PDA

View Full Version : NY vs. FL

rln1012
07-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Advantages or disadvantages of changing residence from NY to FL. Any pitfalls I should be aware of.

faithfulfrank
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I sold our NY home and moved down here full time in December. I'll never go back.....love it down here.

Pros- My property taxes down here with the homestead exemption, ($1,000-$1500) In NY just over $6,000.

Gas is cheaper, utilities are cheaper overall, do not need as many clothes, (the only gloves you will need is a golf glove....) Snow removal is WAY cheaper!!! No annual car inspections. Cars do not rust, nothing is rusty, no potholes, etc.

I think the overall cost of living is cheaper.

Cons- Milk costs more. Water costs WAY more. Lawn care costs more.
Car registration is a big hit the first time....but it is NOT the big deal folks make it to be. Roughly $300-$360 per car. One time cost for the plate, afterwards it is not too bad. Driver's license is not difficult if you bring the right documents the FIRST time.....if you have a passport it is painless. They have a website you should go to first to see what to bring.
Box wine is not 5 litres, only 3 litres..(same price, a dumb Florida law)

The best thing is just that you are not "pushed" to get things done by the seasons.....no rush to clean the gutters out by winter, no rush to rake leaves in the fall, no need to get anything that freezes out of the garage. Anything can wait until tomorrow if need be. Was not like that in NY.

I think in life folks regret more what they DID NOT do then what they've done. I'm retired and 54 years old......glad I did not wait....none of us are guaranteed tomorrow and we all only have so many good years to enjoy this great lifestyle.....

Good bye NY....living well is the best revenge.....

Frank

rjm1cc
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Advantages or disadvantages of changing residence from NY to FL. Any pitfalls I should be aware of.
In the big picture probably none. Your costs should be lower (but may not be due to your life style) and the weather better.
Medically speaking the summers will be warmer and more humid which could matter.

ijusluvit
07-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I sold our NY home and moved down here full time in December. I'll never go back.....love it down here.

Pros- My property taxes down here with the homestead exemption, ($1,000-$1500) In NY just over $6,000.

Gas is cheaper, utilities are cheaper overall, do not need as many clothes, (the only gloves you will need is a golf glove....) Snow removal is WAY cheaper!!! No annual car inspections. Cars do not rust, nothing is rusty, no potholes, etc.

I think the overall cost of living is cheaper.

Cons- Milk costs more. Water costs WAY more. Lawn care costs more.
Car registration is a big hit the first time....but it is NOT the big deal folks make it to be. Roughly $300-$360 per car. One time cost for the plate, afterwards it is not too bad. Driver's license is not difficult if you bring the right documents the FIRST time.....if you have a passport it is painless. They have a website you should go to first to see what to bring.
Box wine is not 5 litres, only 3 litres..(same price, a dumb Florida law)

The best thing is just that you are not "pushed" to get things done by the seasons.....no rush to clean the gutters out by winter, no rush to rake leaves in the fall, no need to get anything that freezes out of the garage. Anything can wait until tomorrow if need be. Was not like that in NY.

I think in life folks regret more what they DID NOT do then what they've done. I'm retired and 54 years old......glad I did not wait....none of us are guaranteed tomorrow and we all only have so many good years to enjoy this great lifestyle.....

Good bye NY....living well is the best revenge.....

Frank

Hey Frank, with your life philosophy it is obvious you are very smart. And, as a WNY'er I can understand how you come by it.

Just wondering when you plan on qualifying for 'flat out brilliant' by moving to TV?

jimbo2012
07-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm not selling my home here, renting. But will claim residency and take the tax advantage under the homestead exemption.

We have been snowbirding for 5 years at another retirement place and we have found the cost of living is lower.

No state income tax is good, home insurance lower than NY, as is heath insurance.

Biggest advantage is the size of TV and the activities keeping you active and in better shape to some degree depending on your choices.

If you're a couch potato you can find other places less expensive.

2BNTV
07-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Frank:

You nailed on the first try. :smiley:

Now to move to TV so your brain can be picked. :jester:

Kelsie52
07-06-2012, 05:38 PM

We sold our home on Long Island and moved here Oct 2010 ----

Biggest Pro --a lot less New Yorkers !!!!!!! People are great here --slower pace --I just about have forgotten where the horn is in the car --and only use the horn in the cart to wave to people

Price of the homes are affordable (especially if you sell up North)
Taxes are 1/3 of Long Island --No state tax on Pension --
Going out to EAT and Drink a lot less --then up North
Insurance for the car and home are much less

Supermarket prices are about the same --some items are more expensive here ---

The weather is great ---its HOT during the summer but the A/C here is great
and Utilities ---except for water --are reasonable----

We miss some things in NY --like family --and some friends --but they visit all the time !!!!

I do Miss driving on The Belt Pkway --------------------

VISIT -- you will SELL __MOVE___
:beer3::gc:

cuzg8tor
07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
We are native Floridians who grew up here but spent 20 years in Syracuse. Our thoughts on pros and cons:

Pros:

Yes, it is really hot here in TV for 4 months but then you have eight months of really great weather. Syracuse summers were awesome but way too short and winters were way too long with little sunshine. Unlimited social activities here to include the entertainment at the squares and at the Orange Blossom Opry in Weisdale as well as the Savanna Center. A lot of previously very important folks live in TV but you would never know that talking to them. We feel safe and isolated from most crime in our community.

Cons:

Got used to contractors being honest, reliable, punctual and competent in New York. Not sure I can say the same for many contractors in FL. Having said that, thankful for TOTV comments and "Citizens Against Crimes" to help us pick good contractors and deal with the crooks. Our kids and grand kids are grown but NY schools are the best and FL schools leave a lot to be desired. I miss the ethnic festivals and food in Syracuse.

Pros and Cons to both places but I would never move back to NY even though I always say central/upstate NY is one of the most beautiful places we have ever lived. Just too much snow!!!

cathyw
07-06-2012, 06:29 PM
We moved from NY (Queens/Brooklyn) 6 years ago. Best move ever.Lots of advantages as others have posted. Only things we really miss are going to Broadway shows, Lincoln Center, etc. and NY pizza ( but that's another thread )

faithfulfrank
07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Frank:

You nailed on the first try. :smiley:

Now to move to TV so your brain can be picked. :jester:

You are all so kind. I'm only a few short miles south of all of you good folks, and my brain is always available for the picking............although my wife tells me a seem to lose it on a somewhat regular basis.....:loco:

Life is full of trade-offs, and there is no perfect place this side of Heaven, but I am very pleased we made the move to Florida. I miss the smell of the fall leaves, but love seeing my palm trees sway in the wind. I miss my apple trees, but love the smell of the orange blossoms on my citrus trees.

I miss the Canadian geese flying overhead in that "V" formation, but are daily awed by the Sand Hill Cranes and the Anhingas, Egrets & Ibus I see in my backyard springfed pond. The air feels and smells different down here, and I like it.

I like digging a 3' hole in my yard and not hitting even one rock. I like knowing I'll never shovel another scoop of snow again. I like having only one license plate. I like kissing my wife in the winter and not having my lips blow off by static electricity. I'm still amazed that NY sends me this big check every month and will for as long as I live so I can live here.

In NY, I was the second oldest guy in the Fire Dept, one of the "old guys". Down here at 54 I'm the "Kid". We are all indeed blessed.

Frank

blueash
07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Aren't there laws which regulate where you must claim your legal residence? I don't think you really have a choice. One of our legal experts (real or imagined) should have an answer (correct or made up) for you. Your county property appraiser's office likely is a good resource for the Florida rules. You'd have to check with someone in NY for what their rules might be. I believe (opinion no fact) that it is fairly easy to get Florida to accept you as a resident.. but sometimes the other state will still claim you, meaning they will still demand their state income taxes and probate etc. So you should be sure that not only you satisfy the Florida requirements for become a resident here but those of NY for having given up residence there.

faithfulfrank
07-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Yes. I'm no expert, but I was told you can't be a resident of two states....it is wherever you live 6 months and one day a year or more.....but then that does not make sense if one travels all over....so I do not know.

I do know (I've been told) that Florida looks very harshly on those who try to claim the Florida Homestead exemption when you are not a legal Florida resident, and they should. The homestead exemption is for Florida legal residents.

If you are honest you will have no problems....it is only those who try to get away with something that will have problems.

Frank

Hal :-)
07-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Six months and a day is the rule. I'm going through that thought process now. NY has the STAR exemption and NY property taxes are very high compared to Fl. Social Security isn't taxed in NY and pensions are exempt to $20K. So it depends on your situation. It depends on the property tax, the exemptions, and the income subject to NY tax. I don't think Florida cares where you spend your time as long as you don't homestead and take a property tax reduction elsewhere. I also assume NY isn't going to pursue unless you have significant taxable income. In the end I think you have to decide where you'll live for 181 days. I always think they can't be too strict about it. Think about celebrities and the truly rich. They have homes all over. It's up to them to select their tax home, which may well be somewhere they spent a lot less that 6 months.

2newyorkers
07-07-2012, 06:16 PM
We spend equal amount of time in NY and TV. As HAL stated, you can not claim both Star and Homestead. In our situation, our Star reimbursement is more than our total property taxes in TV, therefore it is more financially beneficial for us to remain NY residents.

rjm1cc
07-08-2012, 09:14 AM
See State of Florida.com - Florida Residency (http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=38)
When I first read this I was thinking you meet to move to Fl or not. The 6 month and 1 day recomendations are correct. The first rule is where do you intend to have your principle residence. Next you have to prove this to the states. Thus if you move from NY to FL and intend to have FL as your principal residence you should change your drivers license to Fl, register to vote in Fl, don't vote in NY, change your mail address to Florida, and have a place to live in Fl. If I was using a local NY bank I would also change to a local Fl bank. Since you intend Fl to be your home and have made the above changes I would count travel time away from home (Fl) as time lived in Fl in order to get the six months. If you were traveling and your spouce was staying at the Fl home that would also be a plus. The problem is if you try and spend 50% of your time in both places. If that is what you are doing I would try to make sure that for the first year or two I was actualy in Fl for 6 months and a day just to be sure.

tommy steam
07-08-2012, 10:35 AM
We moved from NY (Queens/Brooklyn) 6 years ago. Best move ever.Lots of advantages as others have posted. Only things we really miss are going to Broadway shows, Lincoln Center, etc. and NY pizza ( but that's another thread )

AH, the pizza...I agree The best!

Josie70
07-08-2012, 02:13 PM

where in Brooklyn and queens?