PDA

View Full Version : Mariano Rivera Retiring?

2BNTV
02-21-2012, 03:20 PM
"Say it ain't so Mo".

Several article says Mo is hinting a retiring after this year. The greatest reliever of all time. Any baseball fan would agree that he is special. I remember the Minnesota Twins manager Tom Kelly saying something like, I don't know what league he's in but he sure isn't in our league.

Yankee fans enjoy watching him this year. I don't think we will ever see someone as great as he is ever again.

Bets wishes to Mo and his family. His being separated from his family seems to be his main motivation. Also a health scare was factored into the decision.

Mo is not saying it exactly but we'll see................

BostonCelt
02-21-2012, 04:19 PM
"Say it ain't so Mo"......

Ooooh, NOOO!! Now the Red Sox will NEVER beat the Yankees!

RichieB
02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
My guess is that he will be packin' it in.

Good timing - they've got Soriano, and they'll give him a nice fat contract.

RichieB
02-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Just heard that NYY signed Raul Ibanez as DH/OF.

39 years old .245/20HR/84RBI ........ who knows ?!

Tom Hannon
02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Just heard that NYY signed Raul Ibanez as DH/OF.

39 years old .245/20HR/84RBI ........ who knows ?!

Eric Chavez is the missing piece of the puzzle. He did a great job last year filling in for AROID. Hope the Yankees and Chavez can come to a $$$$ figure that makes everyone happy.

As far as MO. Yes, he most likely retire after 2012. A great career. The main reason why the Yankees won so many championships. I thought Eckersley and Rollie Fingers were the best ever until Mo came along.

RichieB
02-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Eric Chavez is the missing piece of the puzzle. He did a great job last year filling in for AROID. Hope the Yankees and Chavez can come to a $$$$ figure that makes everyone happy.

:agree:

Chavez did a credible job last year. Hope they can bring him back.

:beer3:

Bucco
02-21-2012, 07:59 PM

I think they will....today, Girardi referred to him in the present tense...when called on it, he corrected and said he hoped...yeah, as per Girardi, he allows a lot of flexibility !!!

waynet
02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Jeter should go with him.

RichieB
02-21-2012, 11:06 PM

Why ?

Tom Hannon
02-22-2012, 05:15 AM

Jeter still has something left. He is a class act. He may not be the Jeter of a years back but still a great clutch hitter and STILL one of the top ten shortstops in baseball. Although Robinson Cano is the best infielder the Yankee now have, Derek will not hurt the team. The Mets and The Red Sox wish they had him.

Tom Hannon
02-22-2012, 06:02 AM

It's official! The Yankees signed Chavez late last night. Of course, passing the physical is a requirement but I don't see that being an issue. All the pieces of the puzzle are put together. The team looks stronger than last year.

PS: Anyone taking the bus tour to the Yankee/Phillie game on March 30th?

Bucco
02-22-2012, 09:54 AM
It's official! The Yankees signed Chavez late last night. Of course, passing the physical is a requirement but I don't see that being an issue. All the pieces of the puzzle are put together. The team looks stronger than last year.

PS: Anyone taking the bus tour to the Yankee/Phillie game on March 30th?

THREE question marks in my opinion....

Teixiera has got to get the average up this year without sacrificing much in the way of power

While pitching does not seem to be as "fragmented" as last year, they need to get it settled down early and keep an eye on Hughes (can he come back), Nova (will he falter after last year) and how strong will Pineda be in New York.

And lastly, Rodriguez......will he be able to help with power numbers.

Graytop
02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
"Say it ain't so Mo".

Several article says Mo is hinting a retiring after this year. The greatest reliever of all time. Any baseball fan would agree that he is special. I remember the Minnesota Twins manager Tom Kelly saying something like, I don't know what league he's in but he sure isn't in our league.

Yankee fans enjoy watching him this year. I don't think we will ever see someone as great as he is ever again.

Bets wishes to Mo and his family. His being separated from his family seems to be his main motivation. Also a health scare was factored into the decision.

Mo is not saying it exactly but we'll see................

The rest of the baseball world can only hope so!:wave: That guy has been the best closer in baseball consistently for years. It is sad when one of the great ones walks away....

ajbrown
02-22-2012, 10:49 AM
I do not watch Mr. Rivera alot, but he was usually unhittable when I saw him. Forgetting his pitching for a second, the memory that always stays with me was more about his character. It was opening day at Fenway in 2005 when during introductions the crowd gave him a very rousing cheer, razzing him for his role in our first world series in 86 years.

He tipped his cap, went with the flow and laughed which told me alot about the man and his sense of humor. I like it when great athletes, who are serious competitors on the field, can step above the fray and have fun with it.

Tom Hannon
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
I do not watch Mr. Rivera alot, but he was usually unhittable when I saw him. Forgetting his pitching for a second, the memory that always stays with me was more about his character. It was opening day at Fenway in 2005 when during introductions the crowd gave him a very rousing cheer, razzing him for his role in our first world series in 86 years.

He tipped his cap, went with the flow and laughed which told me alot about the man and his sense of humor. I like it when great athletes, who are serious competitors on the field, can step above the fray and have fun with it.

Mariano is not only a great pitcher...he is a great human being. He will be missing in the baseball world.

RichieB
02-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Mariano is not only a great pitcher...he is a great human being. He will be missing in the baseball world.

I have a feeling that he will be back doing something for NYY, maybe after a short period of being away. Same with Posada.

Tom Hannon
02-22-2012, 06:09 PM

And lastly, Rodriguez......will he be able to help with power numbers.

Signing and resigning AROID was a big mistake

Bucco
02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Signing and resigning AROID was a big mistake

I agree totally !!!!! He is now going to be a Yankee for a long time....it appears that one of the Steinbrenner sons "fell in love" !

Tom Hannon
02-22-2012, 06:33 PM
And the new generation so called baseball fans will one day call AROID one of the greatest Yankees of all time. AROID was never a Yankee. Never will be. Mickey, The Babe, Joe D, Yogi, Whitey, The Scooter, Allie Reynolds, Lou Gehrig, Dickey, Jeter, Mariano, Mattingly, Randolph, and I assume Cano will be considered great Yankees. AROID???? No F****n way. Not in my book anyway

Bucco
02-22-2012, 06:46 PM
And the new generation so called baseball fans will one day call AROID one of the greatest Yankees of all time. AROID was never a Yankee. Never will be. Mickey, The Babe, Joe D, Yogi, Whitey, The Scooter, Allie Reynolds, Lou Gehrig, Dickey, Jeter, Mariano, Mattingly, Randolph, and I assume Cano will be considered great Yankees. AROID???? No F****n way. Not in my book anyway

You are not alone, and while some of it is because of the way baseball has changed, most is how he has carried himself his entire career.

Tom Hannon
02-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Most of the people I mentioned were not only great players, they were model citizens. Okay maybe Mick and The Babe had their issues but they played at a different time and were so good they could get away with it. AROID is president of his own fan club.