PDA

View Full Version : Restless Leg Problem

Tinkerbelle
06-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Anyone with this problem. Would like any help you might give for this problem. On meds right now but nothing helps.:

VillagesFlorida
06-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Are you taking magnesium supplements? If not, go to a good health foods store where you can buy "Magnesium Citrate", as this is the kind that your body will use the best. Take at least 400 mg a day. I started taking it for sleep problems but my husband's doctor also told him to take it for his restless legs. I have discovered that 3/4 of us do not get enough Magnesium in our diets. A big advantage of having enough Magnesium is that it makes our muscles relax. It's good for our heart, blood pressure, diabetes and migraines, to mention only a few of its benefits. It might be worth a try.

bandsdavis
06-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I developed this problem about 2 years ago. I read an article in the local paper by an MD who said a number of his patients put a bar of Ivory Soap between the bottom sheet and the mattress cover of the bed and it relieves the symptoms. He basically said he has no idea why it works, but his patients swear by it. So I tried it, and it works! I have had no problems since. Give it a try.

Sue

skyguy79
06-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Anyone with this problem. Would like any help you might give for this problem. On meds right now but nothing helps.:I was watching The Dr. Oz Show today and they had a segment on acupuncture. I won't go into detail about the segment, but there seemed to be several people on the show and in the audience that showed that they got relief from pain from acupuncture. With your post I went to a Google search to see if acupuncture was used with RLS and what was said. I found the following site about RLS and it was an interesting site along with some coverage on alternate treatment like acupuncture. It may or may not lead to any solutions for you, but I thought it might at least be an interesting read for you.

Restless Leg Syndrome - 5 Natural Remedies and Treatments to Try (http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/relief_restless_legs.htm)

Shimpy
06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
I developed this problem about 2 years ago. I read an article in the local paper by an MD who said a number of his patients put a bar of Ivory Soap between the bottom sheet and the mattress cover of the bed and it relieves the symptoms. He basically said he has no idea why it works, but his patients swear by it. So I tried it, and it works! I have had no problems since. Give it a try.

Sue

As bizarre as this soap thing sounds I can tell you it works for me. By the way, it doesn't have to be Ivory soap, as I have had success with any type. I can't tell you how stupid I felt trying it for the first time since I am the type that laughs at quack cures. I first learned about this from "The Peoples Pharmacy" which wrote a daily column in our local paper in South Florida. They have a web site and offer many simple cures. They are husband and wife pharmacist and offer many natural or simple cures.

pooh
06-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Magnesium supplements have been shown to offer some help with restless leg syndrome, but do recognize that they might not be good for all to take. magnesium supplements might cause problems when taken with certain medications. Here's a link that offers info on what types of medications magnesium probably shouldn't be taken with.

MAGNESIUM: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-998-MAGNESIUM.aspx?activeIngredientId=998&activeIngredientName=MAGNESIUM)

Sable99
06-20-2012, 06:35 PM
My mother takes the generic of Mirapex -- Pramipexole-d1hcl, 1 mg. She takes 1 tablet 3 times a day. Mirapex is also a medication for Parkinson's Disease.

I have a funny story to tell you though! Mom had suffered for years with restless leg syndrome and nothing worked. One day, my late father was at his cardiologist and he asked how Mom was doing. Mom never complains but mentioned the restless leg problem. The doctor had his nurse call his wife to find out what medication his wife took for restless leg. It turned out to be Mirapex! Mom and Dad thought they were pretty smart to get her problem solved at his appointment. She swears by Mirapex and gets her prescriptions through her GP.

zcaveman
06-20-2012, 07:54 PM
My wie takes "Restless Legs". It is in the fiber section in WalMart and Wal-Greens.

Tinkerbelle
06-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Thank you all for your help and ideas we will try them and hope they may work.

Joaniesmom
06-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Anyone with this problem. Would like any help you might give for this problem. On meds right now but nothing helps.:

I had restless leg for several years. (One leg only.) It drove me nuts! To make a really long story short, it evolved into something called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. RSD. No more restless legs but I sure wish I had it back.

If this doesn't clear up soon, and I do mean soon, please see a neurologist.

Are you kidding me about a cake of soap! C'mon. No one seriously thinks that would work. That's just a mental response to a suggestion. You might as well stick it in your mouth like poor Ralphie in The Christmas Story.

Don't delay getting competent medical treatment by fooling around with Old Wive's Tales. Apologies to Old Wives. I'm definitely NOT saying or even suggesting that you have RSD, just that some conditions do best when caught early.

I wish you good luck with this problem. It's tough when you don't get a good night's sleep.

bandsdavis
06-21-2012, 07:32 AM
"Are you kidding me about a cake of soap! C'mon. No one seriously thinks that would work. That's just a mental response to a suggestion. You might as well stick it in your mouth like poor Ralphie in The Christmas Story."

There are many, many remedies to various health and physical issues that modern medicine cannot explain, but that do in fact give on-going relief to problems and that the medical community recognizes and even sometimes suggests. The bar of soap for restless leg syndrome is one of them, used by many people with good effect, your disparaging and condescending comment aside.

graciegirl
06-21-2012, 08:34 AM
"Are you kidding me about a cake of soap! C'mon. No one seriously thinks that would work. That's just a mental response to a suggestion. You might as well stick it in your mouth like poor Ralphie in The Christmas Story."

There are many, many remedies to various health and physical issues that modern medicine cannot explain, but that do in fact give on-going relief to problems and that the medical community recognizes and even sometimes suggests. The bar of soap for restless leg syndrome is one of them, used by many people with good effect, your disparaging and condescending comment aside.

I didn't think it was condescending. Soap seems a little far fetched to me too, and her advice to see a neurologist is a good one, in my opinion.

Everyone will do what they would do anyway, regardless.

Some of us are fans of alternative therapy and some are not.

The old medical adage "First, do no harm" is a good one I think.

skyguy79
06-21-2012, 09:28 AM

Sue

There are many, many remedies to various health and physical issues that modern medicine cannot explain, but that do in fact give on-going relief to problems and that the medical community recognizes and even sometimes suggests. The bar of soap for restless leg syndrome is one of them, used by many people with good effect, your disparaging and condescending comment aside.With all due respect, I don't get it??? You were the one who suggested the soap, then you posted a negative response to another about it???

SukiChu
06-21-2012, 09:45 AM
It has been found that people with sleep apnea also have RLS. Get a sleep study. If you have apnea and cooperate with treatment (cpap) you won't have the restless leg issue any longer. Good luck!!

bandsdavis
06-21-2012, 11:15 AM
With all due respect, I don't get it??? You were the one who suggested the soap, then you posted a negative response to another about it???

Skyguy79, I think you missed the thread sequence a little (very easy to do from my experience). My last post was in response to a previous post (partially quoted at the beginning) that in my opinion questioned the efficacy of the soap idea a bit too harshly, given that it is in fact used successfully by many people.

bandsdavis
06-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Gracie, the part we found condescening was the "stick it in your mouth like poor Ralphie" part. We agree wholeheartedly that people should seek professional medical advice first. Since that seems to not have worked yet for the original poster, we thought this was a worthwhile suggestion, since it has definitely worked for us, farfetched or not.

batman911
06-21-2012, 11:55 AM
I would get RLS occassionally when I was running and training a lot. Sports DOC told me to drink some Gatorade every day. RLS went away.

graciegirl
06-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Gracie, the part we found condescening was the "stick it in your mouth like poor Ralphie" part. We agree wholeheartedly that people should seek professional medical advice first. Since that seems to not have worked yet for the original poster, we thought this was a worthwhile suggestion, since it has definitely worked for us, farfetched or not.

OH! Thank you for clarifying. Always enjoy your posts.

bandsdavis
06-21-2012, 12:41 PM
OH! Thank you for clarifying. Always enjoy your posts.

We enjoy yours very much as well. We move into our new home in St. Charles 2 weeks from today, and look forward to meeting you and more of the TOTV folks at Crispers in the future. :a040:

Bill and Sue

skyguy79
06-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Skyguy79, I think you missed the thread sequence a little (very easy to do from my experience). My last post was in response to a previous post (partially quoted at the beginning) that in my opinion questioned the efficacy of the soap idea a bit too harshly, given that it is in fact used successfully by many people.I've read your posts in the past and I knew something had to be wrong with what I was reading. Now I know what it was. I'm used to quotes being segregated in it's own frame whereas you quoted it withing the body of your post causing me to misunderstand because I missed you had quote marks around the part you were responding to! Sorry, my bad for missing the quotes! Anyway, I'm glad we're on the same page now, or should I say measure like all good musicians should be. (keyboard here - strictly amateur) :laugh:

graciegirl
06-21-2012, 01:00 PM
We enjoy yours very much as well. We move into our new home in St. Charles 2 weeks from today, and look forward to meeting you and more of the TOTV folks at Crispers in the future. :a040:

Bill and Sue

Our welcome mat is always out. So happy for you!!!

bandsdavis
06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Skyguy, we'll have to get together and play sometime! Do you sit in with any of the various clubs?

CarolSells
06-21-2012, 02:35 PM
I have unfortunately broken bones in both of my wrists (luckily, at different times) over the last five years. One of the worst parts of the recovery process was at night when all was quiet and I would notice that my arm was hurting, mainly because it was impossible to find a comfortable position for it. My friend in Louisiana told me about the bar of soap. I use curved bars of soap so I put one in a knee high thin sock, cupped my hand around the bar of soap and sock, and wrapped the sock around my wrist to hold it all in place. It's amazing! It works! I don't care if it is psychological; I didn't need to take drugs and it wasn't a replacement for any medical care.

I also have restless legs if I have spent a large amount of my day on my feet. I'll try the soap again and let you know what the outcome is.

skyguy79
06-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Skyguy, we'll have to get together and play sometime! Do you sit in with any of the various clubs?Sent you a PM.

Shimpy
06-21-2012, 05:08 PM
What harm can happen if you try the bar of soap? It's not like trying a drug, and you won't experience side effects. I tried it as stupid as I thought it sounded and it worked for me. How stupid does sticking needles into your body sound (acupunture) yet it is now a days accepted by most everyone.

pooh
06-21-2012, 05:23 PM
I, too, wonder if a bar of soap could work, but also feel it's something that will cause no harm if tried.

We're traveling right now and the hotel we're in has some fragrant soap bars. A body gets pretty tense riding all day, maybe that soap will help achy muscles and the rls that shows up every once in a while...;)

Boudicca
06-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I have Restless LS, and my doctor connected the syndrome with narcolepsy and/or sleep apnea. Having been diagnosed after testing at a sleep clinic, I now have a sleep apnea breathing machine, as well as RLS script. The combination works well. I personally realized that some of the symptoms are worse when I fully embrace all TV has to offer, ie, 3 games of golf in two days, bowling in a league, daily yoga, and Walk Away the Pounds was a tad "over doing things" As my dad used to say "all things in moderation".... :)

Villages PL
06-24-2012, 11:51 AM

Sounds like it could be a placebo effect. Nothing wrong with that except placebos usually don't work long term. Placebos often work even when the person knows it's a placebo. How neat is that? I think they should start selling placebos over-the-counter in the pharmacy section.

senior citizen
06-25-2012, 05:13 AM

An inlaw had restless leg syndrome so bad that it caused her husband to get up and leave, due to lack of sleep on his part. She kept kicking him during the night.

Her doctor prescribed a medication which is normally used to treat Parkinson's Disease. He also told her she was "anemic" and needed iron rich foods.

Another friend was told to wrap her legs in warm fleece blankets at night.
That actually worked for her without drugs.

Apparently, her legs were cramping from the cold temperatures.

Another friend went the accupuncture route and that also worked for her.

Apparently, RLS is very common after menopause. Overdoing it with exercise and sports can make it worse in some people........not all.

The magnesium suggestion is a great one........that also does work.

lucyc
06-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Tinkerbelle

Inflammation is believed to be a key factor when it comes to Restless Legs Syndrome. A new study was published in the

January 14, 2012 issue of "Sleep Medicine Review Journal" that supports this theory:
http://www.rlcure.com/rls_study.pdf

You can view the results of other related scientific studies and learn about some helpful solutions here:
An Absolute Cure for Restless Legs Syndrome (http://www.rlcure.com)

A blog for RLS sufferers with helpful tips can be found here:
The Restless Legs Blog (or how I tried to convince Big Pharma that my legs are better) (http://therestlesslegsblog.wordpress.com)

Hope this helps!

David

Houselover
02-10-2013, 10:58 AM
After trying a lot of supplements which didn't help, fianlly got relief by cutting out caffinated sodas, coffee, chocolate and any other product containing caffine..The only drug i take now is ropinirole and am not bothered by the dancing legs...Good luck..

kittygilchrist
02-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Just saying jumpy legs may not threaten one's life but can challenge sleep and sanity. It feels as horribly debilitating as nausea. I've had it to be caused by medications, and my mother had it probably due to circulation problems. Simple quinine as is in tonic water is said to help but i would see a doctor because it is a miserable thing to live with.

ureout
02-17-2013, 02:16 PM
my wife has had RLS for years and has tried every cure or med seeking relief. A while back i told her about reading about the bar of soap cure and she just shook her head in dis-belief. A couple weeks ago after a few bad nites I said please try it. She stuck a bar between the bottom sheet and matress cover and so far so good ever since.