PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read the Art of Racing in the Rain?

Taltarzac725
04-09-2012, 10:15 AM
The Art of Racing in the Rain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Racing_in_the_Rain)

Got a recommendation for this book from a fellow dog lover. Had not heard of it before. Have any TOTVers read this book? What did you think?

angiefox10
04-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Loved it. It was on the best sellers list for a long time. It starts off strange but stick with it. You will be glad you did. It's a fast read as once you get into it, you won't put it down.

villages07
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Tal... I read it based on recommendations on TOTV. A very entertaining book....a family's life through the eyes of one very cool dog. Some fun, some sadness, some challenges.

I think you will enjoy it.

Taltarzac725
04-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Tal... I read it based on recommendations on TOTV. A very entertaining book....a family's life through the eyes of one very cool dog. Some fun, some sadness, some challenges.

I think you will enjoy it.

Thanks to both responders. I will try to get it soon. Have some other books I am currently reading though.

jane032657
04-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Loved the book and we are going to see the play in Seattle in May!!!

skyguy79
04-09-2012, 11:22 AM
The Art of Racing in the Rain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Racing_in_the_Rain)

Got a recommendation for this book from a fellow dog lover. Had not heard of it before. Have any TOTVers read this book? What did you think?YES! Read it and loved it. Below is a post I made about it last August:
I don't want to give too much away about the book for the sake of those who want to read it but haven't yet, but "very sad" is not near how I would describe it.

What it is, is a heartwarming story about a man and his close canine companion, and what really makes it interesting is that it's told or narrated from the perspective of the dog. Although there is an element of sadness, the series of events dictated by the dog overshadows that sadness and replaces it with a feeling that somewhat resembles a feeling you get deep down inside when you first fall in love... at least it did for me!

I think I've described as much as I can without revealing that which can both surprise you and generate the feelings that I have described. I too was hesitant to buy and read it at first, but I was oh so glad I did by the time that I finished reading it!

BTW, the full title of the book is "Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog."

Racing in the Rain on Amazon.com: http://tinyurl.com/3gcqc79 (http://tinyurl.com/3gcqc79)

lovsthosebigdogs
04-09-2012, 12:02 PM
This is one of my very favorite books. I read it when it first came out and have told all of my friends about it. I have read other books about dogs and from a 'dogs viewpoint' and found them to be, frankly, pretty stupid IMHO. I am a person who likes to think of herself as pretty dog savy and I don't like it when people think they are thinking like a dog. Heck, I didn't even like Lassie as a kid because I always thought they were making Lassie too human for my tastes. This book has a dog being a dog and we are privileged to be inside his head. I read it in a day and laughed and cried and felt like I lost something when it was over. Everything a good book should be. I hope you enjoy it just as much.

jblum315
04-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Read it years ago. Great book for dog lovers.

karostay
04-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Just read this book last month. One of the best books I ever read! Easy, fast read. Bring a box of tissues; happy tears, sad tears. Lots of good life lessons as well. It touches just about everything. After I finished the book I had to go back and re read the 1st chapter!

Ohiogirl
04-09-2012, 02:57 PM
My book club read it - 2 or 3 of us liked it, several absolutely loved it, but I have to say that about 4-5 months later, I'm not remembering it very well, which probably means it's not on my top 10 list, or it could mean my memory is worsening - both options are possibilities.

Golfer in Sanibel
04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
As a golden retriever lover and a race racer wannabee, I absolutely loved this book.

Barefoot
04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
I read the book aloud to my dogs and we all loved it. :doggie: :doggie: ;) What a great ending!

skyguy79
04-09-2012, 04:53 PM
My book club read it - 2 or 3 of us liked it, several absolutely loved it, but I have to say that about 4-5 months later, I'm not remembering it very well, which probably means it's not on my top 10 list, or it could mean my memory is worsening - both options are possibilities.Are you liking it to Chinese food, where you eat and an hour later you're hungry again? :mmmm:
Seriously, I fully understand you. Been there, done that!

I read the book aloud to my dogs and we all loved it. :doggie: :doggie: ;) What a great ending!I read it to my cats too, and one of them said... "Yea, right! A dog can write books my butt! Ha... ha... ha! Next thing you'll be telling me is that dogs can talk too!" :a20:

Taltarzac725
04-09-2012, 06:02 PM
I read the book aloud to my dogs and we all loved it. :doggie: :doggie: ;) What a great ending!

Just do not read it to Fumar.

skyguy79
04-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Just do not read it to Fumar.No problem there Tal. Fumar is not a dog, he's a dog lover! :throwtomatoes: