PDA

View Full Version : Gary Carter - RIP

tkret
02-16-2012, 06:52 PM
The Kid has left the stadium. No one in baseball had a better smile or a better attitude towards the game. Really sorry to see another great one go home. Only 57 years young.

eremite06
02-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Great guy. He was a member of a church we attended in Palm Beach Gardens, Fl. A true gentleman, one of the best catchers in baseball. RIP, Gary!!!

brostholder
02-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Oh no...how sad! Even we Yankee fans loved the kid. RIP kid!

CFrance
02-16-2012, 08:50 PM
We were the only Mets fans on the street of our North Jersey neighborhood during the 1986 World Series. You would think since they were playing the hated Sox, those Yankee diehards would have rooted for them. But no!

What a blast that series was. Farewell, Gary Carter.

RichieB
02-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Oh no...how sad! Even we Yankee fans loved the kid. RIP kid!

Agreed ! :sad:

RichieB
02-16-2012, 10:09 PM
We were the only Mets fans on the street of our North Jersey neighborhood during the 1986 World Series. You would think since they were playing the hated Sox, those Yankee diehards would have rooted for them. But no!

What a blast that series was. Farewell, Gary Carter.

And guess who got the hit that started the rally in game 6......

That WAS a great series - another case of "It ain't over til it's over."

I find myself to be a NY sports fan, but Yankees first, Mets second.

Thanks for the memories, Kid.

aljetmet
02-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Gary Carter was a great player, leader, teammate and person. I thoroughly enjoyed him during the 1986 season. RIP Kid!

brostholder
02-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Growing up on Long Island, our family was divided between Met fans and Yankee fans. My dad was friends with Mrs. Peyson's chauffer (she was the owner of the mets) and we used to get press box tickets to Met games from him. So even though my first love was the Yanks, I also enjoyed the Mets and went to many games. After being touched by hearing of Gary Carters passing, I called my brother in New York and we reminisced about all the Met players we remembered. Of course, Casey Stengel was the first manager. Then there were Marv Throneberry (who epitomized the futility of those early days), Ed Kranepool, Ron Hunt, Roy McMillan, Bud Harrelson, Choo Choo Coleman, Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Tommy Agee, Daryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Jerry Grote and so many more. I even remember seeing Willie Mays and (I think) Gil Hodges in a Mets uniform. And don't forget Ralph Kiner and that sports coat!

RichieB
02-17-2012, 07:28 AM
You think correctly on Gil Hodges. He was their opening day first baseman. Look at that first lineup and you will see a bunch of guys wrapping up their careers. Richie Ashburn, CF; Roger Craig was the starting pitcher. And, yes, Marvelous Marv Throneberry was emblematic of the futility of the NY Mets at that time.

Had a friend who was a rabid Mets fan from day one. Don't know why, but his favorite player was Elio Chacon.

RichieB
02-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Richie Ashburn CF
Felix Mantilla SS
Charlie Neal 2B
Frank Thomas LF (no, not that Frank Thomas)
Gus Bell RF
Gil Hodges 1B
Don Zimmer 3B
Hobie Landrith C
Roger Craig P

lost 11-4 to the St. Louis Cardinals :sad:

2BNTV
02-17-2012, 08:30 AM
I am a diehard Yankee fan but consider myself a New York based team fan. If the Yankees are not in the World Series, I will root for the Mets and in 86, I was rooting for the Mets. I'll never understand why Met fans hate the Yankees and visa versa.

Gary Carter galvanized the 86 Mets with his leadership and exemplary team first attitude. A class act who left us too young.

RIP - KId.

RichieB
02-17-2012, 08:42 AM
:agree on all counts.

I actually went to two Mets games and one Yankee game last season.

2BNTV
02-17-2012, 08:56 AM
I only enjoy going to Yankee games with my son. Since he is in Florida and I am in CT, we haven't had a chance to go to the new Yankee Stadium.

I wish they had upgraded Yankee stadium again. I like thinking of being in the same place as Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle and Berra inhabited.

My chance of going to the new Mets Stadium is greater as a friend of mine has wanted to go down. It was modeled after the old Ebbetts Field. I sure wish my older family members had taken me before they were torn down. Oh Well!!!

I heard on the radio this morning that Gary Carter was the heir apparent to Johnny Bench. Brain cancer is a tough thing to go through as my cousin was recently diagnosed. Gary put up a tough fight but obviously lost his battle. At least he is not in pain anymore.

RIP - Gary

RichieB
02-17-2012, 10:08 AM
I wish they had upgraded Yankee stadium again. I like thinking of being in the same place as Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle and Berra inhabited.

I agree; there is something to be said for that. The old Yankee Stadium - one of the "cathedrals" of baseball, as Billy Crystal said.

I remember my dad taking me to my first game in the 50's. Those were the days when people in the lower stands could exit via the field, out through the bullpens in right and left field. When the game was over, Dad started leading me up the stands. I said, "Daa-aa-aad........ let's go out this way," pointing to the field.

Kansas City won 11-7, scoring 7 runs in the first inning, and deflating this kid for the afternoon. Mickey Mantle hit a home run, though.

I'll never forget it.

2BNTV
02-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Gary Carter dead much too young as NY Mets family mourns the loss of this Amazin (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/gary-carter-dead-young-ny-mets-family-mourns-loss-amazin-kid-article-1.1024108)

I hope you enjoy this article.

brostholder
02-17-2012, 11:34 AM
You think correctly on Gil Hodges. He was their opening day first baseman. Look at that first lineup and you will see a bunch of guys wrapping up their careers. Richie Ashburn, CF; Roger Craig was the starting pitcher. And, yes, Marvelous Marv Throneberry was emblematic of the futility of the NY Mets at that time.

Had a friend who was a rabid Mets fan from day one. Don't know why, but his favorite player was Elio Chacon.
I forgot about Roger Craig and his 20 game losing season. My favorite Throneberry story was about a pop up hit to the first base side. Marv yells I got it and starts running towards the pitcher mound. The ball landed untouched by the first base bag.

CFrance
02-17-2012, 09:17 PM
The Bad Guys Won! A Season of Brawling, Boozing, Bimbo-chasing, and Championship Baseball with Straw, Doc, Mookie, Nails, The Kid, and the Rest of the 1986 Mets, the Rowdiest Team Ever to Put on a New York Uniform--and Maybe the Best http://www.amazon.com/Brawling-Bimbo-chasing-Championship-Baseball-Uniform/dp/B0009SRZCO/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1

We rented an apartment in Tuscany a few years back, and this book was on the swap shelf. It was terrific. I blew through it in a night. Love the Mets.

coralway
02-17-2012, 09:23 PM
The Bad Guys Won! A Season of Brawling, Boozing, Bimbo-chasing, and Championship Baseball with Straw, Doc, Mookie, Nails, The Kid, and the Rest of the 1986 Mets, the Rowdiest Team Ever to Put on a New York Uniform--and Maybe the Best http://www.amazon.com/Brawling-Bimbo-chasing-Championship-Baseball-Uniform/dp/B0009SRZCO/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1

We rented an apartment in Tuscany a few years back, and this book was on the swap shelf. It was terrific. I blew through it in a night. Love the Mets.

The '86 Mets gave Buckner a full share. After all, He was their MVP.

brostholder
02-18-2012, 06:43 AM
I only enjoy going to Yankee games with my son. Since he is in Florida and I am in CT, we haven't had a chance to go to the new Yankee Stadium.

My chance of going to the new Mets Stadium is greater as a friend of mine has wanted to go down. It was modeled after the old Ebbetts Field. I sure wish my older family members had taken me before they were torn down. Oh Well!!!

I heard on the radio this morning that Gary Carter was the heir apparent to Johnny Bench. Brain cancer is a tough thing to go through as my cousin was recently diagnosed. Gary put up a tough fight but obviously lost his battle. At least he is not in pain anymore.

RIP - Gary
I went to opening day at the Stadium last year. Forty Dollars for parking, over $100 per ticket, and we froze our butts off!!! But now that I live in Florida, I knew that my opportunities to go to the Stadium would be few. I have been to hundreds of games at the Stadium and I wanted to make sure I went to at least one in the new Stadium. The Stadium is beautiful and first class all the way. Maybe I'm getting cynical, but it seems like everything has gone "corporate" now. The prices are ridiculously expensive. Long gone are the days when you can cut school and go see a day game for a couple of dollars.

RichieB
02-18-2012, 07:09 AM
My dad and I would decide on the spur of the moment to go to a Sunday doubleheader (remember those ?). You could walk up to the ticket booth on most any day and get very good seats, no advance purchase required. Not any more.