PDA

View Full Version : tv on the lania

gomoho
07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I have an enclosed lanai, not climate controlled, that I would like to enjoy a television on. Will a regular tv work if protected from the rain or do you really need to buy a tv especially made for the weather? Promise to keep the volume low and please don't tell me there are too many things to do here to watch tv. I enjoy the news during the day and to each his own. Thanks.

tommy steam
07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I have an enclosed lanai, not climate controlled, that I would like to enjoy a television on. Will a regular tv work if protected from the rain or do you really need to buy a tv especially made for the weather? Promise to keep the volume low and please don't tell me there are too many things to do here to watch tv. I enjoy the news during the day and to each his own. Thanks.

I dont think I ever heard of an outdoor tv...but who knows?:smiley:

jane032657
07-03-2012, 11:07 AM
My friends in Seattle who have a palatial home on the water have an outdoor tv (yes in Seattle) that they have some type of covering to protect it, it is out there year round and they love it. I had not seen it either but it sure works for them. They have the breeze and sound of the ocean on one side and the tv on the other side, well protected from the elements. It is awesome.

quirky3
07-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Here are some tips from a previous discussion thread (including advice for "quiet" TVs) :icon_wink:
Best television for sunny lanai - Talk of The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/best-television-sunny-lanai-54377/)

batman911
07-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Do your neighbors a favor and get a television that will support wireless headphones.

Bogie Shooter
07-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Do your neighbors a favor and get a television that will support wireless headphones.

This set up is not necessary.

Deerfly
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
I have just installed a TV in our recently enclosed lanai. Same TV we had in a bedroom. Just had to extend an electrical circuit through the wall and splice into a HD cable in the very hot attic. Works great!

njbchbum
07-03-2012, 12:43 PM
gomoho - we, too have a tv on our enclosed lanai. we keep it out there with its protection from the rain and it has been fine. it is just an off-the-shelf tv and nothing special re out-of-doors.

gomoho
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Guess you missed my point about keeping the volume low - and lucky for them none of them are here in the summer.

gomoho
07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback - went to BestBuy and bought a regular TV and will hope for the best.

asianthree
07-03-2012, 04:11 PM
you can always return it

Ooper
07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
We've had a TV on our lanai for years. Never had a problem with it. We bring it in when we are on vacation but otherwise, just cover it with a towel when not in use.

tommy steam
07-03-2012, 08:26 PM

yea:agree:

Ooper
07-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Pretty much any TV bought in the last 5-10 years will support wireless headphones.

Carla B
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
We lived on a sailboat on salt water for several years and had an inexpensive Motorola TV. Never had any problem with it. It was bolted to the shelf and survived many a storm.

batman911
07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Guess you missed my point about keeping the volume low - and lucky for them none of them are here in the summer.

Don' be so sure about low volume not annoying anyone. Noise travels farther than you my think.