PDA

View Full Version : lighting for birdcages

ljones190
07-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Some nights we would to sit outside in the birdcage and possibly play cards and socialize, after dark lighting is needed, we would need something brighter than rope lighting. We are considering string lights 25 foot long with a bulb spaced every 12". We will attach using 3m type wire wrap clips to the frame of the birdcage, has anyone done this and are you happy with the result. We would take them down when not in TV.

Thanks

Bogie Shooter
07-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Would this resemble Christmas lighting?

jane032657
07-04-2012, 09:41 AM
We put coach lighting on the house and have switches so we can have one two or three on. It is attractive and easy to control.

ljones190
07-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Would this resemble Christmas lighting?

Yes except the bulbs are about 2"tall x 2" diameter on a white cord, similar to what you may see at outdoor seating at a restaurant. I think they look nice.

ljones190
07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
We put coach lighting on the house and have switches so we can have one two or three on. It is attractive and easy to control.

Good idea had not considered that, did you do this after the build, could you let me know via pm approx. cost.

Thanks

jane032657
07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
I did send PM but for others interested, we did it when we were adding the birdcage and closing in the lanai to make it a Florida room. The lights came from Home Depot and were probably $50-60 a piece of so and then the cost of the electrician. I do not know the cost of the electrician as we had quite a variety of electrical work done and it was part of the package, but I cannot imagine it was too expensive. They look attractive and it is nice that you can just have one or all on.

Bogie Shooter
07-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Doesn't building code require a light at the back door(s)?

jane032657
07-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I just looked at my pictures that I took the day we bought our place, before we changed everything to a Florida Room and added birdcage, etc. There was no light outside the lanai in the yard.

jane032657
07-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Here are the lights after

Bogie Shooter
07-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I just looked at my pictures that I took the day we bought our place, before we changed everything to a Florida Room and added birdcage, etc. There was no light outside the lanai in the yard.

Were there lights inside the birdcage?

ljones190
07-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Doesn't building code require a light at the back door(s)?

Do not think we had a light outside the screened lanai when the house was built in early 2010, we than enclosed the lanai into a Florida type room, when this was done a solar light was installed, we than added a birdcage and the solar light was removed and no lighting was added or required, of course we had proper permits and inspections. So I guess with a birdcage you do not need a light at the back door.

jane032657
07-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Were there lights inside the birdcage?

The birdcage was built after we bought it. There were no lights outside the house when it was just a screened in lanai. Then we added the birdcage and then we added the lights which are INSIDE the birdcage and attached to the house as per the pictures. It is hard to see the birdcage but the lights are inside of it attached to the house. Does this explain it better?