PDA

View Full Version : The King--What do you make out of Elvis' handwriting analysis?

Taltarzac725
02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
A few days ago an interesting subject came up. This was Elvis' handwriting.

I got to talking to a lady at the local dog park about handwriting analysis. She seemed big on it. It seems like you would get widely differing results from different analysts IMHO.

It does look interesting though. Could be fitting the theory to meet the facts rather than getting a theory from the facts though.

Here's a link to some of Elvis' handwriting--

Elvis Presley (http://www.handwritinglady.com/archives/elvis.htm)

Not sure if you can do a psychoanalysis just from someone's handwriting.

Lizzie Borden's handwriting analysis is very interesting. http://www.handwritinglady.com/archives/lizzie.htm I wonder what Casey Anthony's would show??

Uptown Girl
02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
My opinion is there can be certain subconscious arch-type handwriting strokes, and perhaps possible scenarios may be offered as to general personality traits.

I have seen examples of paintings where progression of mental illness or brain dysfunction changes how the artist paints and some arch typical strokes begin to emerge on the canvas as time goes by. (Schizophrenia or Alzheimer's for example)

But so many physical things can affect our handwriting.... pain, (even migraine) injury, progressive disease (arthritis or macular degeneration for example) not to mention chemically altered states of consciousness....

it makes me wonder how much those kind of physical conditions would affect the analysis, if they were not revealed to the analyst beforehand.

We have no way of knowing, for example, what Elvis' physical condition was at the moment of writing a note to then President Nixon.

I remember trying on a couple different occasions to sign my own admission papers to a hospital.... once when I was in advanced labor. I couldn't believe how affected my own handwriting was. I wouldn't have recognized my own signature, had I not seen myself write it.

That said, I DID try the test from the site you posted. ..... gotta wait for my email results to see if my personality can be discerned..... :angel:

Taltarzac725
02-29-2012, 08:10 AM
My opinion is there can be certain subconscious arch-type handwriting strokes, and perhaps possible scenarios may be offered as to general personality traits.

I have seen examples of paintings where progression of mental illness or brain dysfunction changes how the artist paints and some arch typical strokes begin to emerge on the canvas as time goes by. (Schizophrenia or Alzheimer's for example)

But so many physical things can affect our handwriting.... pain, (even migraine) injury, progressive disease (arthritis or macular degeneration for example) not to mention chemically altered states of consciousness....

it makes me wonder how much those kind of physical conditions would affect the analysis, if they were not revealed to the analyst beforehand.

We have no way of knowing, for example, what Elvis' physical condition was at the moment of writing a note to then President Nixon.

I remember trying on a couple different occasions to sign my own admission papers to a hospital.... once when I was in advanced labor. I couldn't believe how affected my own handwriting was. I wouldn't have recognized my own signature, had I not seen myself write it.

That said, I DID try the test from the site you posted. ..... gotta wait for my email results to see if my personality can be discerned..... :angel:

Good thoughtful post Uptown Girl.

I looked at a handwriting analysis for Casey Anthony from an expert, Michelle Dresbold, which basically said from her writing sample she was either a monk/nun or a playboy/playgirl. Either kept her sex drive in close check or let it run amok in other words. http://www.michelledresbold.com/handwriting_casey_anthony.html http://www.michelledresbold.com/handwriting_casey_anthony_2.html

I was wondering how they get these samples to base such-and-such a personality trait on? Do they look at nuns and see what their handwriting looks like and then go from there. Priests? Do not get me started on priests. Playboys? How do you know which is the driving force in a playboy's personality. Id, superego, ego?? Just using Freud as a starting point with his id, superego, and ego. For instance, the Playboy magnate Hugh Hefner certainly looks like a playboy but he is so much more than that.

KayakerNC
02-29-2012, 08:39 AM
A few days ago an interesting subject came up. This was Elvis' handwriting.
I got to talking to a lady at the local dog park about handwriting analysis. She seemed big on it. It seems like you would get widely differing results from different analysts IMHO.
It does look interesting though. Could be fitting the theory to meet the facts rather than getting a theory from the facts though.
Not sure if you can do a psychoanalysis just from someone's handwriting.

I think that handwriting analysis shows more about our personality (gullibility) than the personality traits of Elvis, or any other celebrity. :icon_wink:

Uptown Girl
02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Well, I got my email handwriting analysis and it was generalized (of course) but interesting!

In my observation, and from my own history, many artsy people develop their own style, on purpose. I change my own handwriting to a degree to accommodate the occasion. BUT I know people who write exactly the way they were taught, with no personalized anything. Guess that says something right there...

In this new age, where cursive writing is being thought of as tedious and unnecessary (they have mulled the idea of dropping it from schools) I imagine this 'tool' of analysis will eventually be ineffectual altogether, except for us 'old fogeys' who still write.
I can imagine a day when our great-grandchildren will have a hard time deciphering our handwritten memoirs!

Taltarzac725
02-29-2012, 12:32 PM
I think that handwriting analysis shows more about our personality (gullibility) than the personality traits of Elvis, or any other celebrity. :icon_wink:

That makes more sense, kayakerNC. I still check my horoscope almost every day even though it is so vague that it could mean anything.

Taltarzac725
02-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Well, I got my email handwriting analysis and it was generalized (of course) but interesting!

In my observation, and from my own history, many artsy people develop their own style, on purpose. I change my own handwriting to a degree to accommodate the occasion. BUT I know people who write exactly the way they were taught, with no personalized anything. Guess that says something right there...

In this new age, where cursive writing is being thought of as tedious and unnecessary (they have mulled the idea of dropping it from schools) I imagine this 'tool' of analysis will eventually be ineffectual altogether, except for us 'old fogeys' who still write.
I can imagine a day when our great-grandchildren will have a hard time deciphering our handwritten memoirs!

I tried to do one of those handwriting tests online but my writing with a mouse is always going to be quite different than that of when I use a pen. I just kept on putting up big blocky letters with the mouse online test.

You are right about artsy people. My handwriting changes with what I am doing.

Taltarzac725
03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Michelle Dresbold - Welcome to my Web site! (http://www.michelledresbold.com/syndicated_column.html)

This column was very interesting. http://www.michelledresbold.com/handwriting_human_polygraph.html

Would think that her book would be interesting too. http://www.michelledresbold.com/book.html. I will have to see if the Lake County Library System has a copy of this book Sex, Lies, and Handwriting and if not put in a suggestion that they buy one.

Nothing I have seen looks particularly scientific though. Looks mostly like the art of psychology. I am not sure how you would prove any of these theories false which seems like a true test of whether some theory is scientific or not.