner, The Earl’s father, does not pass it in fee simple to the son. The Earl has a life estate, meaning he has the full use of the property during his life and, at the end of his life, it will pass to his son or to someone else in the family- often the closest male heir.
The Earl had a good relationship with the heir, his first cousin James Crawley, and there was even an engagement between the Earl’s oldest daughter Mary and the heirs son Patrick. However, the heir and his son have both perished on the Titanic. So the new heir, Matthew Crawley, is a lawyer with no previous relationship to the Earl. At the Earl’s death, the new heir gets the estate, including Cora’s money!!!! That is the main plot driver in the story – how to break the entail.
When I read that the characters were trying to get out of the entail, I assumed they were talking about “cutting off” the entail, which was common in Austen’s time and is mentioned in P&P as Mrs. Bennet’s plan when she first married Mr. Bennet. The way to cutoff an entail would be for an agreement of a current tenant and the next male heir, who would then hope to do the same with his heirs.

Violet, the Dowager Countess of Grantham wants to “smash” the entail and joins forces with her daughter-in-law to advocate her son to pursue legal methods.
However, having seen the first episode, that is not what is going on. As Maggie Smith’s character, The Dowager Duchess of Grantham, states, they want the entail to “be smashed” – not a precise legal term. The Dowager and Cora want to separate Cora’s money from the building and lands of Downton Abbey, so that Cora and her daughters will retain the money, or what is left of it, that she brought into the marriage. Therein lies the difficulty. As stated above, typically a woman’s property was subsumed within that of her husband’s at the point of the marriage. It could, however, be fenced off by means of a trust or other legal document. That “loophole” is what the Dowager and Cora are trying to find. However, the family lawyer, Murray, has no hope.
He opines to the Earl that the Earl’s father had “tied the knots pretty tight” when the Earl and Cora were married. I take that to mean that he had drafted an agreement by which Cora’s money was unquestionably and irrevocably transferred to the husband and therefore to the estate with no hope of successfully challenging it. I presume that the document is not so patently one-sided that a judge would throw it out as unconscionable. It probably had enough legal language to indicate that Cora was receiving something valuable in return and that portions were being settled on any future daughters (the Earl mentions this in his conversations with the Duke of Crowborough). So any reviewing judge might well conclude that while the agreement might have unfortunate consequences now, it was not unconscionably one-sided at the time of drafting and signing.
Indeed, it is that legal conclusion that forced the Earl not to even attempt a challenge. First, it would be a waste of time and money. Second, even if he were successful, the title, land and buildings would go to Matthew, the new heir, but the money needed to maintain the property would be kept by Cora. As a result, Downton Abbey would fall into disrepair and therefore disrepute and the new heir might be forced to sell it off in total or in part. This, the Earl concludes, is a breach of that sacred trust to the family and to the surrounding community, which is obviously so dear to him.

Taltarzac725
03-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks, Midge. That's a lot of information. Think I got it. Have to watch some more Downton Abbey episodes to see.

uujudy
03-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Wow

REDCART
05-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks for mentioning Downton Abbey here. It's a really great series. I got hooked very quickly on Season 1 and watched all seven episodes over the last two days. Thankfully my wife bought the first two seasons on DVD from Amazon. It's very well done.

George

uujudy
05-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Glad you're enjoying Downton Abbey! I just discovered how to use Hulu, and I watched 3 episodes from the first season of Doc Martin tonight. Thanks to all who recommended it! I love it! Thank you!

LittleDog
05-06-2012, 06:24 AM
Glad you're enjoying Downton Abbey! I just discovered how to use Hulu, and I watched 3 episodes from the first season of Doc Martin tonight. Thanks to all who recommended it! I love it! Thank you!

My wife and I are big fans of Doc Martin. We've got the next season back ordered on Amazon. My wife is really interested in anything Cornwall.

John

carol_piirto
05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Can't wait for the next season. Saw the 1st on Netflix and the second on PBS. I thought there were only two but I see someone's comment that they are waiting for season 6(?)
I think it's totally unexpected that both young and old love Downton Abbey. It's fun to be able to share it with your daughter. Enjoy.:)

REDCART
05-06-2012, 02:34 PM
I thought there were only two but I see someone's comment that they are waiting for season 6?

My understanding is there have only been two seasons of Downton Abbey. PBS will air Season 3 in the fall. Some of the confusion may be that they refer to episodes as "Part 1, Part 2, etc. rather than as episode 1, episode 2, etc. So perhaps the earlier post was referring to Part 6? Watching any series on DVD, IMHO beats watching it on TV. I hate waiting from week to week, and the story (and my memory) flows better.

George

BritParrothead
05-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Season 6 was for Doc Martin.
Hope it will be on TV quite soon!
I saw a property for sale today, in Port Isaac, (Port Wen) What an increase in real estate over the past few years!!

uujudy
05-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Oh Brit! You're in big trouble! Thanks to your recommendation I've wasted almost an entire week watching EVERY episode of Doc Martin from season 1 through season 4 on Hulu! I can't wait for season 5 to become available, and you say there's also a season 6!

I love this program, but the chores are piling up at my house, and I blame you and your wonderful recommendation. :thumbup:
Thanks a lot! :wave:
Judy
PS: I will NOT search for New Tricks. I will not search for New Tricks. I will not..